CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Honda Accessories let you tailor-make your bike to the kind of riding you want to do. Best of all, they all look great, work great and fit great—just like your new Honda. Here's a sample of the accessories that will be available for your CTX700.

Rear Carrier

Heated Grip

Color Match Saddlebag Panel

Tall Windscreen (cowl version only)

Saddlebags

Passenger Backrest

Additional Accessories
Backrest Bracket
Accessory Socket
Heated Grip Attachment

·
Banned
463 Posts
If these are already available where are the prices listed?
Haven't been able to find any info on the Honda sites.

·
Banned
463 Posts
If these are already available where are the prices listed?
Haven't been able to find any info on the Honda sites.
Disregard the last transmission.
I guess I didn't look in the correct place.
I FOUND IT!

·
Registered
309 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
So if I'm interested in a top box of any manufacturer, I probably need at the minimum to buy the rear carrier and the back rest bracket from Honda right?

Jack

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Yes. Fairing models require the back rest bracket and rear carrier. The "N" model also requires the inner support bracket as well. Shop around to various Honda parts stores and dealerships on line because prices do vary.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I wasn't willing to spend that much for luggage, so I bought a matching color top box from Amazon (Bestem 2012) with mount, brake light, and back pad. Strapped it to the pillion seat via lashing straps. My straps are blue, but I can order some black ones on line that would look better. Amazon had a scratched, matching red, model 2012 for $65 and free shipping. Regular price is $89. Total cost for me was about $72, and I've got 42 liters of storage and a back rest for myself that meets my personal standards. I don't swing my leg over from the rear, because I'm too short, and I don't ever go 2-up, so this works for me. I did take the box and mount off one time to give a family member a ride. It took me about 10 minutes to uninstall and reinstall.

The latch on the cheap box is very cumbersome to lock on this knock-off brand. It's designed to be like a Givi Monolock system, but it takes a lot of fiddling with it to lock, especially if the box is full, so I just leave it unlatched most of the time. Appearance wise, it looks like it goes with the bike, but it is pretty cheaply made mechanically speaking. However, I use mine several times per week and nothing has broken so far.

If you want a better box or soft top from Givi or Shad, the included mount can be strapped to the seat fairly securely via lashing straps, because my mount is pretty much the same as a Givi mount. I've got mine strapped in two spots on the mount. I used the document hooks under the seat to help keep the front strap in place, and the bumper pads near the rear of the mount to hold the rear strap in place. There is some give due to the cushiness of the seat, but it ain't going anywhere.

Another option is side boxes or bags from the after market. In this scenario, there is a thread on here somewhere where Bill shows one how to build and install homemade saddle stays that look perfectly okay to me, and he put some soft saddle bags on that he bought pretty cheaply. I think it cost him around $100.

But if you want a top box in the typical location, I've not seen a single picture of a box that sits on anything other than the OEM accessories. I would have thought something would have come along by now in the aftermarket, but I don't know of anything.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
I'm using Bestem boxes and don't find this to be true at all. I've had previous experience with them and they hold up fine at about a 3rd of the cost of Givi and I wont even speak to the Shad. The 929 would be the way to go for a top box if your considering going that route. 46ltr and holds 2 full face helmets. I have the foam lining that fits this box to protect my gear.

·
Registered
10 Posts
jfc, hopefully you or someone else knows the answer, but can you still open the Honda sidesaddle bags with the Bestem 929 mounted, or what? And is it a simple bolt on job or have the be strapped or what? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
jfc, hopefully you or someone else knows the answer, but can you still open the Honda sidesaddle bags with the Bestem 929 mounted, or what? And is it a simple bolt on job or have the be strapped or what? Thanks.
The Honda OEM saddle bags open outward so none of the boxes sold on the market would interfere with them. Any rear box needs the Honda backrest brackets and carrier. Also the N model needs the inner support and spacers as well to mount anything on the rear.

Bestem boxes come with a mounting plate that bolts directly to the Honda carrier. You will need to trim the Bestem bolt brackets about 1/2" on each side with a hacksaw or power tool. This is easily done. The original bolts are very long so trimming these or replacing them with a shorter bolt for a cleaner look is also advised. There are several threads addressing this. Just search for Bestem Boxes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Has anyone bought the Honda backrest? If so is it comfortable? It looks quite low.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Has anyone bought the Honda backrest? If so is it comfortable? It looks quite low.
The rack with backrest, while well made and high quality, is not very tall and the padding is not very thick.

It looks great, works well for small to medium people that ride for short distances, just do not plan to lean back in comfort. More of a short ride safety backrest and less of a touring day long riding backrest.

Also it seems the only game in town for a back rest, unless you go the top box with pad direction.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I got the backrest for my wife. She's feels much more secure on the bike.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I also have good reviews of the backrest from my girlfriend...

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
For the short time I had the backrest on my bike my riding partner really liked itl. It was comfortable and the shortness actually made getting on the bike much easier.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the backrest. My friend, who is about 5'6" said it was too low and hurt her back, especially if I accelerated quickly from a stop.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts