CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 3 years of ownership my 2015 dual clutch goes into neutral when I'm coming to a stop and I can't put it into drive again unless I turn the bike off it's just started. I just changed the chain and sprocket but I did put on the right ones 16 front 39 rear I don't think that should have done anything. It never did it before that though any ideas out there TIA

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
Just to be sure is it returning to normal idle speed?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Seems more than a coincidence that the issue started right after the chain and sprocket change. The first thing I would do is go back and physically count and verify that you have 16 teeth front and a 39 tooth rear sprocket with a 520 chain with 112 links. Don’t trust the invoice, part number label or even if it’s stamped 39T. Only physically counting and seeing this with your own eyes that everything is correct can you totally rule out the chain and sprocket change and move on to other possibilities.

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
If it is the chain or sprockets, it should be consistent and repeatable. So did this start on the first ride after the change?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it is the chain or sprockets, it should be consistent and repeatable. So did this start on the first ride after the change?
Here's the whole story this is actually my friend's bike he had a mechanic put a chain and sprockets on they put on a 43 tooth rear sprocket ,well we started reading and the dual clutch should have a 39 tooth rear sprocket so that's when it started to go into neutral, it did it a couple times so they changed it to a 39 tooth sprocket but it is still going into[] neutral on occasion. It never did it prior to the sprocket change.
Just to be sure is it returning to normal idle speed?
Yes normal idle speed

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's the whole story this is actually my friend's bike he had a mechanic put a chain and sprockets on they put on a 43 tooth rear sprocket ,well we started reading and the dual clutch should have a 39 tooth rear sprocket so that's when it started to go into neutral, it did it a couple times so they changed it to a 39 tooth sprocket but it is still going into[] neutral on occasion. It never did it prior to the sprocket change.

·
Registered
696 Posts
You say they who mistakenly put the 43T sprocket on changed it to a 39T tooth. I would personally verify their work is correct by physically counting the teeth on the sprockets especially the front 16T sprocket myself and that it has a 520 chain on it. The chain and sprocket change is at the top of the diagnostic list of suspects and the only way to easily scratch it off the list and move on is to verify everything is correct yourself and not trust that the mechanic corrected his mistake or mistakes.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Your shift control motor may be starting to fail. I had a problem with my bike intermitantly going into "limp" mode. Easy self replacement but not too easy to bench verify. If sprockets and chain are now correct, do a soft reset. if it continues, replace shift control motor, mine was 2015 with over 20k miles on it when it failed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts