Extended Warranty - Page 2 - Honda CTX700 Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

Moridan, you're not a "dufus" at all. But that's the reason I posted the info on the Extended Warranty, and where to buy it from. We're at a disadvantage on buying this warranty. The dealership knows how much profit they want to make, but we don't know where else we can buy it from...till now.

The MSRP is $660. Dealerships can charge any price for it. In your case, the dealership charged you $550. You got a good deal on it...but it could've been less.

The warranty is from Honda...not the dealership. Which is why you can go to any location in the continental USA (with the possible exception of Florida) and use the warranty there. (Florida has some very strict warranty laws. Best to check before buying if you live there.)

The warranty is commonly referred to as a 5-year warranty, but it really is 4 years...plus your first year warranty...for the total of 5 years. (Suzuki does it that way too.)

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 02:07 AM

Now you have me wondering which is correct. 'Dufus' or 'doofus.' lol...

As for the rest, I was mostly already aware. I knew it was "supposed" to be $660, but the dealership owner said it'd "only" be $550 as the contract was being written up. At that point, I didn't really care either way since I'd decided no matter what to take the most-likely money losing proposition to get the extended warranty. haha

Oh yeah... and I didn't know about the Florida part. But since I'd rather go to the DMV on a Monday morning to try and register a Salvage Title jet ski with multiple lien-holders than go to Florida, I think I'm safe.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 11:09 AM

Unfortunately I bought mine used (only 1147 miles on it), but the original factory warranty has expired so I could not buy the typical extended HondaCare warranty. They DO however, offer a 2-year second owner plan that covers everything the HondaCare warranty offers - the only limitation is that it is only good for 2 years. Cost me $560. Ouch, but worth it if I need it.

Even the dealer was telling me when I was purchasing it that Honda puts out such quality stuff that the warranty was probably not needed, but I got it anyway.

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 12:59 AM

Just bought a 48 month extended HondaCare warranty with John Evans at Blue Ridge Powersports for $430 for my '14 ctx700DCT. This is a great deal. Thanks for the referral.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 08:57 PM

Garage
I tried locally and also to some of the distant south east locations noted here where folks got good deals. I found in general that the out of town folks that I called all seemed to be "busy with customers or the person I needed to talk to was gone for the day". After leaving my name and number and being promised call backs, no one called. One dealer in Alabama that was recommended on this site was contacted 3 times. Always busy or gone and no calls returned. My gut was that they checked out my area code and realized I didn't live in their part of the country and that I was price shopping. My assumption was that they really didn't want to offer any deal to someone living in the midwest who for all intents will never do business with them again.

Local folks quoted prices but the best I could find was $550 for 4 years. I thought long and hard and reviewed my experience with my Vespa and Yamaha Majesty. I had no problems in 6 years of ownership with the Vespa which I bought new. The Majesty had a fuel pump failure in my 5 years of ownership and was 7 years old when the pump failed. I replaced that pump for about $250 using my own labor.

Based on the experiences I've seen here, I'm not seeing any trends towards problems so for all intents I passed on my chance to buy a warranty which ended yesterday. In the mean time I'll start throwing $15 a month towards a repair fund that I will use in case something does pop in the future.

Honda does build good bikes and I think my chances of needing warranty repair is probably minimal. I'm a low mileage rider currently hitting 600 miles in 12 months of ridership. I think back to all the autos that I have purchased over the years new, and all the finance guys at the dealership questioning my wisdom in not taking the extended warranty. I've never regretted turning them down and have never had any repair come up that would have occurred in the extended warranty period. I keep thinking of my travel trailer where they wanted $280 annually for an extended 5 year warranty. I've had that trailer for 10 years and have spent about $800 on repairs. All of those repairs have come after that extended warranty expired. I think the actuaries know that their risk for needing to cover extended warranty repairs for those extended periods is probably pretty small.

Jack
Kermit likes this.

2014 CTX700D DCT

Last edited by jcanavera; 04-09-2015 at 09:10 PM.
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
Based on the experiences I've seen here, I'm not seeing any trends towards problems so for all intents I passed on my chance to buy a warranty which ended yesterday. In the mean time I'll start throwing $15 a month towards a repair fund that I will use in case something does pop in the future.

Jack
Smart idea.

I bought my bike yesterday and will pick it up Saturday. They offered me three different warranties on my way out the door--the standard "covers almost everything for 5 years" warranty, a theft policy, and a tire & wheel policy. The only one that's remotely tempting is the tire & wheel policy for $300ish. I'm going to do a little more research on that one. I'm a low-mileage rider like you, Jack (although I hope to ride this CTX on some longer trips), and I'm hoping this bike lives up to the Honda brand name and the quality that's associated with it.
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 09:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
Smart idea.

I bought my bike yesterday and will pick it up Saturday. They offered me three different warranties on my way out the door--the standard "covers almost everything for 5 years" warranty, a theft policy, and a tire & wheel policy. The only one that's remotely tempting is the tire & wheel policy for $300ish. I'm going to do a little more research on that one. I'm a low-mileage rider like you, Jack (although I hope to ride this CTX on some longer trips), and I'm hoping this bike lives up to the Honda brand name and the quality that's associated with it.
Who did you end up buying it from? What model?

Jack

2014 CTX700D DCT
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 01:37 AM

Just read an article in Consumer Reports that states buying an extended warranty on any new item is throwing money down the drain, anything that fails usually happens after the warranty has run out, you're buying a Honda for crying out loud, the most reliable motorcycle made, as for the DCT it has been out since the VFR 1200.
Ride Safe
Kermit likes this.

2014 CTX 700D
CeeBaily Windshield
Honda Hard Saddlebags
Shad 46 Top Case
Mini Floorboards
12 V socket
Over size Grips
Air Hawk seat cushion
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
Who did you end up buying it from? What model?

Jack
Mungenast. Blue DCT with fairing. Can't wait to ride it!
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 10:20 AM

I of course will check with Honda at some point, but does anyone know if I can get the extended warranty if my "used" 36 mile odometer reading bike is over 1 year old ?

Is there any on line method to verify whether or not the prior owner purchased it? The bike was purchased through a third party whose name I don't know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CTX700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in