Losing sleep about potential damage to my New CXT - Honda CTX700 Forum
 48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Losing sleep about potential damage to my New CXT

Hi Folks,
I am a new rider from NYC and Danbury CT (weekends) with only 20 hours of riding time/ lessons under my belt. While I am excited about picking up a new Red 2018 CXT700 (faired model) tomorrow, Saturday Sept 28th, I must say I've started to lose sleep after reading a number of discouraging reviews of crash bars made for this bike.

I somehow always assumed that there was going to be a crash bar made to actually protect the gas tank and fairing. It seems this never really happened. Since I am new and concerned about protecting my $7800 investment I worry about the consequences of dropping the bike at what could easily be a $500 deductible each time!

Since I have never owned a bike and am especially concerned about having to worry about damaging/replacing a fairing that will probably have limited availability soon. Can anyone who has
experience dropping/ slow speed crashing etc. chime in and let me know what it's been like availability wise and price wise fixing your fairing, gas tank etc... Some say dropping this bike doesn't have major consequences. What do you all think? I could really use some perspective. Thanks, Dave
Ruby likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 02:09 PM

I have not crashed my bike nor have I installed and crash bars. It has fallen over (twice on the same day) while sitting still and turned off as the result of lumpy asphalt in a parking lot. The net damage? Small scratches on the end of the handlebar and mirror.

My advice, have fun with your new toy and stop stressing. Start your riding experience on neighborhood streets and parking lots (e.g. a large church). Learn slow speed control first. In a straight line and then in turns.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 02:53 PM

So as a new rider why get a new bike?
The expectation you have of dropping it, and with your limited experience, yep it could very well happen.
You'd be better off to get a older bike so that part of riding is not in your mind and you can concentrate on your riding skills!
Just my two cents!

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 03:06 PM

Garage
Dave, like dock said, a used bike probably would have been a better first bike, but the CTX is very forgiving and a good first bike. Psychologically speaking, if all you think about is falling, then you'll fall. Try to think positively and all the fun you'll have with that great bike. If you have good training under your belt, you know how to ride. Like was said above, stick to the side streets and parking lots until you get used to the bike. Respect it but enjoy it. Keep in touch and let us know how you're doing.

Welcome to riding, and ride safe.
Vulcan Mediator, 350Four and Ruby like this.

Professor

Honda 2015 CTX700N DCT ABS (Silver Bullet)
Mods: (Check the Gallery)
Puig Universal Touring windscreen
CustomTaylor33 reflective rim tape
Corbin standard dual saddle seat
Mutazu luggage rack assembly
Mutazu model FY hard saddle bags
Comie Top Case
Madstad kickstand shoe
T-Rex center stand
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 03:16 PM

Hello Dave,
Easier said than done but try to stop stressing - if it happens learn from it.
You don't say whether your limited experience includes professional tuition. An MSF course is invaluable and you can learn manoeuvres on their bike.
I was a rider instructor when a lot younger and in my experience most tipovers happen at slow speed, stops or wheeling around the garage.
Edellow is right on the money, practise slow speed control in a parking lot. Always use the rear brake ONLY below 10mph [both front and rear simultaneously above that speed]. The rear brake is a "positional brake", is less fierce than the front, and can bring you to a smooth, controlled stop. Apply the rear brake to the moment of actual stop and touch down with the left foot at stop. Then, at stop, apply the front brake and flat foot both feet.
Try never to stop with the handlebars facing other than straight ahead. The bike will likely tip if you apply gas to take off if the bars aren't mostly straight ahead.
After 45 years of riding and being trained to police standards I still spend the first 10 minutes of every pleasure ride in the Church parking lot at the end of my street.
My advice is minimize your mistakes and learn from them. And, practise, practise, practise.
Hope this helps some...
Will Morgan.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 04:51 PM

Garage
Cool Roger that!!

All good advice given above, the fruit of a couple hundred years of experience I'll venture!

To all that sage advice, I can only recommend you click on the {Fehling Engine Bars} link in my signature below to read an article about my adaptation of them to a fairing type CTX. Methinks that they would provide more protection than the Russian bars (better made & better looking too!

Now here's some more off topic advice for you -- Willkommen, bienvenue, welcome from sunny Florida!!

Welcome from Florida, the land of 333 day riding seasons!! Reading this thread right now we all know where you are from, but the next time you post elsewhere, most of us will not have a clue (especially us old guys!). So, let me suggest that you put your city/state/region in your profile (at least your state). Knowing where you are in general terms, helps readers of your future posts to have a "context" to draw on.

Since you are new to this forum (and their "mechanics" are all different!). Here's how to edit your Profile for your location:

1) Click on "User CP" tab in the upper right corner of this screen. If you don't see it, you are not at the top level. Scroll all the way up and it is just under the Search dialog.
2) Once on the User CP (Control Panel) page you'll see "Edit Your Details" click on the upper left side frame entry labeled "Your Profile"
3) Now scroll down to "Additional Information" & click "Location." Just put in your location at whatever level of detail you prefer (Country, Region, State/Prov, and/or City).
4) Continue to scroll down until you see "Save Changes" at the bottom of the page, click that and you are done.

Note, since most smart phones are not smart enough to allow you to perform the above steps with their truncated screens, you'll likely have to do it using your PC.

Again, welcome!
Ruby likes this.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 04:59 PM

Hello again Dave,
I and several others have offered advice as to how you might avoid potential tipover situations and improve your riding ability.
Reading your post again and replying directly to the question asked: I have no recent tipover experence on either of my bikes although it has happened to most of us during our riding careers. Looking carefully at my own ctx in the event of it grounding on either side, things are going to get expensive quickly if we hope to maintain them and their resale value. Crash bars when fitted might save things like the bags, the muffler, the fairing to some extent. You make an excellent point about the color coded bodywork being obsolete at some stage in the future.
As edellow has said there will be scratches to the extremities as well as bent footpegs etc.
I guess what I was trying to say in my previous verbose reply is- prevention is the watchword.
Will.
kujawskir and Ruby like this.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 05:25 PM

Garage
I put the luggage guards on by T-Rex racing https://www.t-rex-racing.com/category-s/1853.htm. they also have engine guards that they say will work and no cutting. I have not used them so don't know how well they work.
350Four and Ruby like this.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 05:37 PM

Garage
I learned on this bike. (and MSF's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill Will View Post
An MSF course is invaluable and you can learn manoeuvres on their bike.
+1 the course, and other advice from the coach there was pretty good all around.

$350 is less than 5% of your purchase price and VERY much better spent at the course before breaking in your bike. Much better than the $500 deductible after a few scrapes and bruises. A little paint on the tail bits here, a replaced brake pedal or shift lever there, no big deal really but if you're worried about these instead of traffic; there's more important things to be think about while riding for the first few weeks. Spend that $500 on good quality jacket, boots, gloves, and helmet instead of bike parts.

You don't have to drop this bike to learn to ride it, I know. The CTX700 was my first motorcycle when I was 53 yrs old. The kind of restraint it takes to be gentle with this much torque at your fingertips is a tall order for a man under the age of 70 years or more, but you can do it if you're patient. I caution against unguided slow starts in neighborhoods and parking lots before taking the course on NY's bike. Let them sweat the small stuff and you can concentrate on what the coaches are telling you.

When you do learn in a parking lot or back streets, as I suspect you might, you should carefully follow Chill's advice to start and stop STRAIGHT AHEAD as much as possible, and do your first turns at a steady speed. I'm sure you got plenty of "first test" and "basic course" You-Tube vids telling you to look where you want to go and other great things. Remember your "street sea legs" will grow naturally on you at their own pace. Turning and taking off at the same time will be very easy for you soon, not even worth bragging about. It's so simple we forget how hard it was to learn if we rushed it. So don't rush it. Learn it gradually and naturally or you might find yourself still thinking about pushing which side handlebar? left, up, or down? to start leaning which how? - while the bike is already out into oncoming traffic or sending you over the bars.

Best of luck, Shiny side up,
Vulcan Mediator and Ruby like this.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 06:11 PM

Hi Dave, If you put the luggage guards on by T-Rex racing and the drivers floorboards (so they do not move up/down) you can lay the bike on its side and Nothing will touch the ground but the luggage guards and edge of floorboards. That is how I had my 1st full faring CTX 700 set up and I was using it to teach people how to ride.

Now if you are moving and crash there will be damage to the bike, any crash will have some damage. Just hope You do not get hurt.

Get the bike, install drivers floorboards, rear luggage guards (you do not have to have bags) and if you want engine guards, T-Tex makes them with Sliders (check there website).

Also get actual protection for you, motorcycle gear. And check with your health insurance company to make sure you are covered if something happens and you get hurt on the bike. MY health insurance company had a limit on what they would pay out if I got hurt on the bike so I had to get better motorcycle coverage to cover me getting hurt on the bike.

Good luck to you and if you need help I am not far from Candlewood lake,
kujawskir, 350Four and Ruby like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CTX700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in