Handle Bars - Honda CTX700 Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Handle Bars

Anyone changed there handle bars out??, I am not referring to risers are anything like that I mean the entire handle bar system. I know this may seem unrealistic to many because the bike was designed this way but for me the handle bars feel like at times when I am riding it that they do not seem solid enough, Anyone else ever fell this way when riding and or steering?? Sorry could of posted this under tires and or suspension I guess if
a problem re post it. Thank You

Last edited by War_Book; 09-09-2019 at 07:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 08:18 PM

Not me. I like the bars just fine. I'd probably like the rox risers to bring them up and back a bit but not worth my effort or cost.

2015 ctx700 faired dct
my other toys:
UNFORTUNATELY UNABLE TO BE IDENTIFIED

Last edited by Mdaniels4; 09-09-2019 at 08:26 PM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 10:24 PM

@The_Bachelor did before he abandoned the platform

What do you mean by not feel solid?

2016 CTX700 DCT ABS (His)
2016 CTX700N DCT ABS (Hers)
If you thinking you're a person of some influence, try ordering someone else's dog around. - Will Rogers

Rear Electrical Harness Adapter

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
It is rather hard to explain, Guess it is just me, Anyways I have also noticed something that needs to be adjusted, When I twist the throttle I have a lot of play till the throttle response engages, More then a inch before the bike moves and or RPM'S increase, So looks like my free play is way off. Not sure how much play

these bikes have before the bike and or throttle engages but pretty sure one should not half to wrist twist like I am having too, To be honest it is wearing my wrist out tiring and causing me not to be able to keep a constant steady speed. Anyone know how much play should be in the throttle?? How can I adjust it??, I cant find my manual. Thank You

Last edited by War_Book; 09-09-2019 at 11:09 PM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 12:52 AM

Garage
You can download a copy of your owners manual from the Honda website.
https://powersports.honda.com/downloads/owners-manuals

Instructions on adjusting throttle free play is in the service manual see pages 3-4 and 3-5
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/12...page=78#manual

2014 CTX700ND
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 07:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdaniels4 View Post
Not me. I like the bars just fine. I'd probably like the rox risers to bring them up and back a bit but not worth my effort or cost.
These should do the same job, at a far less cost than the ROX:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-1-8-28mm-...Yp8jiRuKzuN1Fg

Mdaniels4 likes this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by War_Book View Post
It is rather hard to explain, Guess it is just me, Anyways I have also noticed something that needs to be adjusted, When I twist the throttle I have a lot of play till the throttle response engages, More then a inch before the bike moves and or RPM'S increase, So looks like my free play is way off. Not sure how much play

these bikes have before the bike and or throttle engages but pretty sure one should not half to wrist twist like I am having too, To be honest it is wearing my wrist out tiring and causing me not to be able to keep a constant steady speed. Anyone know how much play should be in the throttle?? How can I adjust it??, I cant find my manual. Thank You
Unless your bar clamps are not torqued correctly and thus allowing some movement, this is not a handlebar issue. It is a throttle issue. Use the links provided above to adjust the free play of the throttle.

2016 CTX700 DCT ABS (His)
2016 CTX700N DCT ABS (Hers)
If you thinking you're a person of some influence, try ordering someone else's dog around. - Will Rogers

Rear Electrical Harness Adapter
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 08:50 AM

If you are not sure how to adjust the free play of the throttle it is a five minutes job in motorcycle services. It is important that the free play is correct to avoid overloading your wrist.
Mdaniels4 likes this.

Last edited by maurimy; 09-10-2019 at 10:37 AM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 11:22 AM

I don’t like the stock handlebar. It’s too high and comes too far back for my taste or comfort. I replaced it with an NC700/750X bar early on. Big improvement IMHO. However, the stock bar is a very solid piece of pipe, or rather 5 pieces of pipe welded together. (Three pounds worth.)

I would seriously look at all the “usual suspects” regarding handling, starting with tire pressure and moving on to tightness of all the pieces including the steering head. Also, look at the throttle and make sure the cables are not binding or bent. Just for starters.
explorecaves likes this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 12:25 PM

Garage
howdy, i'll chime in that i also felt that way in the beginning but found that the culpritt for me seemed to be too much throttle spring which was allowing the throttle to slip a bit every time i hit a bump and required a re-grip each time. the first fix i used was a set of grip puppies which helped a lot. since then i have tried leather grip covers which looked nice enough but were too slick and back to the same result as before. since then i have installed a brake-away cruise control and in the process of that cut the grip puppies off and instead of buying new ones i simply put them around the grip and used somethin like duct tape and wrapped the grips to a larger diameter which seemed to make the throttle much more stable. to re-cap, the final fix involved wrapping the grip to a larger diameter which reduced the percieved strenth of the throttle spring. oh, and the cruise control was a really good investment for longer trips to give the right hand a little rest.
ken
CTX2fer likes this.

lotsa miles and smiles to ya

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CTX700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in