my Letter to the Editor printed in the Wall Street Journal on 5/7/19 - Honda CTX700 Forum
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
my Letter to the Editor printed in the Wall Street Journal on 5/7/19

From the Paper

Online copy at WSJ

Put American Workers Ahead of Foreigners
If there really is a “downward spiral” in skilled workers as the Economic Innovation Group finds, it’s because of these visa programs. The abuse of the H-1B visa program is as old as the program itself.

Regarding Matthew J. Slaughter’s “Immigrants for the Heartland” (op-ed, April 29): I disagree with importing more foreign workers. Our entire IT department at Siemens ICN was ordered by corporate management to train our replacements, who were Tata India employees on H-1B/L-1B visas. The well-educated American employees were given a small severance and a pink slip. Our extremely diverse department was replaced with an all-young, male, foreign workforce.

It was the most demoralizing time of my career. I had three Indian trainees, each of whom learned a different facet of my job. None had near the knowledge or experience as me, but they were cheaper.

It isn’t just H-1B visas, there is an alphabet soup of visas that corporations can use to not hire citizens. The OPT (Optional Practical Training) visa has grown by 400% recently. Under OPT visas neither corporations nor the visa holder have to pay Social Security or Medicare taxes, which is an immediate savings for the employer of about 13.85% versus hiring a young citizen graduate. Why hire an American when you can own an indentured foreign worker? Both L-1B and OPT visas have no quantity limits or salary constraints and, in most cases, none of these visas require companies to seek qualified Americans before hiring foreign workers.

If there really is a “downward spiral” in skilled workers as the Economic Innovation Group finds, it’s because of these visa programs. The abuse of the H-1B visa program is as old as the program itself. There are YouTube seminars created by immigration attorneys that describe how to not hire qualified Americans.

Our children deserve better. Americans should have the first opportunity for jobs in their own country.

Michael T. Emmons

Longwood, Fla.

http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/hon...6/troup/670877

current ride 2016 CTX700 DCT
Cee Bailey 22" w/vent, center stand, USB adapter, LED strip lights, Saddlebags & Rack, Kuryakyn Floorboards
previous Linhai 275cc scooter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
They took out the best part. Where it reads, add the bold "...but they were cheaper."

None had near the knowledge or experience as me, but they were cheaper, cheaper for the corporations lining the pockets of congress; both parties.
bob witte, 350Four and Daddy Dave like this.

Cee Bailey 22" w/vent, center stand, USB adapter, LED strip lights, Saddlebags & Rack, Kuryakyn Floorboards
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 07:50 PM

I would direct my outrage toward the corporations and not the program or the immigrants. Simple as that. Cancerous legal entities. I work for one.
Bleys and richh like this.

-2013 Triumph Street Triple R
-2018 Triumph Tiger XRx
-2019 Kawasaki Z900RS Cafe

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 09:24 AM

Garage
I'd direct my outrage to the government, which supports the program through corporate bribes, and vote accordingly.
Troup1998 likes this.

Steve Jordan
You can't take the ride from me.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 01:55 PM

Garage
Unhappy $.02 more

I'm for reasonable Congressional term limits and THEN: Publicly financed campaigns/elections with strict time & money limits, (NO outside or personal money); TRUE campaign finance reform. Without these changes, I see no improvement in the current "tilted by $$$$$ playing field", and the continued downward spiral of the "greatest democratic experiment in history" I should add that all electronic voting must be verifiable (paper trail?), perhaps a national standard for voting equipment & methods. Only We The People can communicate/request such change for it to ever happen and believe it or not, We still have the Power @ the ballot box, (and We should always use it, letting the "chips fall where they may"). The two major political parties enable and foster the destructive division that exists among us, (remember the $$$$$)! Only We can demand a sincere effort by each of our elected "representatives" to stand on their own two feet, and strive for change, consensus and unity in our United States. They must not simply "tow the party line", in order for them to stay in office, as is the status quo. I believe that the desire for Peace and Goodwill among us, still prevails in the majority of US.
Just IMHO, done w/my soap box.
Troup1998 likes this.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 06:04 PM

I'm in with you 350four. I tell people we need to dig a hole and put 50% of the senate and of the house in it and cover it up. Then elect new 50% no matter which party. Then tell the 50% that was left you better straighten up or you're gonna be in the hole with the first 50% we buried! They all pretty much have become self serving rather than servants of the people!

Bryan 😤
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

That's why we have elections. We complain but we keep electing the same people. The fact is, most people like their own representatives and party affiliations. Its the other representatives from the other 49 states we like to complain about as if they don't matter. If you don't like the current way things are going, get involved or even run for office. I spent 10 years on a prestigious city board and even ran for office. Sadly, I lost by 60 votes but that didn't stop me from being involved in numerous issues and elections at both the local and state level. My views were always heard and some were even adopted. My point is, I had the opportunity to serve in various capacities and even help direct issues that were near and dear to me. It was an amazing experience and it wasn't that difficult to get involved. I might never had the opportunity if I just sat around on my a** and complained.
Troup1998 and igorgetsin09 like this.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:07 AM

While we're at it how about electing someone OTHER than a Republican or Democrat???
AND elect someone that will vote as their constituency want rather than "along party lines"!
Might just be better!
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
I'd direct my outrage to the government, which supports the program through corporate bribes, and vote accordingly.
I agree, and for what it's worth, they are not immigrants. H-1b/L-1b visa are called "non-immigrant guestworker visas".

I once had a bumper sticker Re-Elect Nobody

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CTX700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in