CTX 700 Forum banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Indeed, in 2014 I rode the SCMA "Four Corners Tour" (21 days). For me it was 11,000+ miles. To be certain, the true distance is only about 7,000 mi from Point A to Point D. If you add in the distance from/to your home, the distance gets a bit longer. My extra mileage was because I went to NOLA for a MC rally prior to my start in San Ysidro, CA.

I have been toying with the idea of doing a "True X Four Corners Tour". The standard set by SCMA is 28 days and three passes (~11,000 mi) thru Lebanon, KS. I'm thinking I want to take my time and actually stop and be a tourist at some of the major National Parks. I estimate total mileage to be 13,000+ miles.

Just the "True X" ride requires 470+ m/day avg for 28 days. The regular "Four Corners Tour" is only 350 m/day avg. That is 10+ vs 8 hours/day. The true X would require mostly interstate and even then it would require flawless performance of your ride.

At the pace I would want to ride I would take ~45 days.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Long distance rides

Indeed, in 2014 I rode the SCMA "Four Corners Tour" (21 days). For me it was 11,000+ miles. To be certain, the true distance is only about 7,000 mi from Point A to Point D. If you add in the distance from/to your home, the distance gets a bit longer. My extra mileage was because I went to NOLA for a MC rally prior to my start in San Ysidro, CA.

I have been toying with the idea of doing a "True X Four Corners Tour". The standard set by SCMA is 28 days and three passes (~11,000 mi) thru Lebanon, KS. I'm thinking I want to take my time and actually stop and be a tourist at some of the major National Parks. I estimate total mileage to be 13,000+ miles.

Just the "True X" ride requires 470+ m/day avg for 28 days. The regular "Four Corners Tour" is only 350 m/day avg. That is 10+ vs 8 hours/day. The true X would require mostly interstate and even then it would require flawless performance of your ride.

I doubt I will attempt the SCMA goal. I might do the "Four Corners Tour" and or the "True X Four Corners Tour," but, I will want to stop and smell the roses along the way. I doubt I have what it takes to "grind out 28 days at 470 miles per day." That is a stamina test for which I think might not work for me. I've done 500, 600, 700 mile days, but, about three of those is enough to warrant a stop. If I take an additional two, three weeks to complete the trip, that is okay. I am retired and live alone. :)

Got the twin Hella Supertone horns installed today. Will install Smart Turn Signal tomorrow if I don't go flying with my son.

I'll have to ride northeast one day. Maybe we could meet for lunch.

Enjoy your labor day!

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
I have some time this week but am out of pocket from the 10th to the 22nd with various riding committments. Let me know whatever your schedule might allow and I'll meet you most anywhere betwixt or between.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
I have some time this week but am out of pocket from the 10th to the 22nd with various riding committments. Let me know whatever your schedule might allow and I'll meet you most anywhere betwixt or between.
I cannot do it this week. I will put a tickler on my calendar to check back with you the week of September 25.

Ride safely!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Speedo error had NOTHING to do with MC Cruise Control..

In case it wasn't obvious from my previous post the speedo error had absolutely nothing to do with the MC Cruise Control. The MC Cruise speedo healer won't work DCT models (not out of the box, will need some wiring changes - stay tuned). I suspect that no speedo healer products will work with the DCT as is. Tthe MC Cruise fellas have a solution but it won't be tested until next year. The cruise control works brilliantly & now with the correct cog on the back the speedo is back to being about 6 % out.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Speedo error

In case it wasn't obvious from my previous post the speedo error had absolutely nothing to do with the MC Cruise Control. The MC Cruise speedo healer won't work DCT models (not out of the box, will need some wiring changes - stay tuned). I suspect that no speedo healer products will work with the DCT as is. Tthe MC Cruise fellas have a solution but it won't be tested until next year. The cruise control works brilliantly & now with the correct cog on the back the speedo is back to being about 6 % out.
Great news about the MC Cruise working as advertised AND great news that MC Cruise was NOT the cause of the speedo error!

I concur that MC Cruise works "brilliantly" and flawlessly on my CTX. Cannot wait to get it on the road for a long distance ride!

If you and MC Cruise ever determine the reason for the speedo error (with the correct cog), I am certainly curious to know. My CTX has from day one had less than 1% error as evidenced by GPS.

Ride Safely!

·
Registered
2,857 Posts

After logging as many miles as I have on the CTX, I would never attempt anything close to that on this bike. It would have be a different bike, I would likely give up after 1500 miles if it were the CTX.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Long Distance Riding on CTX

After logging as many miles as I have on the CTX, I would never attempt anything close to that on this bike. It would have be a different bike, I would likely give up after 1500 miles if it were the CTX.
In 17,000 miles this past 12 months, I've made several trips exceeding 3,000 miles and that was before I upgraded the front and rear suspension. I believe that with the following "COMFORT" modifications, the CTX will be a really long distance nice ride:

1. Front suspension replaced with Race Tech Gold valves and springs

2. Rear shock replaced with Ohlins STX46 with hydraulic pre-load adjuster. This is the same shock that replaces the NC700 OEM. While the shock for the NC700 is longer than the CTX OEM and it raises the seat height about 1.25", the shock works and rides beautifully. The difference in the ride after suspension upgrade is phenomenal! The hydraulic pre-load adjuster is really nice in that in just a few minutes I can adjust for changes in load without removing anything from the bike simply by using a 1/4" ratchet wrench with 12" extension and a socket.

3. A Seth Laam seat

4. MC Cruise control

5. Cee Bailey windscreen with Laminar Lip

6. Bob Witte's alternate foot pegs

With prior commitments, looks like it will be October before I can be "On the road again!"

Ride safely!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
MC Cruise - Motorcycle Cruise Control

What exactly is this cruise control? Where can I get one? It sounds great except for speedo problem. Hope you get that fixed.
ddansb posted a link to MC Cruise. The pics in the brochure are of my bike. I live in Melbourne Australia & the guys from MC Cruise offered to fit the unit for free (labour costs) if they could keep my bike for a week or so while they documented the installation. The cost, even without fitting is a significant outlay to me however I've now ridden in the order of 10,000km with it and I cannot imagine riding past the corner shop without it. The MC Cruise on my Burgman took me over 100,000km before it died (the Burgman, not the cruise control). I love it. With the more constant speeds, your average goes up, no speeding fines, less issues with other vehicles, better fuel consumption - it really unleashes the cruise potential of the CTX. Did I mention I love it?

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
I just received McCruise via DHL for my 2014 CTX700D. I ordered it with the right side cover installation and the "M/C" cover.

This is my fourth purchase from them.

I'd been looking at it for the CTX for a long time, and even purch a parts set from them based on an early, well-illustrated installation here. Just couldn't bring myself to tear the bike apart and do all the trial and error required. While the parts may cost $100 - the fifty pages of scrupulously and exquisitely detailed installation manual is worth every additional penny.

Last year Thanksgiving my wife and I road the Amtrak Auto Train to Florida with the bike, then took our time down the peninsula, spending several days in Key West, and back.

Two weeks ago, we took a tour of West Virginia with a Triumph Rocket group. The CTX did better than I did on both trips - my right hand frequently reminding me, I really wish McCruise had that kit.

Check back, and sure enough, they have it, and I just went through the manual for the third time.

I'm so excited.

I had McCruise installed on my Honda ST1300, and now have it installed on my Triumph Rocket Touring.

It's the cat's meow, the bees knees . . . you get the picture.

·
Registered
2018 Honda CTX700 DCT, 2015 Zero SR [sold :’-( ]
48 Posts
I use cruise control in my car all the time - would love it for my bike. But that price is a hurdle for me. I have to make do with a wrist rest/crampbuster and occasional use of a throttle lock. I’m not a fan of throttle locks, since any variation of uphill/downhill will change your actual speed. But it’s nice to have available at least. Next time I have a spare $1000, though...

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
I use cruise control in my car all the time - would love it for my bike. But that price is a hurdle for me. I have to make do with a wrist rest/crampbuster and occasional use of a throttle lock. I’m not a fan of throttle locks, since any variation of uphill/downhill will change your actual speed. But it’s nice to have available at least. Next time I have a spare $1000, though...
I purchased and DIY installed the MC Cruise on my CTX700. I loved the CC on the 700 so much I repeated it for my CTX1300. I am not an engineer, electronics mechanical or otherwise, and was able to accomplish the installs myself. As for CC, and future purchases of bikes will likely include and be predicated on whether or not CC is available. I cannot see having a touring bike without CC.

Cheers!

61 - 72 of 72 Posts