CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What other bikes out there have the same or similar ride height as the CTX700? since we have no access to the bike at the moment I would like to find out which other bikes share the same ride height so i can get an idea of how the ride height will be on the CTX700.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
The new 2013 Honda CTX700 is actually based on the NC700 platform but the tubing frame is slight altered to lowered the seating position which is slightly lower at 28.3 inche. Compared to the Honda NC700 that is at 32.7 inch seat height. The reason why honda decided to make the seating position lower for the NC700 was to mke the CTX700 more easier to mount and maneuver. Not only that but it also help keep the bike weight and mass centralized for better balance. Seating position is also improved. I can just imagine now how comfy this bike will be for riding :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I actually got a chance to sit on it at he spring bik show. I am 5' 7" and able to flat foot the CTX700. One thing I noticed is how narrow the center line was making it more ergonomically comfortable and it sits very low. The riding position feels natural and will be inviting and confidence-inspiring even for small or uncertain riders.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I actually got a chance to sit on it at he spring bik show. I am 5' 7" and able to flat foot the CTX700. One thing I noticed is how narrow the center line was making it more ergonomically comfortable and it sits very low. The riding position feels natural and will be inviting and confidence-inspiring even for small or uncertain riders.
That's good to know, since I'm also that height. But from looking at the pictures it doesn't look to be too high off the ground, so I wasn't too worried.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was very close to ordering a NC700. I am 5'9" with a 31" inseam. I could not flat foot the NC. The dealer said he could order a link that would lower the seat height about 1 inch. That still would have been a reach. Fortunately they announced the ctx about 2 weeks before I was ready to order. I'm glad I waited. Not only is the seat height much better, but the feet forward riding position is much more to my liking.

The dealer is telling me to expect delivery in July/August timeframe. I think it's worth the wait.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ah..Daboo! My Burgman friend. Yes...I'm going to make the switch this year. I hope you are not too disappointed in me!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Nah. I think it is a smart choice...much better in the long run than the "Lardy".

I like the Burgman 400...a lot. However, if the ride on the CTX700 would absorb the potholes, expansion joints, etc. that are common on Seattle's roads, I can see myself buying one of these very easily. With our budget problems here, I don't see anything good for Seattle's roads in the future.

I like the MPG...which unlike almost every other motorcycle, is up there with our Burgman 400s. Obviously, I'm drawn to the handling and ride. Negatives are the storage, and tire costs. And I have another thread asking for answers to how I'll keep my feet warm and dry.

My plans are long term though. I'm going on a mission trip to Tanzania next September. If I live, then this might be a nice way to celebrate. :) (And I don't want to saddle my wife with two bikes in the garage to get rid of, if I don't.) So I'll wait till I return and try to find a hungry dealer in the middle of winter when sales are slow.

Chris

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes, I agree. I could have chosen a better time to buy this bike. Buying the first of anything can be risky. Call it a mid-life gift to myself. This seems to be the exact bike I've been looking for to replace my Burgy. It will allow me to more comfortably take some longer trips I"m not getting any kind of "buy" on this bike, that's for sure.

I will miss the HUGE seat storage in the Burgy, but I'll adjust. I've ordered the bags. I'll just need to figure out the helmet storage.

I wish you luck on your mission. I'm sure you'll come back in one piece. When you do I hope you become as helpful a resource on the CTX 700 as you are on the Burgman!

·
Registered
124 Posts
In case you miss it, there are options to set your weight, height, inseam, where you sit on the seat and if your feet are up, or down. I think there's even one to take into account a passenger.

Chris

·
Registered
49 Posts
This site graphically compares bikes with a rider. You place your height and in-seam in the input boxes. You can view yourself sitting or with legs down on any bike you want!

http://cycle-ergo.com/

What an awesome app! Good find indeed this will help for people who really want to know the angle and give them an idea. Entering in your own stats is a nice touch to suit every one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
according to that site I wont be able to fit on the bike :(

Aparently I wont be able to reach the pegs. (28" seam)

Even if I got boots my legs would be almost strait on the pegs...

Guess I will find out when I go look.

·
Registered
21 Posts
according to that site I wont be able to fit on the bike :(

Aparently I wont be able to reach the pegs. (28" seam)

Even if I got boots my legs would be almost strait on the pegs...

Guess I will find out when I go look.
It's a good site to give you an idea of the angle for the specific height and weight but for comfort wise you should physically sit on one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
What kind of cruel maniac would design a bike with a seat height of 28" and have the pegs so far forward that you need to be a tall rider to reach?

I am basing this solely on the cycle-ergo app so I hope that it's somehow not accurate.

·
Registered
124 Posts
After test riding the NC700X, I decided to buy the NT700V instead. Even with a short 28 inch inseam, I can reach the ground. I too would have a problem with the reach to the pedals on the CTX.

Chris

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am a 28" inseam and I could barely touch the ground with my big toe on the NC. The CTX was going to be my salvation until I read about the peg distance.

I'll probably have to go with my original plan of lowering an NC. There are a lot of stop signs where I live as it is mostly country roads. I always come to a boots on the ground stop so this is not a small issue.

Here is Honda's ad copy: "Low Seat Height. With a seat height of just 28.3 inches, the new CTX700N is confidence-inspiring and comfortable. Combine that with the forward-set controls, and it's easy to flat-foot it at stoplights or in parking lots."

Not too "confidence-inspiring" when you can't reach the brake. Maybe If I drag my feet like Fred Flintstone I can bring it to a stop.

I'm a little disappointed.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I agree on the disappointment part. :(

I read this on another part of the forum and it started a wild and crazy week.
Have you considered some of the maintainance issues that you might encounter since you are a high milage rider? I chose the NT700 for its shaft drive and V-twin that has been tested for years. The Europeans have been riding this bike for about a decade and love the thing, just never really caught here in the US.

I guy is selling one in the Bothell area that is VERY well farkled. I met him once and I'm sure the bike was well loved.
http://www.nt-owners.org/forums/showthread.php?6391-2010-Honda-NT700-6600-(Bothell-WA)
I was looking for some answer to how to keep the lower part of the leg and foot from getting cold and wet. The reply got me to checking out the NT700V, which I'd previously disregarded because of cost. They were running almost $12,000. This used one was far more in my ball park. I think it is a very valid alternative to the CTX700 or NC700X. Both of those bikes need some costly modifications (especially the NC700X) before they move from being a costly toy to being something useful.

When you look at the NT700V, you get a bike that has a full fairing and has both a factory and aftermarket lower fairing to solve that issue I was looking into. In addition, it has built-in luggage, a comfortable seat, ...marvel of wonders...it even has a rear mudflap! :rolleyes: And the wind management is probably going to be better than the CTX700.

The reason I bring up the last part about wind management is that I discovered something in doing my research on the NT700V. First off, it is generally agreed the NT700V is great for isolating you from turbulence with its 5 position adjustable windshield. A competitor the bike is compared with often, is the WeeStrom. The WeeStrom (from what I read, not what I've personally experienced) has a problem with this. Most of it is caused by the distance of the rider from the windscreen...which is probably similar to the CTX700 with the cruiser style seating.

The disappointment might be good in the end to get you to look at other alternatives like I did. I found an excellent bike in the NT700V.

Chris

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am a 28" inseam and I could barely touch the ground with my big toe on the NC. The CTX was going to be my salvation until I read about the peg distance.

Not too "confidence-inspiring" when you can't reach the brake. Maybe If I drag my feet like Fred Flintstone I can bring it to a stop.

I'm a little disappointed.
hang on a minute, have you sat on one?
you need to test sit and then preferably test ride it before deciding your feet don't reach the pedals.

do we have anyone here who has sat on the bike?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts