CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Threatened to drop freezing rain on me but I managed to sneak out for a little over an hour today.

No leather jacket, just a winter jacket and leather vest. No chaps either but one leg is prosthetic so I don't feel it any way. An extra sock on my real foot works fine. Nice leather winter riding gloves, and a full face helmet. didn't even need extra neck protection.

I kept it to some backroads to keep speeds down around 45mph since 60mph got a bit chilly. But of course that means more sudden patches of wet or even snow someone helpfully kicked out into the road.

A big shout out to Global Warming, without whom I would still be buried under 7 feet of snow like I grew up with here.

Attachments

·
Registered
632 Posts
Watch your comments, you may be beamed up to Newfoundland. They got just under a meter of snow in 1 day with 140 km / hour winds last week. Some snow drifts were up to 30 feet high...

·
Registered
183 Posts
On the way home yesterday saw TWO riders, one was a Beamer, the other I didnt get a good look at.
My car temp said 20°F,
There are piles of snow all over and in the city wear they dont plow to well, and the Beamer was headed farther into the city, you'll most likely have to hold yourself up as you slide around a corner!!!
None for me thanks!
I ride when there is NO snow!

·
Registered
713 Posts
One or two days after snow was plowed, if the roads are clear I'll use the CTX to go to work, run errands, visit family, etc. My mini-truck is an all-purpose vehicle, but I also dress more warmly, and in layers so when I arrive the chaps, jacket, sweater, gloves with inserts, and balaclava can be peeled off.

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
When I rode dirt bikes I LOVED to ride in the snow. Roads in the mountains were blocked closed and we went around the barricades to some really great experiences... no traffic,,, stop when or wherever you want...no cops (usually). It's a lot different riding a sub 300# bike on knobbies than it is on a 500# bike on street tires. I used to wear a snowmobile suit, a foam face mask, and a 3/4 helmet with visor and goggles. If we did lay one down, it was no big deal. I wouldn't think of doing that on the CTX.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Almost every morning on my way to work, I see a guy on his naked bike with a sidecar. I can only assume he's a tough old goat because it's too dark to see his face. One morning my car's thermometer showed the outside temp at 16 degrees fahrenheit. He's a lot tougher than me, whoever he is...

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
Almost every morning on my way to work, I see a guy on his naked bike with a sidecar. I can only assume he's a tough old goat because it's too dark to see his face. One morning my car's thermometer showed the outside temp at 16 degrees fahrenheit. He's a lot tougher than me, whoever he is...
Better to see a guy on his naked bike, that a naked guy on his bike. >:)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I was gonna go for a quick ride yesterday when it was 39 degrees but sunny. However the road crews pre-treated the roads for today's snow storm and I didn't want to ride in that stuff or get it sprayed all over me by the car ahead.

So sadface.....no riding.

I used to live in Colorado where 70 degree days in the same week that it was -10 and snowing was common. Here in NH it tends to keep the snow till spring with little melting. But yay Global Warming- we had one year with 9 feet of snow in about a month, then two years of green winters and patches of snow. It's crazy.

Like Daddy Dave, I used to ride dirt bikes in snow (and took my dirt bike to school more than once) all the time. In CO we had a winter racing league, but was more popular with quad guys (and obviously sledheads).
When I had my Arctic Cat 700 ATV I used to ride it more in the winter than summer. Put big ole Mudzilla tires on it and go! Only really stuck it once requiring the winch- it was a beast in snow. I had to sell it due to divorce but man I loved that thing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I ride all year in Indianapolis as long as the road conditions are agreeable. Currently, I ride a Victory Vision to and from work. I'm outfitting a CTX DCT for cold weather riding and should (hopefully) have it complete and ready to test out in the cold. This morning wasn't bad, about 33º. This winter has been mild so I haven't ridden in in less than 20º.

The trick to winter riding is in the preparation. So, I modify my bikes for winter, and when it gets warm, I strip them down for summer.

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
Sometimes it's not a question of whether or not to ride, but simply what to wear. I'll ride down to 32 degrees wearing a set of FreezeOut base layer gear under my jeans, a good pair of wool socks, a light fleece pullover, leather jacket, neck gaiter, full face helmet, and glove liners under my heavy winter gauntlet gloves. I have no plans to buy heated gear...if it's that cold I'll drive.

A big consideration is road conditions. If the roads are clear of ice, snow, and salt/icemelt junk, I'll go. Last week we had mid 40s temps a day after a good steady two day rain washed the roads. It was glorious.

Since returning to riding in 2012, I have ridden in all but two calendar months, and the longest stretch without riding was I believe six weeks. I don't put the bike up for winter, just put a little Sta-bil in the gas and put her on the tender. I love getting out in the winter and I have been known to shovel a path from the shed to the street to get out if needed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This morning was 26º, so I took the Victory Vision for the better wind protection. Roads are clear and dry, it's just February cold. Tonights low is supposed to be around 22º and then Thursday low overnight at around 14º. So, I'll probably ride in tomorrow, but clean the dust off the Buick for Friday. Suspension/tires get really stiff below 20º. I rode the CTX700 in Monday/Tuesday. Wet roads Tuesday morning, so the CTX looks like a ADV bike at the moment as it's coated front to back in salty road wash.

I think the last time I had a clean bike was the day I first bring them home....

I should also mention that I wear heated gear from Warm & Safe. When's it's below 20º, I typically deck out in the full shoe liners, pant liners, jacket liner, and gloves. Above thirty eight, typically it's just a little warmth for the pant liners. I used to wear ADV over pants, but now I usually wear the pants liners with ICON knee pads, which keeps me nice and warm behind the monster nose of the Victory Vision. Having a bike with enough accessory capacity is crucial when the temps fall below 35º.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts