DCT oil filter change - Honda CTX700 Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By cjcintucson
  • 1 Post By mzflorida

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

DCT oil filter change

Hi All, Bought my 2015 CTX 700ND a month or so ago with about 6K on it. The oil looked real good, but I figured change it so I know where I am at with that service. Started to look at a service manual that has you taking 3 cowlings off to get at the transmission oil filter. Sat down to start on that and there is this little plate exactly where the pictures show you where to find the DCT filter. I figure, wow this is great, I don't have to remove all those cowlings. Sure enough I unbolt that plate and it comes off with some wiggling and out comes a little oil. There is the spring and the filter. Take spring out and start removing filter. With just the slightest of downward pressure it passes the top lip of the now exposed space it that cowling. Reverse install is the same. With a little push down and in the lip of the filter slips in past the cowling. Place spring and wiggle the plate in to place and bolt it up. It all worked fine and no leaks. Being lazy, I was pretty proud of myself. So, in thinking about it, to make the whole thing a little easier next time why not just Dremmel some of the plastic off the top of the hole in the cowling. Then next time no pressure will be needed. So.. What say you? A possible good idea? Am I missing anything? Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG8469.JPG (416.5 KB, 9 views)
Ruby and SpartaPanther like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 06:58 PM

Garage
I guess it is a really good idea for many! I just could not Dremel a part of it away. I would obsess over repairing it. A good tip for many I am sure!
Ruby likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzflorida View Post
I guess it is a really good idea for many! I just could not Dremel a part of it away. I would obsess over repairing it. A good tip for many I am sure!
I am the 3rd owner. I think the first owner had already cut some holes in some of the muffler shroud and body panel on the other side to mount some pegs in a position that created quite a sport bike position. I took them out as they were not comfortable even as an occasional resting point. So, there are two holes there now. Hence, a little filing of one more body panel will not bother me. In fact, done gently, I don't think it will be very noticeable. Any others have any reason NOT to do this. By the way, as I tell my wife, this is my Last Two Wheeled Motorcycle. So, it the end comes, I won't much care what it looks like and hopefully I will have some easy DCT filter changes before that point.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 09:43 PM

Garage
Agreed completely on all points.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Today, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcintucson View Post
Hi All, Bought my 2015 CTX 700ND a month or so ago with about 6K on it. The oil looked real good, but I figured change it so I know where I am at with that service. Started to look at a service manual that has you taking 3 cowlings off to get at the transmission oil filter. Sat down to start on that and there is this little plate exactly where the pictures show you where to find the DCT filter. I figure, wow this is great, I don't have to remove all those cowlings. Sure enough I unbolt that plate and it comes off with some wiggling and out comes a little oil. There is the spring and the filter. Take spring out and start removing filter. With just the slightest of downward pressure it passes the top lip of the now exposed space it that cowling. Reverse install is the same. With a little push down and in the lip of the filter slips in past the cowling. Place spring and wiggle the plate in to place and bolt it up. It all worked fine and no leaks. Being lazy, I was pretty proud of myself. So, in thinking about it, to make the whole thing a little easier next time why not just Dremmel some of the plastic off the top of the hole in the cowling. Then next time no pressure will be needed. So.. What say you? A possible good idea? Am I missing anything? Thanks.
FYI...per the owner's manual the oil only needs to be changed every 8000 miles.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CTX700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in