CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cracked my F15 accidently moving the bike around the garage. I recently had a 1979 CB650 that came with a huge windshield that I took off and then sold the CB without the windshield. It is now on my CTX. I cut some off the top and bottom. Works real well and since it has wings it will keep my hands warm this winter. I think the shape is still used by some companies selling on ebay.

thought you all might like a good laugh....

windshield 2.jpg

·
Registered
433 Posts
I actually prefer that look over the mini shields others have posted for their naked versions.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks CeeTeex and som2002. The hard part was figuring out the easiest way to cut really thick old plexiglass. I settled on a wiggle/vibrating battery powered Ryobi saw I got last year (I don't know the technical name of it). it had a half round blade that worked well. I laid the shield on a picnic table on a towel, put making tape for a line, cut one side about 1/4 through, removed the tape, turned the windshield over and cut the other side 1/4 through and then flipped it again and watched the material melt some as I moved the blade. too long and the melted plastic plugged up the saw. worked great though for the 8 different cuts I made. I used my bench grinder to smooth some of the curves being careful not to angle it where the grinding wheel would shatter it. A good learning experience and will be warmer riding this winter when it hits 40. I don't ride in rain at all because cars are good for that.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
VERY nice indeed. Could you show the mounts?

Ride Safe, Ride Often,
f
same places as the F15 in the how to section. only different shape or length of the 1/2 inch flat bar.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
VERY nice indeed. Could you show the mounts?

Ride Safe, Ride Often,
f
I just took a couple of pics of this windshield version.

the bottom mount goes on the headlight where I replaced the button head bolt with a long stud and used 1 nut to snug it into the headlight and a pair of nuts to hold against the bracket. There are rubber washers on each side of the Plexiglas where the bolts go through so the Plexiglas does not rub on the metal brackets.
bottom.jpg

The upper mounts going to the windshield use simple rubber covered metal clamps around the handlebar.
handlebar.jpg

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Very nice! Awhile back, I removed some material from a National Cycle shield on Mrs.'s 650 V-Star. Used a a hand held tool with a fine tooth hack saw blade. Went slow and filed rough spots afterward. No cracking & happy with the result.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Very nice! Awhile back, I removed some material from a National Cycle shield on Mrs.'s 650 V-Star. Used a a hand held tool with a fine tooth hack saw blade. Went slow and filed rough spots afterward. No cracking & happy with the result.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts