• 2 Post By PilotBiker
  • 1 Post By PilotBiker
  • 2 Post By Gordon
  • 1 Post By Donquixote
  • 1 Post By Gordon

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

CTX Rider Saved by Airbag?

Having just ordered/purchased a Helite Turtle 2 air bag, I visited their Facebook page. Interestingly enough, it appears, as far as I can tell from the photos, that one recent airbag deployment was from a CTX700 rider wearing a Helite airbag:

https://www.facebook.com/HeliteMotoU...21896224667984

Blue skies,
PilotBiker

P.S. NOTE: I am not associated with Helite Moto in anyway except as a customer.

Last edited by PilotBiker; 08-12-2019 at 02:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 03:01 PM

Looking forward to your review/impressions @PilotBiker
Mdaniels4, Ruby and PilotBiker like this.

Tony

2014 CTX 700N DCT

Kuryakyn Floorboards - Centerstand - Gonzo Shock Mod -Freeway Blaster Horns - Elcheapo Handguards - Madstad kickstand shoe - Madstad 22" Windshield - BrakeAway Cruise Control - Brake light flasher - Throttle Tamer - Oxford Heaterz - Riderscan Mirror - JFC Brackets - Michelin Road 5
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotBiker View Post
Having just ordered/purchased a Helite Turtle 2 air bag, I visited their Facebook page. Interestingly enough, it appears, as far as I can tell from the photos, that one recent airbag deployment was from a CTX700 rider wearing a Helite airbag:

https://www.facebook.com/HeliteMotoU...21896224667984

Blue skies,
PilotBiker

P.S. NOTE: I am not associated with Helite Moto in anyway except as a customer.
I have a Hitair mesh jacket. Love the added assurance.
https://www.ctx700forum.com/forum/480721-post2.html
Ruby and PilotBiker like this.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 10:39 PM

Garage
Pilot Biker: Like insurance, I hope you never have to use it. Would be interested in your comments about fit feel and function with it on.
cheers, Phil
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 05:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan Mediator View Post
Pilot Biker: Like insurance, I hope you never have to use it. Would be interested in your comments about fit feel and function with it on.
cheers, Phil
Yes, absolutely. Still waiting delivery but will provide feedback as soon as able.
Mdaniels4 and Ruby like this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Airbag Systems: Mechanically vs. Electrically Activated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
I've been very happy with my "Hit-air" brand jacket.
It provides me a greater sense of security; not that I ever hope to need it. Five bills
Looks good Gordon!

It was a toss-up between Hit-Air and Helite airbag systems for me, both of which are mechanically activated. No batteries charge or activation lights to monitor...falls into the KISS philosophy IMHO. Helite price point was higher but they probably did a better job with their marketing or maybe the demo girls on the videos were just a tad prettier, ha! Lol. However, one cannot go wrong with either system as they so closely comparable in terms of the technology used and the protection both provides. Lastly, most motorcyclist are worried about accidental activation with these systems where one forgets to unhook from the teether. From what I have read from both the manufacturers and current owners, it is not a common occurrence since it takes a about 30 or so lbs of force to activate and one will get an initial tug if one forgets to unhook before dismounting (Gordon, you can validate this if you wish). In any case, in the unlikely event it does get inadvertently activated, reloading is a simple process of installing a new CO2 canister.

Initially, I was drawn towards the AlpineStars and Dainese sensor/electrically activated airbags. Both were pretty impressive but after much analysis, I decided to go mechanical vs. electrical. Just FYI, once any of these two airbag systems are activated, both require a return to the manufacturer or dealer for a complete check and reload of new canister...at a cost of a few hundred bucks.

Blue skies,
PilotBiker
Ruby likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotBiker View Post
Looks good Gordon!

. From what I have read from both the manufacturers and current owners, it is not a common occurrence since it takes a about 30 or so lbs of force to activate and one will get an initial tug if one forgets to unhook before dismounting (Gordon, you can validate this if you wish).
PilotBiker

You've offered a great overview of the systems. As for tug on the tether; I've tugged a couple of times, but the slightest tug makes you retract. Unlatching is similar to having to undo a seat belt; so you are already trained to go through the motion.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 05:11 PM

I never knew these existed, but they look like a great idea. Do they cut down on airflow significantly?
Ruby likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donquixote View Post
I never knew these existed, but they look like a great idea. Do they cut down on airflow significantly?

Yes they do some, but it really depends on the amount of air flow coming your way. I have upper and lower fairings so air flow is limited. I still ride comfortably in 75 degree weather and try to open up my vents in higher temperatures. I recommend the mesh jacket and then you can layer as you get closer to winter.
Ruby likes this.

Last edited by Gordon; 08-13-2019 at 06:26 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CTX700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in