Has anybody gone "Dark Side" on CTX? - Page 3 - Honda CTX700 Forum
 64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #21 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Interestingly enough, the car tire provides more contact patch even while leaning, and MUCH larger contact patch when rolling straight forward... Very interesting...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick13 View Post
Interestingly enough, the car tire provides more contact patch even while leaning, and MUCH larger contact patch when rolling straight forward... Very interesting...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaaDIO-8XHg

You are correct when it comes to driving in a straight line, but incorrect about turning. With your photos, you have no factor of weight on the bike tire, so it appears that the contact patch is small in comparison. And on top of that, the goldwing does have weight on it. So the comparison is very incorrect. A leading false argument for the push of use of a car tire. Take a car tire without weight and compare it to a bike tire with no weight. Since a car tire is designed for a flat contact patch and with a firmer tread, you will clearly see the real comparison. That is if you do compare them fairly!
jfc77320 and Mdaniels4 like this.
post #23 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

The MC rim doesn't 'love' car tire ... In first photo is properly seated MC tire. In second photo the car tire cannot be properly mated to MC rim ... They have differently shaped bead flanges ... Thumb down!

jfc77320 and Mdaniels4 like this.

post #24 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 02:58 PM

There are a bunch of videos on youtube of Darksided bikes running the Tail of the Dragon. From everything I read, the only downside of darksiding was the much higher air pressure needed to seat the bead. And lots of lubricant. But most commented on the improved traction on gravel roads, and the large contact patch on wet roads. Getting 30,000 miles on a rear tire is common.
post #25 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogurt View Post
There are a bunch of videos on youtube of Darksided bikes running the Tail of the Dragon. From everything I read, the only downside of darksiding was the much higher air pressure needed to seat the bead. And lots of lubricant. But most commented on the improved traction on gravel roads, and the large contact patch on wet roads. Getting 30,000 miles on a rear tire is common.
I wish we had an option to buy MC rim shaped to mate a car tire, to mate the car tire bead flange in proper way. That would solve the main concern about going Darkside... Interesting business idea!
post #26 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
I wish we had an option to buy MC rim shaped to mate a car tire, to mate the car tire bead flange in proper way. That would solve the main concern about going Darkside... Interesting business idea!
But you'd still have an issue with the car tire patch on the sidewall not providing enough support for the lean of an MC. 99% of your ride probably would not be an issue. But having said do you really want to rely on that in that 1% panic mode situation. I don't. And I won't. Mcs are dangerous enough as it is out there. I want all I can to save my a** and my bike.

2015 ctx700 faired dct
my other toys:
UNFORTUNATELY UNABLE TO BE IDENTIFIED
post #27 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 08:59 PM

There is no other reason MC tires and rims are designed the way they are than because they are the best design for motorcycles. To think otherwise is silly.
jfc77320 likes this.
post #28 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 10:35 PM

MDaniels, look at the youtube videos of bikes riding through a wet spot, then leaving a track. The dark sided track is MUCH wider than the MC tire. What would uou want stopping you in a panic? 12 square inches of rubber, or 6 square inches?
nick13 likes this.
post #29 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdaniels4 View Post
But you'd still have an issue with the car tire patch on the sidewall not providing enough support for the lean of an MC. 99% of your ride probably would not be an issue. But having said do you really want to rely on that in that 1% panic mode situation. I don't. And I won't. Mcs are dangerous enough as it is out there. I want all I can to save my a** and my bike.
Actually if car tires are good 99% and 1% no good, MC tires are 70% are good and 30% no good. The worst case scenario for bikers is a 'oh sh!t' moment when you hit all brakes and pray you'll stop OK... With car tire the ABS will kick in much later, due to larger contact and superior grip wet or dry... so you'll stop sooner than on MC tire...
So, I'm not totally convinced that MC tires are without their own flaws...
post #30 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Actually if car tires are good 99% and 1% no good, MC tires are 70% are good and 30% no good. The worst case scenario for bikers is a 'oh sh!t' moment when you hit all brakes and pray you'll stop OK... With car tire the ABS will kick in much later, due to larger contact and superior grip wet or dry... so you'll stop sooner than on MC tire...
So, I'm not totally convinced that MC tires are without their own flaws...
Where do you come up with this crap? I have still yet to see an actual fair assessment of both tires with and without a load!

Facts are, both tires are designed for their own purpose and you are trying to mix it up. You are worried about the rim lip, which really has little of importance. You need to look at the ply's which is easily shown in your cut outs and reason with their purposes. A car is meant for vertical use, where as a motorcycle tire is designed for a rounded-sway use.

Pop question for you, how many motorcycle tires have car type highway terrain tread? The answer is none! That simple fact alone tells you that car tires are not ideal for motorcycles. You think with all these decades of motorcycle use, knowledge and technology, car tires somewhow surpased motorcycles? Wrong, each tire is designed for the best use and to this day, none have car type highway tread. In fact most street motorcyles consist more of a resemblence to car competition street tires! Why, for the very same reason as their purpose, max traction primarily and some minimal wet and soft grip ability.
Mdaniels4 and DarkwingDuck like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CTX700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in