Scooting towards a CTX700n w/ DCT - Honda CTX700 Forum
 32Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
justBrad9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Raleigh, NC (more or less)
Posts: 17
Scooting towards a CTX700n w/ DCT

Hi, all! New here, coming from the Raleigh area. I only recently began enjoying life on two wheels, taking the MSF course with my wife just over a year ago. We both grasped the basic skills involved in riding a manual transmission motorcycle, at least enough to pass the course and get our endorsement. However, we found that we enjoyed the experience of riding more so than the technical aspects of shifting gears and whatnot, and neither of us are gearheads by any stretch. So, we found ourselves a couple of Kymco scooters (hers a 2018 Like 200i, mine a 2013 Super 8 150) and have just been enjoying riding and building our confidence on the streets and in traffic. Because I bought my scooter used, and it lacks fuel injection, it's a little finicky. I am feeling like I'm ready to graduate to something a bit nicer, more reliable, and more motorcycle-ish (but without the need to shift gears). Through my research, I discovered the CTX700n w/DCT and am hoping it will be the answer. I've watched every video and read every article I can find about them.

I'm wondering if anyone here made the jump from a less powerful scooter to the CTX700n w/ DCT, and what that was like.
Sorry this was so long, but thanks for reading and for any insights you can offer.
Ira and Honda guy like this.

.
justBrad9 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 09:10 AM
Senior Member
 
TLeventry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 336
Welcome!

The best advice I can give is to find one and test ride it. For me the CTX just felt right when I first sat on it. After a test ride, I was sold. The CTX has a very low CG and handles like a much smaller bike.

The DCT is icing on the cake.

Tony

2014 CTX 700N DCT

Kuryakyn Floorboards - Centerstand - Gonzo Shock Mod -Freeway Blaster Horns - Elcheapo Handguards - Madstad kickstand shoe - Madstad 22" Windshield - BrakeAway Cruise Control - Brake light flasher - Throttle Tamer - Oxford Heaterz - Riderscan Mirror - JFC Brackets - Michelin Road 5
TLeventry is offline  
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 09:46 AM
Senior Member
 
mzflorida's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Fort Myers, Florida
Posts: 116
Garage
I agree with Tleventry. There are certain differences between the two platforms that are absolutes (e.g. power, handling characteristics). But the experience of transitioning from one to the other requires a very subjective evaluation. We have two 2018 Kymco Like 150Is in the family (great scoot BTW). Rides fine, acceptable acceleration, pretty good adjustable suspension, surprisingly good handling. It's awesome around town at 25 to 45 MPH. But, my wife's CTX is far more comfortable, confident, planted, and in my opinion, it is safer to operate. I cannot recall anyone transitioning from a scooter (mini or maxi) to the CTX platform expressing anything other than satisfaction. I am not professing to be the most experienced rider here, but what I can tell you is that the CTX is far and away one of the easiest bikes there is to ride. I would argue it is actually easier to ride than a scooter with the DCT option.
mzflorida is offline  
 
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 10:07 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by justBrad9 View Post
Hi, all! New here, coming from the Raleigh area. I only recently began enjoying life on two wheels, taking the MSF course with my wife just over a year ago. We both grasped the basic skills involved in riding a manual transmission motorcycle, at least enough to pass the course and get our endorsement. However, we found that we enjoyed the experience of riding more so than the technical aspects of shifting gears and whatnot, and neither of us are gearheads by any stretch. So, we found ourselves a couple of Kymco scooters (hers a 2018 Like 200i, mine a 2013 Super 8 150) and have just been enjoying riding and building our confidence on the streets and in traffic. Because I bought my scooter used, and it lacks fuel injection, it's a little finicky. I am feeling like I'm ready to graduate to something a bit nicer, more reliable, and more motorcycle-ish (but without the need to shift gears). Through my research, I discovered the CTX700n w/DCT and am hoping it will be the answer. I've watched every video and read every article I can find about them.

I'm wondering if anyone here made the jump from a less powerful scooter to the CTX700n w/ DCT, and what that was like.
Sorry this was so long, but thanks for reading and for any insights you can offer.
The CTX would be a lot more powerful than your scooter as I'm sure you know. Driving it won't be as easy, but close. The CTX is about twice as heavy so you'd have to get used to that. The gears though would be about the same. When you set the CTX to either D or S mode, you don't have to do anything. Just twist & go. I have driven a motorcycle with a CVT (similar to the transmission in your scooter). That motorcycle is a Ridley & has a 750cc engine. Compared to that, the CTX has more power in the lower gears. Guessing you'll notice the CTX is more powerful overall but especially in the lower gears.
If you want to drive a CTX with DCT, Baker Motorsports in Fayetteville has one for sale. I'd let you drive mine, but I just had an accident. I still have the Ridley & would offer you a ride on that, but it's not registered. (I'm in the Raleigh area).
Mdaniels4 and Daddy Dave like this.
Morefilling is offline  
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 01:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: spokane, washington
Posts: 970
Garage
howdy and welcome to the forum from the top left of the u.s. mainland map
i also came from a cvt scooter , in fact from a series of scooters due to being unable to operate and get on and off a regular motorcycle. i would have not come back to a motorcycle (ctx) except that it allowed me to operate all the controls as if it was and is designed for old farts. it gets better fuel mileage than the last scooter i had which was the bv350 piaggio which is a great scooter for long distance travel and around town.

ken
Daddy Dave likes this.

lotsa miles and smiles to ya
ctxdawg is offline  
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 03:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: St Petersburg Florida
Posts: 325
Garage
If having the DCT transmission is a must also look at the NC 700 / 750. It is important to match the bike to your location and riding environment. The scooter experience should help in the transition to the feet forward seating position. The rear suspension on the CTX is pretty stiff with little travel and is best suited for smooth nicely paved roads. If you plan on exploring the back roads in your area like I would with lots of bumps, gravel and pot holes it can take a toll on your back. A bike with a more neutral seating position and more suspension travel may be more versatile for the roads you plan to ride. I have an N model DCT and think it is the ultimate beach cruiser. Nothing but smooth flat roads, stop and go constant 0 to 35 mph max acceleration in heavy traffic maintaining over 60 mpg. I have no complaints about the suspension or lack of horse power because the bike perfectly fits and excels in my riding environment. I bought the bike used and paid cash for it and 2 years later still cant find anything better suited at any cost for what I use it for. Enjoy your shopping and there is no better feeling than years after the purchase knowing you scored the perfect bike for you.!!!
Daddy Dave and mzflorida like this.

2014 CTX700ND
dgall is offline  
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 06:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Central NC
Posts: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by justBrad9 View Post
Hi, all! New here, coming from the Raleigh area. ..............
Welcome. Haven't done the jump you are asking about but it won't be a problem. The DCT is still just a twist and go. Just be careful because from 0 to 20mph the throttle is VERY sensitive so turn it REALLY slowly until you get the hang of it.

Check with some of the Honda dealers. I know the Cycle Center in Asheboro will let you test ride if they have one available.

Otherwise check out meetup.com for some local riding groups. There may be someone in the group with a CTX.

https://www.meetup.com/find/?allMeet...C&sort=default


I'm about a two hours west of you. Good Luck.

Steve
Mdaniels4 and Daddy Dave like this.

2014 CTX700D
SteveDCT is offline  
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 08:46 PM
Senior Member
 
mzflorida's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Fort Myers, Florida
Posts: 116
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgall View Post
must also look at the NC 700 / 750.
I could not agree more if it checks the boxes for you. I have few regrets in my life. I truly regret selling my NC700. It is a riders' bike and my favorite of all time to own. Got rid of it due to a lack of garage space. I will be adding an NC750 to the fleet. Nearly as easy to ride as the CTX but is inarguably much more versatile.
dgall and Daddy Dave like this.
mzflorida is offline  
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
justBrad9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Raleigh, NC (more or less)
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgall View Post
If having the DCT transmission is a must also look at the NC 700 / 750.
I have looked at those, and briefly considered going in that direction. However, what appeals to me about the CTX is the low seat height. I'm 5'6" (on a good day...lol) and would prefer to be able to get my feet firmly on the ground. My Kymco has a seat height of around 31" if I'm not mistaken, and my feet reach the ground, but I can't plant them both flat at the same time. If height wasn't a factor, I'd probably look at the Africa Twin. That said, I'm really only looking to cruise around our area and maybe, eventually, make short highway trips.
kujawskir and Daddy Dave like this.

.
justBrad9 is offline  
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 12:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Daddy Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Granite Bay, CA
Posts: 1,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by justBrad9 View Post
I have looked at those, and briefly considered going in that direction. However, what appeals to me about the CTX is the low seat height. I'm 5'6" (on a good day...lol) and would prefer to be able to get my feet firmly on the ground. My Kymco has a seat height of around 31" if I'm not mistaken, and my feet reach the ground, but I can't plant them both flat at the same time. If height wasn't a factor, I'd probably look at the Africa Twin. That said, I'm really only looking to cruise around our area and maybe, eventually, make short highway trips.
I'm under 5'4" and would need a ladder to ride a NC750. But the CTX700 fits great. For cruising around and highway trips the CTX is a great bike. Until recently, I was regularly riding 300-350 miles a day on my job. Quite a few of the members here have taken much longer rides, even cross country. Lots of options to personalize your CTX for whatever you want.

Best of luck,

DD
BobWitte and mzflorida like this.
Daddy Dave is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CTX700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome