CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just dropped my bike off and they said the 600 mile Service with only be $145. I was surprised by this and hope that is all it is. They told me they have sold quite a few of these bikes now and it is only 1 hour of labor and the rest is for the oil, filters, etc. So that is not too bad really. It seems that in the S.F. bay area here things are kind of expensive.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hope I'm doing the right thing, bought 4 quarts of oil, filter and clutch filter and will attempt to change oil myself and save a little.
Robert

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Hope I'm doing the right thing, bought 4 quarts of oil, filter and clutch filter and will attempt to change oil myself and save a little.
Robert
Other than the oil filter being a little tough to get off the first time due to factory over torqueing, its extremely easy to do. I would suggest buying a metal, not plastic, socket type oil filter removal tool for the first time oil filter removal. I would also recommend investing in a measured transmission fluid funnel with long fill tube and petcock. This will allow you to measure the oil avoiding over filling. The forum addresses oil changes so you might want to read up if your not familiar with it. Also be sure to check your chain tension at this time as well.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just dropped my bike off and they said the 600 mile Service with only be $145. I was surprised by this and hope that is all it is. They told me they have sold quite a few of these bikes now and it is only 1 hour of labor and the rest is for the oil, filters, etc. So that is not too bad really. It seems that in the S.F. bay area here things are kind of expensive.
Let me guess, JeffR. Was it done at East Bay Motorsports? :) They charge $90 per hour, so that's ok. $90 labor + $25 oil + $10 filter + $10 clutch filter is approx $145

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
minige,

No, it is at Honda in Fremont, so I will pick it up later since it is done now. Someone posted on this site that they were going to charge them $300 so I figure the price they gave me wasn't too bad.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I payed $140.45 last week for my first service here in Wisconsin too. The receipt said they checked it over, adjusted and lubed as needed and aired the tires. No complaints from me. I just wish the dealer was closer.

·
Registered
191 Posts
My dealer quoted me $39.00 for a basic oil change. I have a manual trans so no filter to mess with there. To adjust and lube the chain was another $20.00

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just got my bike back from the dealer and it was $145 so that isn't too bad for dealers around here. I also had them put my rear carrier on since the bike was there and the parts came in. They only charged 1 hour minus a 20% discount since I just bought it. I know I could have done it myself but it was there and I just wanted it done. So I'm happy with the dealer and this is my 3rd bike I have bought there.

I will put my Bestem Red top case on this weekend. So after this I'm all set now.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
I have had a number of bad experiences with dealer techs not bolting things back up, (ie exhaust bolts) and wires left disconnected. Lets face it, they get paid by the job and more jobs equal more money. It is hard to find a service department who does good work. Loose bolts have no place on a motorcycle so double check their work. I do my own maintenance unless special tools are required, as in tire changes. It is good to form a relationship with the service dept just in case you need them someday and taking you bike in for the 600 mile service is a good way to start.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Lebanon Valley Cycles in Jonestown Pa did mine last fall for $122, parts $71, balance labor, including oil/filter/dct filter etc.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Lebanon Valley Cycles in Jonestown Pa did mine last fall for $122, parts $71, balance labor, including oil/filter/dct filter etc.
My dealer charged me $123.71 for my first service. They threw in a charge of $1.50 for shop supplies. Boy, did I ever get ripped off!!! :D

·
Registered
289 Posts
We did the 600 mile service last night. Used a small car jack to lift the bike. We put a threaded rod through the holes for a center stand and jacked it up on that. Oil change was straight forward. We also checked the chain tension. No chain lube yet- probably after the next ride.

I bought an oil filter (dealer gave me the crush washer for the drain plug), 4 quarts of the Honda recommended oil, big can of chain lube and some moly grease that hubby needed for a tire change. Came to $80 with tax. Oil change and chain tension adjust took about 45 minutes total.

It's probably the last time I'll purchase the oil change products at the dealer. Hubs thought it better to do the first time. I'll be looking for a better deal on oil and filter next time around.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Is there anything else besides the oil change and chain service in the 600 mi service that needs to be done?

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
According to the owners manual:

Replace engine oil, oil filter, clutch oil filter
Inspect idle, brake system, brake lock operation (for the DCT), clutch system (for the manual clutch bikes), nuts & bolts, steering head bearings

·
Registered
842 Posts
Well, "ripped off" depends on where you are, to some degree. Here in PHX, my dealer gets $80 per hour, plus supplies, plus taxes. I think you did fine.

There is no question that a DIY approach is cheaper, esp for an oil change. My back and hip won't allow that. And I would be staring at the machine wondering how to do all those other inspections and cleanings. So, to me [not talking about anyone else], it is well worth those charges. AND, I have the peace of mind to know that warranty is upheld quite simply by letting them do it all. I never want to be in a pi^&%ing contest about warranty, down the road.

Ride Often, Ride Safe
f:cool:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Im in California. Merced my dealer is charging me $210.00 for first service. 120 is labour. But letting them do it will save me from a infringement on the warranty. So ill shell out the money.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Robert
Like JFC says they over tighten ALL the bolts. Any time you take it to a shop, they only do things according to factory which is sometimes way too much.
My misadventure with that was memorable.
Aside from getting the engine filter off the rest was cake by comparison.

Depending on your choices of parts I expect you'll save at least 100 dollars every oil change (they charge 90 an hour for shop time at my preferred place).

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
I have had a number of bad experiences with dealer techs not bolting things back up, (ie exhaust bolts) and wires left disconnected. Lets face it, they get paid by the job and more jobs equal more money. It is hard to find a service department who does good work. Loose bolts have no place on a motorcycle so double check their work. I do my own maintenance unless special tools are required, as in tire changes. It is good to form a relationship with the service dept just in case you need them someday and taking you bike in for the 600 mile service is a good way to start.
That is why I say that if you find a good dealer that does good work, its like gold. There are good ones and bad ones. I find the places with the experienced techs who stay there for the long haul seem to be the best. Other places with a lot of turnover in their mechanics seem to have problems.

Also I think a lot of it is the service manager too, a good service manager runs a tight ship and makes sure things are done right. I just bought a new set of tires. The cost of having the dealer do the install was not the cheapest, but I knew they would do it right. And they did. Everything they have done for me has been perfect and they have given good advice that saved me money.

So I would not write off all dealerships, just try and find one that you can trust and then build a good relationship. If you are lucky you can find one. Especially with the CTX being a rather unique bike, I do think having a Honda trained service center do the work should help. Who else is going to know how to deal with a DCT bike for example?

Aside from that, if you have the skills and the time, do the more basic stuff yourself. That way you can be 100% sure its been done with care.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I scheduled my 600 mile service a few weeks ago with my dealer. It was supposed to be last Friday. I arranged a ride to pick me up from the dealer which is 45 minutes away. A few hours after dropping my motorcycle off, they called and said that they sold their only filter the day before and they would have to order a new one. My motorcycle sat with the dealer over a three day holiday weekend with gorgeous weather. They said it would be ready early Tuesday morning. I again arranged a ride up to the dealer after lunch on Tuesday. They called and said that it wouldn't be finished until late on Tuesday, so I arranged another ride up for Tuesday evening. Yet again, the dealer called and said that the Filter didn't come in. They said my motorcycle would be ready early Wednesday. On Wednesday the process repeated. They have finally finished and my motorcycle will be ready on Thursday.

I can't begin to describe how disgusted I am that it has taken my dealer seven days to complete a simple service. I will never set foot into their building again.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts