CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I did it. I finally drilled the hole. I have had the sub harness and outlet since I bought the bike in September. It is the honda bike specific one. I was just afraid to drill the hole in the little cubby. A bit pricey but a piece of cake to install. Plus the sub harness sets you up with 4 more plugs to install some lights and such. Removing all the cowlings (fairing model) was a bear! But once off, the install was easy peasy. The cowlings went back on a lot quicker than removal. Nothing I have ever done before so, I was quite pleased with my gumption to give it a whirl. ;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
You're just like me. I have all the parts to do it but haven't found the time to actually do the install (and cut the bike).

Reactions: Kirstenparks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Walk-thru 12v Accessory (non-OEM) CTX700N

If you interested in the Honda OEM part, here is a couple useful links:
2014 CTX700N Accessories - Honda Genuine Accessories - Honda Powersports
http://powersports.honda.com/Products/accessories.aspx?filename=08V70-MJF-A00.pdf

This is a walk-thru of my installation of a 12v socket accessory on my CTX700N. It was basically the same as what’s in the service manual, but I added some notes that I encountered along the way. Refer to the diagram images for numbers in brackets [].

Since the socket location in on the left side (when facing the bike) it is not necessary to remove the right side panels.

Remove the Left (when facing the bike) Radiator Side Cover (see diagram below for reference):
1. remove the socket bolts [1] first (metal bolts with allen heads)
2. give the top a tug to release from the grommets [2]
3. once released from the top, slide the cover to the rear of the bike to slide it off the bottom slot [4]

TIP: I found it easier to put the bike on a rear wheel stand for stability and ease of moving the front wheel to gain access to the socket bolts located to the side of front fork.

Remove the Left (when facing the bike) Side Shelter (see diagram below for reference):
NOTE: radiator side cover must be removed before side shelter can be removed.
1. remove the seat
2. remove the two large trim clips [1] located in the curve by the fork (loosen with a phillips and pull out)
3. remove one small trim clip [2] where the side, seat, and rear meet
4. remove the socket bolts [3] (metal allen head bolts) in the same location as #3; (NOTE: these bolts are shorter than the ones removed for the radiator cover)

TIP: after removing the bottom bolt in #4, I had to give the rear panel a tug to release it from two grommets which allowed me the necessary room to release the side shelter along the bottom.

5. give the bottom a tug to release it from the three grommets [4] along the bottom of panel;

NOTE: the “side shelter” actually consists of two parts - the upper, glossy red or black, and the lower, flat black

6. with the bottom free to move, remove the side shelter from the Center Shelter by gently, but with some muscle, working the “snap fit clips” that join the center and sides

NOTE: it feels like things are going to break before they pull apart; personally, I started with the ends and pulled and twisted to get the middle free

I used the Honda accessory installation instructions for reference on drilling location:
http://powersports.honda.com/Products/accessories.aspx?filename=08V70-MJF-A00.pdf

7. drill an access hole for the accessory you’re installing; the Honda accessories were a bit pricy for me, so I went with these on Amazon for around $20 total.
Battery Tender 081-0069-8 Female Cigarette Adaptor for Quick Disconnect : Amazon.com : Automotive
Amazon.com: Battery Tender 081-0069-6 Ring Terminal Harness with Black Fused 2-Pin Quick Disconnect Plug: Automotive

8. I used the recommended wire tie locations from Honda for running things back to the battery
9. connected the battery tender quick disconnect and tested with my phone before putting everything back together in reverse order.

Worked like a champ. Ride on!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Apologies if posted before but for under 20 bucks (us) I think I'll have me one.
I have one mounted and really like it. It actually works pretty well. I mounted mine next to the left handlebar holder clamp upside down. Works perfectly here and is out of the way.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Apologies if posted before but for under 20 bucks (us) I think I'll have me one.
This is the one I used but it took a few weeks to get it. I just ran it direct to the battery and and just unplug the GPS while parked.

·
Registered
585 Posts
just make sure

Just make sure the cig/accessory outlet has large enough gauge wire to carry the load (amperage) you are utilizing. GPS should be fine, but
if plugging in a portable air pump you'll have a 2-10 amp current draw.

Reactions: Bazil

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Mine is rated 5v-1amp for the USB outlet and 12v-10amps for the cig. outlet. My air pump draws 2.4 amps so should be able to handle it just fine. These are sold under various brand names and manufacturers. Mine came with a 1year warranty so went that route. I've used both outlets multiple times and so far have been pleased with it. Used the air pump twice and it did just fine.

·
Registered
125 Posts
well i gotta question...i adapted an electric jacket (that came with rechargable 12volt lihtium ion batteries), so i could direct tap off my battery tender tap....not sure what the amp rating of the jacket is but do you think i will have a problem with it drawing too much on the highway at 70mph....i will be using it at nite heading towards detroit on I-75 starting near cincinnati...don't want to drain this sucker while i am rolling...seems fine when i just connected and tried it but did not do an amp draw test....any input would be greatly appreciated...safe riding...pat

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Bought one of these today at Cycle Gear. I'm going to store mine in the tire kit bag until I need to use it for my air pump.

It hooks up to your battery tender adapter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts