CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to me 2014 CTX, manual.

Rolled 1000 miles on it now.

Replaced seat with a Corbin at about 900, definitely worth the expense, even though Corbin says it takes 1000+ miles to "break in", it already made a huge difference on a 100-mile ride I took this weekend. Looking forward to breaking it in over the next 1000. I ordered the back rest too, though I haven't used that yet, saving that for the 2+ hour long trips.

My over-all impression Wow, this is a great bike for the money I spent. It was a welcome upgrade from my 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan 750, which was giving me reliability issues. Once I got the floorboards adjusted to not be parallel to the ground and made slight adjustment to shift height, I've grown to like the floorboards. I'm usually a left foot down at lights, and hold break with foot, this has never been an issue, but I've actually had too "think" about it a little sometimes, especially on steeper inclines, as with my right foot so far forward, my balance wasn't 100%, but I think I finally have got that down now, better go for a ride and make sure!

I'm averaging 62 mpg if I keep it under 65 mph, anything on the highway running 70-75 and it drops to about 52 mpg; both still impressive, coming from my Vulcan where 30-35mpg was the average.

I was looking at a Honda rebel 1100, but at 12K by the time you're done, I was another year away from saving up for it, and this bike was only 6K, so this will get me by for the next few years and then I'll look at the Rebel again.

The only thing missing for those long stretches of highway is cruise control, the throttle lock is inconsistent speed control, more of a way to rest your wrist. Not sure if the aftermarket one from Australia is worth the expense, and even if it is, not sure I have the technical background to make it work right.

Plastic fairings are a bear too remove (had to re-do wiring on the aftermarket gear indicator and added a two USB port switch), I bet that alone is why Honda stopped making this bike, hope they fired the engineer that put the air box under all of that!

The stock suspension is ok, but I can see the shock upgrade as something to consider, I don't notice it as much in the front (I'm 5'9, 175lbs). Not sure I will tackle this one alone, but local shop will be able too, I'm sure.

Will be doing some 4–6-hour trips this fall and then work my way up to some longer trips.

Stay safe, and great Bike, thanks to all who have contributed to this forum as it made learning my way around the bike easy.

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
695 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

As another aficionado of all-day trips, I'd recommend grip puppies and a wrist rest instead of the throttle lock. Both take the pressure off your hands on long trips.

·
Registered
32 Posts
New to me 2014 CTX, manual.

Rolled 1000 miles on it now.

Replaced seat with a Corbin at about 900, definitely worth the expense, even though Corbin says it takes 1000+ miles to "break in", it already made a huge difference on a 100-mile ride I took this weekend. Looking forward to breaking it in over the next 1000. I ordered the back rest too, though I haven't used that yet, saving that for the 2+ hour long trips.

My over-all impression Wow, this is a great bike for the money I spent. It was a welcome upgrade from my 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan 750, which was giving me reliability issues. Once I got the floorboards adjusted to not be parallel to the ground and made slight adjustment to shift height, I've grown to like the floorboards. I'm usually a left foot down at lights, and hold break with foot, this has never been an issue, but I've actually had too "think" about it a little sometimes, especially on steeper inclines, as with my right foot so far forward, my balance wasn't 100%, but I think I finally have got that down now, better go for a ride and make sure!

I'm averaging 62 mpg if I keep it under 65 mph, anything on the highway running 70-75 and it drops to about 52 mpg; both still impressive, coming from my Vulcan where 30-35mpg was the average.

I was looking at a Honda rebel 1100, but at 12K by the time you're done, I was another year away from saving up for it, and this bike was only 6K, so this will get me by for the next few years and then I'll look at the Rebel again.

The only thing missing for those long stretches of highway is cruise control, the throttle lock is inconsistent speed control, more of a way to rest your wrist. Not sure if the aftermarket one from Australia is worth the expense, and even if it is, not sure I have the technical background to make it work right.

Plastic fairings are a bear too remove (had to re-do wiring on the aftermarket gear indicator and added a two USB port switch), I bet that alone is why Honda stopped making this bike, hope they fired the engineer that put the air box under all of that!

The stock suspension is ok, but I can see the shock upgrade as something to consider, I don't notice it as much in the front (I'm 5'9, 175lbs). Not sure I will tackle this one alone, but local shop will be able too, I'm sure.

Will be doing some 4–6-hour trips this fall and then work my way up to some longer trips.

Stay safe, and great Bike, thanks to all who have contributed to this forum as it made learning my way around the bike easy.
Hi, I have a 2016 ctx700 with kurackyn floorboards.
Also considering replacing my OEM seat with a Corbin you describe. Have had lower back tweaking occasionally.
Are you still happy with the Corbin ?
In in Hfx N.S. ... Where'd you get yours ?

Tks Al.

·
Premium Member
920 Posts
Hi, I have a 2016 ctx700 with kurackyn floorboards.
Also considering replacing my OEM seat with a Corbin you describe. Have had lower back tweaking occasionally.
Are you still happy with the Corbin ?
In in Hfx N.S. ... Where'd you get yours ?

Tks Al.
Just a footnote; 2015 & later stock seats are hard on one's tailbone/lower back, due to Honda's 2015 seat reconfigure moving the rider forward, (bad for 30" & longer inseams). Lots of discussion on subject here, over time. (worth investigating);)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts