CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just returned from a 380km round trip on my MC-Cruise control equipped CTX700. The good news is that works brilliantly. Unlike the unit fitted to the Burgman, this one's plugged into the bike's electronics (no magnets attached to the front rotor) and the servo is electric (no vacuum pod) so it's compact neat and it works without lag - fantastic. On the down side, the speedometer error has changed dramatically. When I got the bike I checked the speedo against a GPS speed app. 60km/h came up at an indicated 64. 80km/h came up at an indicated 85 and 100km/h came up at an indicated 106km/h. Now 60km/h doesn't come up until an indicated 70km/h. 80 corresponds to an indicated 93 and 100 km/h now corresponds to an indicated 118km/h. The change is significant and annoying. I checked it on the way back because on the way up, I traveled at an indicated 115km/h (guessing it was about 105 in real terms) and an unusually high percentage of cars came wizzing by. My progress is tracked by a location app which checks my speed at regular intervals. I thought I was traveling at about 105 km/h but the online log says I didn't exceed 100km/h the whole way. To reach 110km/h I had to travel at an indicated 129km/h. I have no idea how fitting a cruise control could affect the speedo. I thought they used the ABS sensor. Anyway I'm waiting on the guys getting back to me. I hope it can be reversed. I don't want to lose the cruise control - it's amazing but the alternative is sticky taping a conversion table to the fuel tank. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Please keep us posted on this. When I use to ride my 2004 Goldwing the bikes speedometer was 55 mph but my GPS showed a speed of 51 mph. My CTX700's speedometer matches the same GPS almost exactly.

Larry

Reactions: fjones

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
That's odd that after the cc, the indicated vs actual speed is that far off. The speedometer is the same, hooked up the same I assume with no input from the cruise, or maybe that's the issue, it's inserted itself in that chain.

Most bikes I've had read 10% high from actual. The C is dead on.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
GPS accuracy is dependant on reception, mine may vary by as much as 15 meters. My GPS Speeds tend to be within 2-3 mph of the actual reported speed, that's good enough. My CTX appears to be within 1-2mph of actual speed depending on what radar you believe (i've seen those public school zone radars as far off as 5mph).

Reactions: fjones

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm a little shocked. From what I had read about MCCruise, it shouldn't affect how the bike reflects the speed, it should just read the data. Has anything else changed that could affect accuracy of the speedo? (tires not standard size? sprockets changed (not sure how CTX determines speed honestly)? Some sensor not re-connected properly or moved in some way?)

·
Registered
141 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
vysmaster,

How well does the MCcruise hold the set speed on hills and downgrades? Is it smooth or does it lag?

·
Registered
997 Posts
at 800 bucks at pop ... kinda steep
Not if you're use to one. My last bikes all had STD and long steady speed cruising it was heavenly. Gives your hand and wrist a huge break, not to mention back and neck. You just kind of sit back and relax. Still miss it, throttle locks aren't the same. May be worth it to me just in the savings of anti inflammatories and pain killers.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm currently foaming at the bit. I should start by saying that Tony and Frank installed the cruise control on my Burgman while I was there. They worked neatly, efficiently and threw in a few extras (built me a helmet hook for under the top box) at no charge. The whole experience was positive and the unit ran flawlessly for over 100,000km.
This time I asked them to relcoate the fuse for the aux plug in the glove box to under the seat which they did. They also wired in an additional plug so I could plug in a relay to drive an alternative aux fuse box which is lovely except that I didn't ask for that, I don't need it and they charged me an extra hours work to do it which Tony complained was 'undervalued' but that's not why I'm angry. I'm angry because the solution to the speedo error is for me to purchase a 'speedo healer' from them.

No my rear tire is not flat. No I did not change rear tires recently (ever). Yes I tested it over a prolonged period (over an hour). The difference is so dramatic I noticed the minute I picked up the bike. While following my friend home from having the MC-Cruise fitted I remember thinking she was driving unnecessarily quickly - upon reflection she wasn't. Now apparently I've got to follow their instructions to disconnect the cruise control to prove it isn't caused by their computer but even if I do that doesn't exclude the possibility that they've damaged/affected the Honda computers. All I know is that it happened in their care and what I'm REALLY angry about is their response. I will eventually calm down and reassess the situation - stay tuned.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
vysmaster,

How well does the MCcruise hold the set speed on hills and downgrades? Is it smooth or does it lag?
It holds speed very accurately (+/- one or two km/h even on hills) and very smoothly. Because the actuator is electronic (not the vacuum pod type) there's no lag. The cutoff when you touch the breaks is more sudden - but hardly a problem, in fact I'd say it's a good thing, just not used to it. I have thick soft grips (which I don't like, but came with the bike). They reduce the feel you have of the throttle but with the cruise operating, it also allows for tiny movements under your hand so the throttle moving under your hand is barely noticeable. I plan on removing the grips and replacing them with heated grips.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
at 800 bucks at pop ... kinda steep
Yes it is. I was in the process of modifying a car cruise control kit to fit the Burgman but ended up going for th MC Cruise product because it took five hours to remove the body work before I could even SEE the engine's throttle body, so even if I could fashion up a connector, it would have been impossible to keep an eye on it. I went with them for the CTX because the MC Cruise experience with the Burgman was so good. I'm less of a fan at the moment - but I'm angry so will refrain from further comment for now.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts