• 1 Post By hondabum
  • 1 Post By BobWitte
  • 1 Post By War_Book
  • 1 Post By BobWitte

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Trike Kit And Bike Tire Air Pressure

I have been running 37 PSI in the front tire and rear tire is 35 PSI, And both the rear kit tires are 25 PSI. Today I noticed a little bit of handle bar wobble or should I say shake, But this eased up after letting off of the throttle a little. Road the bike over 100 miles today cold as **** and super windy, Bike did great except for the issue mentioned. This may be a question for Mr Bob to try and leave feed back on SIR if you get a chance. Should I also lower the PSI a little in the bikes rear tire to see if this will help it or leave it be?? Thank You
Ruby likes this.

Last edited by War_Book; 12-10-2019 at 01:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 08:43 AM

I would first check that the kit wheels are hitting the ground correctly.
If they don't ride equally on the ground you will get some shaking.
I don't see a need to go lower than 40 on the rear bike tire.
Ruby likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 12:57 PM

Garage
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by War_Book View Post
I have been running 37 PSI in the front tire and rear tire is 35 PSI, And both the rear kit tires are 25 PSI. Today I noticed a little bit of handle bar wobble or should I say shake, But this eased up after letting off of the throttle a little. Road the bike over 100 miles today cold as **** and super windy, Bike did great except for the issue mentioned. This may be a question for Mr Bob to try and leave feed back on SIR if you get a chance. Should I also lower the PSI a little in the bikes rear tire to see if this will help it or leave it be?? Thank You
Slightly lower pressure on the rear wheels of a true trike (3 wheels) makes some sense in that real trikes are using car tires built for a much heavier load. It improves traction and helps the suspension a little bit as well. On an outrigger setup like I think you are describing, things are quite different. My personal experience with the outrigger four tire setup is limited to one hair-raising ride for several miles. It wasn't as scary as the one ride I did on a solid axle (i.e., no differential installed). The latter was just around the block and I felt grateful to make it back alive!! Once I dis-mounted from that ride, I swore to myself, "Never again!!"

Okay, back to the four wheeled "trike" issue. Google is your friend here, research on the optimum setup for tires, sizes, pressure and leading vs. trailing positioning of the outriggers. One thing I do know is that a torsion suspension will be your best bet regardless so I hope that's what you have. That setup has the best chance of keeping the outrigger tires in contact with the ground. Outrigger contact must be maintained in order for it to work as desired. I don't know what your research will come up with regarding outrigger tire pressure, but I would be inclined to run the 35psi to match up with your bike tire.

Let's look at what is affectionately know as the "wobble of death" (WoD) by some trikers, with me included. This can happen even with two wheeled cycles, but most often occurs once the third (and most certainly, the fourth) wheel is added to the bike. You should not be dealing with it when you have a good grip on the handlebars, but only when you let go of both ends (which BTW, you shouldn't ever do anyway!).

Not wanting to bore the rest of the community with endless chatter about trikes, I invite you to click on the "Ride Trikes" link in my signature to download a free copy of "How To Ride A Motorcycle Trike" booklet I put together some years ago when I was running The Trinity Trike business. The information therein is still current and useful. Help yourself.
Ruby likes this.

Last edited by BobWitte; 12-10-2019 at 01:02 PM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobWitte View Post
Slightly lower pressure on the rear wheels of a true trike (3 wheels) makes some sense in that real trikes are using car tires built for a much heavier load. It improves traction and helps the suspension a little bit as well. On an outrigger setup like I think you are describing, things are quite different. My personal experience with the outrigger four tire setup is limited to one hair-raising ride for several miles. It wasn't as scary as the one ride I did on a solid axle (i.e., no differential installed). The latter was just around the block and I felt grateful to make it back alive!! Once I dis-mounted from that ride, I swore to myself, "Never again!!"

Okay, back to the four wheeled "trike" issue. Google is your friend here, research on the optimum setup for tires, sizes, pressure and leading vs. trailing positioning of the outriggers. One thing I do know is that a torsion suspension will be your best bet regardless so I hope that's what you have. That setup has the best chance of keeping the outrigger tires in contact with the ground. Outrigger contact must be maintained in order for it to work as desired. I don't know what your research will come up with regarding outrigger tire pressure, but I would be inclined to run the 35psi to match up with your bike tire.

Let's look at what is affectionately know as the "wobble of death" (WoD) by some trikers, with me included. This can happen even with two wheeled cycles, but most often occurs once the third (and most certainly, the fourth) wheel is added to the bike. You should not be dealing with it when you have a good grip on the handlebars, but only when you let go of both ends (which BTW, you shouldn't ever do anyway!).

Not wanting to bore the rest of the community with endless chatter about trikes, I invite you to click on the "Ride Trikes" link in my signature to download a free copy of "How To Ride A Motorcycle Trike" booklet I put together some years ago when I was running The Trinity Trike business. The information therein is still current and useful. Help yourself.

Yes it has a torsion suspension with flex tubing. I will just leave the front tire 37 PSI rear tire 35 PSI and the 2 outrigger tires at 25 PSI. Road the bike 100 miles including on very curvy roads felt pretty good to me, I was not scared of it at all myself. The information provided I have already read it. Motor Trike are the ones who told me to run 25 PSI in the 2 outrigger tires question I had was in regards to the bikes rear tire as well, Will just leave it at 35 PSI then. Thank You
Ruby likes this.

Last edited by War_Book; 12-10-2019 at 06:58 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 07:51 PM

Garage
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by War_Book View Post
Yes it has a torsion suspension with flex tubing. I will just leave the front tire 37 PSI rear tire 35 PSI and the 2 outrigger tires at 25 PSI. Road the bike 100 miles including on very curvy roads felt pretty good to me, I was not scared of it at all myself. The information provided I have already read it. Motor Trike are the ones who told me to run 25 PSI in the 2 outrigger tires question I had was in regards to the bikes rear tire as well, Will just leave it at 35 PSI then. Thank You
Hmmm, I wonder why would Motor Trike told you to run outrigger tires at 25psi? I just checked and I don't see any outrigger systems there now? I suppose they were thinking of a true trike. Anyhow, if your ride feels good and solid to you on the road, then it ain't broke, so don't "fix" it. BTW, is 25psi what your unit mfg suggests? If so, end of story.
Ruby likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CTX700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in