CTX 700 Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
I just hit the 1000 mile mark on my 2017. I ride mostly in manual. I wish there was one more auto mode that would split the difference between D and S. I find gears 1-4 to be fine in D with 5-6 to early. 6 especially like everyone else. I think 42 would be better, but I understand it is all about the economy.

In S I find it too aggressive to use normally unless I am wanting to ride it harder. I would like another mode that split the 2 in the middle. That is almost where I ride in manual.

Or another option is the third mode would learn the way you ride in manual mode and apply it to the third mode.
That way the bike could keep D for what it is: fuel economy. S for the high rpm shifting and heavier engine braking mode and O ? for owners mode. That would learn your manual mode inputs and adapt those to your auto owners mode. After awhile then you could put it in owners mode and it would be like you use it manual.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
I believe this is in the NC. Wish it was in ours. Of course it will come on the 2018 as I bought a 17. (Sarcasm) :eek:

That may be one of the changes Honda makes on the 2018's.
Hard to say. I've seen some technical videos purported to be 2018 CTX's without the 3rd gen. Not sure there will even be a 2018 at this point until Honda releases their touring and cruising lineup in November. Supposed to be major changes to the line up coming.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Great review and comments. I too have had 19 different bikes in 20 years. At 73 that is ridiculous but I think I will keep this 2014 ctx700 dct (faired) for awhile.
Do you drive near Alton Bay ( North trask road) by any chance? I have a friend that lives there.

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
old thread revived...interesting posts by the late, great:love: jfc77320 (#22 &24).
Me...I use sport mode because most of my riding is in town & local mountains/highways...I like where it shifts but I do shift into 6th manually... on straights, when it wants hold 5th gear for awhile @ around 60mph. Perhaps it is possible that my transmission has adapted a bit to my riding style.;)

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
479 Posts
Solly, I wouldn't challenge anything in your review. I will say that depending on how you ride, the facts you point out can all be good or bad for the rider.

About the one thing that I agree bothers me is the 38mph 6th gear: Although on a straightaway it's usually no big deal, hit a hill and it either chugs to keep up or jumps into 5th, back to 6th, back and forth and back and forth... eesh.

But for commuting and relaxing day trips, everything else about the bike is aces.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
old thread revived...interesting posts by the late, great:love: jfc77320 (#22 &24).
Me...I use sport mode because most of my riding is in town & local mountains/highways...I like where it shifts but I do shift into 6th manually... on straights, when it wants hold 5th gear for awhile @ around 60mph. Perhaps it is possible that my transmission has adapted a bit to my riding style.;)
My understanding that there is an ai that does adapt to the style of riding. Can't remember where I read it.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts