New Issue maybe? High RMP in 1st and Neutral - Honda CTX700 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jfc77320

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

New Issue maybe? High RMP in 1st and Neutral

All, I experiences this 3 time is a year. 2 times when I pulled up to stop light the 2015 CTX 700 DCT bike I own would remain a t 1400-1500 rpm, lurching forward without using brake and I was unable to put it in Neutral. I had to kill the bike when I got to a parking lot. Then I could not put the bike into Drive after I killed it. I restarted the bike multiple times and still no luck until I finally got it to go into gear. I road home and sent it to the dealer. They check the throttle and nothing was wrong. They could not reproduce what I experienced. Their was no error codes either. TheY wrote Honda and Honda said they are just releasing a new DCT PCM update which should prevent this. I can tell a difference in the shift points especially in Sport mode. Will keep you posted if I experience anything similar to what I experienced. Don't know if anyone else had this happen. Ask you dealer to do a PCM update. My dealer had to get it from Honda USA today. I guess it is that new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 11:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DERF1 View Post
All, I experiences this 3 time is a year. 2 times when I pulled up to stop light the 2015 CTX 700 DCT bike I own would remain a t 1400-1500 rpm, lurching forward without using brake and I was unable to put it in Neutral. I had to kill the bike when I got to a parking lot. Then I could not put the bike into Drive after I killed it. I restarted the bike multiple times and still no luck until I finally got it to go into gear. I road home and sent it to the dealer. They check the throttle and nothing was wrong. They could not reproduce what I experienced. Their was no error codes either. TheY wrote Honda and Honda said they are just releasing a new DCT PCM update which should prevent this. I can tell a difference in the shift points especially in Sport mode. Will keep you posted if I experience anything similar to what I experienced. Don't know if anyone else had this happen. Ask you dealer to do a PCM update. My dealer had to get it from Honda USA today. I guess it is that new.
Every time this has occurred, its always come down to either improper shut down or using the kick stand to stop the engine. Always shift into neutral and use the key to turn off the bike.

Your the first person to mention a PCM update for the 680cc twin. That would be great news if its true.
JH700CTX likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks JFC 77320 for the feedback. I did that the first time and it worked. I figured I did some sequence wrong and that prevented me going into Drive. That is something that shouldn't matter and I hope Honda fixes it. Whether you kill it with the kill switch, kick stand or key it should start back up and go. Just my thought. I will pay attention to it. Thanks. I will do a update on how the PCM update improved shifting and gas mileage. I will see if they can give me the version number as will to pass along.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 02:05 AM

Garage
No shift!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DERF1 View Post
Thanks JFC 77320 for the feedback. I did that the first time and it worked. I figured I did some sequence wrong and that prevented me going into Drive. That is something that shouldn't matter and I hope Honda fixes it. Whether you kill it with the kill switch, kick stand or key it should start back up and go. Just my thought. I will pay attention to it. Thanks. I will do a update on how the PCM update improved shifting and gas mileage. I will see if they can give me the version number as will to pass along.
Unlikely to affect your gas mileage.
There have been a few issues with forum members reporting shifting problems with the DCT, so far it's been mostly attributed to not putting it in neutral prior to turning it off (anecdotally, there's been no proof of it's origins). Some others have had shifting issues in the DCT linkage due to faulty shift pins.

The only other troubleshooting I could recommend is to reset your DCT (refer to the manual). It is however just good practice to train your brain to shift in to neutral every time before shutoff and use the key as a CYA move.
Letting the kickstand kill the motor can result in the switch on the stopper for the kickstand failing over time.

CTX700 DCT ABS, (Sold it) Bye Felicia!

BMW 2015 K1600 GT:
  • 160hp, 130FT of torque.. The ultimate F-U to endless pavement.
  • Mileage - 48MPG
  • (working on mods for it)

Content contributor to SolidState Citizen on Blogger

Bike contemplation List:
2019 KTM-1290 SA-R, 2019 BMW R850GSA, 2019 KTM 1090

Last edited by JH700CTX; 06-16-2016 at 02:08 AM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks JH700CTX. I sometimes do what you specified. But other bikes don't have this issue and I hope Honda rectifies it if this causes the problem I had. I will video tape it for the dealer and post it here. Thanks for the input. I believe my issue has been answered for now. You all are awesome and love the sight. Ride Safe!!!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 06:43 PM

It happens to me ones, I yanked the throttle back and forth, it fixed it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 12:48 AM

" I can tell a difference in the shift points especially in Sport mode. "

Can you tell me what's the difference?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CTX700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in