CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came by a video review of a 2014 Honda CTX700. There was a part where the reviewer talked about how the DCT transmission behaves on the road when your riding it. It does strange things that the normal rider would never do when riding manually. For instance like switching gears and up-shifting on turns.

Just thought I would share the video to give everyone an idea of Honda's DCT transmission ont he CTX700

Fast forward to 11:20 to see the DCT in action

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks for posting up this video about the Ctx700. S far it is the only video where they would really focus on the DCT transmission. All the rest are just all ride and now talk till the end. the DCT is good for its economical purpose too aside from it kind of being a luxury.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Normally on a regular bike you wouldn't be shifting gears while turning but because its shifting in such low revolutions the bike doesn't even want to react. While none of us would do this on a conventional gearbox motorcycle this one does it for you. Haha upsidemoto I would consider it an aid for novice riders and a luxury for the lazies.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I have not seen this posted in any of the threads, but does anyone know how hard changing the DCT transmission fluid will be? I like to do my own maintenance and repairs on bikes but this DCT is a new animal for me.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I have not seen this posted in any of the threads, but does anyone know how hard changing the DCT transmission fluid will be? I like to do my own maintenance and repairs on bikes but this DCT is a new animal for me.
This same question was asked at Modern Vespa forum by someone considering a CTX700D. This person had an Audi automobile with a dual clutch; loved that transmission; but mentioned that it involved a little more expense with regards to labor and materials; and required shorter service intervals than a typical automatic or standard shift.

No one had an answer for this person. I guess one has to find an NC700D owner or the service department of a dealer for the answer.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Thanks Greg! I will be asking the Dealer service this coming week. With the kind of miles we run up on bikes, I need to know how long the intervals are between changes, and how hard this will be to do. If I can't get answers, I may just have to opt for the standard clutch model. My wife doesn't care that much, and could ride either. She just thought this might be a good option for some steep mountain roads we ride sometimes.
I will post here if I can get some clear answers.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I know what you mean about running up the miles. It's partly about the expense of short service intervals, but it's also about the aggravation of constantly having to pull out the wrenches or having it out of commission at a shop. That's why I want to shed my really-great scooter before all of this starts with the CVT. With regards to scooter tires, they are quite a bit cheaper than MC tires, so the expense isn't really more, especially if you can get someone with a tire changer to do it cheap (as I did), but it's just that I don't like the fact that I'll have to order and deal with a rear tire every 7500 miles in the best of circumstances, even with the longest-lasting tires. And my scooter has the longest belt and CVT service interval of any scooter ever built in this 300 class, but it's still too often for transmission work in my opinion.

With the CTX700, I'll be dealing with the chain every ten days or so, but after a while, that will become more like a routine; like checking the oil and tire pressure. It's just something I'll have to get good and quick at that I'll just have to suck up.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Get some good synthetic chain spray oil. Spray it about every 300 or so miles (unless riding in rain and dirt), clean sprockets about every three or four months.
I put some new Michelin Commander II's on my wifes Vulcan EN500 and she rode it from Tampa to Washington State and back (about 6k miles) plus adding additional 8k miles since we returned. Now we are getting ready to ride up to the Smokey Mtns for a couple weeks on curvy mtn roads. These new tires are incredible. I will be spooning them on to my Vulcan 1700 as soon as I need tires. If they make them in sizes for the CTX, I will be adding them on that too when I need them. Tires have come a long way in the last few years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I do not think there is a separate transmission fluid reservoir. I am still reading the owner's manual for my DCT, but it appears that every other engine oil change will include changing a filter element for the dual clutch, near the left crank case cover. There is no listing for any transmission fluid, just the engine oil. Basically your standard wet clutch with and electronic control instead of a toe peg!

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
yes, trans filter is replace at 600 miles then engine at 8 and trans and engine at 16 then engine at 24 and both at 32 so after the 600 mile service it is every other one. Honda most likely put a finer filter there to keep stuff out of the trans. Surprising is that oil capacity is the same 3.6 qt.

Honda filters can be had on ebay and internet so stock up. Many sites have 2014 bike parts listing diagrams now (which I posted one earlier). so you can see costs and partnumbers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts