CTX 700 Forum banner

Uff Dah! New Member In Minneapolis

3K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  sosapop16 
#1 ·
Greetings!

I resurrected an '82 GL500 last summer. My neighbor put it in his garage when his 14 year old daughter was born and hadn't ridden it since then. She started right up with a jump battery after I put Mystery Oil in the cylinders and cranked it with the plugs out and sat overnite. She started right up!

I want to put a sidecar on it so my Akita can ride with me and also so I can ride all winter. That has me looking for something to tour with. I thought of keeping my eye open for a GL650 but I've also been looking at other Hondas. At first, the NC700/750X. But I ride on pavement and the adventure styling seems to just be styling. The CX500forum.com has been extremely helpful with my GL500. When told folks what I was looking for there, someone said I should check out the CTX700. It really meets my needs more closely than the NC750X.
I've seen new 2016 CTX700s on sale in neighboring Wisconsin for under $4,000, which is less than used ones are going for on CL or Marketplace. My only wish is that the CTX700 had a driveshaft and not a chain.

I won't be buying until next year. I turn 66 in December and this is how I will celebrate. My daughter lives in Grayling Michigan and I'd like to take trips there riding through northern WIsconsin and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

So I am here to learn as much as possible.

Thanks,

Lee

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
Thanks! I found it in my neighbor's garage across the alley last year. Only had 7,300 miles on it. I'd been looking for one since I moved back from Japan in 2007. Had no Idea I'd find one next door. The trunk is brand new out of the box. A friend on the CX500 forum sold it to me. He has a Goldwing trunk on his so this one was never mounted. Really spiffs up the bike!

Man am I jealous. Your GL is really awesome. I have few regrets. But one regret I have is selling my NC700. It is a great machine, not exciting by any means but so easy to ride and does anything.
Willkommen, bienvenue, welcome!! Ah yes, welcome from sunny Florida, the land of 333 day riding seasons!!
The 82 GL500i was my previous ride. I triked it as well and there is an extensive thread on the CX Forum about what all I did. I had the same handle on there as here (Bob Witte) or you can search for "Dances-With-Trikes" which was the bikes moniker because of the classic Indian fender skirts front & rear that I made for it.
Thanks! And thanks for the feedback. I think I'm putting collector plates on the GL. I can justify it if I have another bike in the garage.
I am not a fan of the adventure look. I suppose I should ride both. The big plus for the CTX for me and that $3,500.00 is 4 or 5 thousand dollars less than a New NC.
Your trike was awesome! There are a couple Police trikes here in the Twin Cities. They have Jeep rear ends and reverse. Who made the drawing? I am a studio potter.

Welcome, Lee! I'm in Apple Valley, 2015 ctx dct. Took the C to Montana last year, around Lake Superior this year. Bike is a wonderful tourer. We have a group called the minn maxxers, initially started out as a big scooter group but has evolved to can ams, my ctx and a smattering of other rides. All are welcome. We do one group ride a month, and then pick up rides. We also do one extended weekend ride a year. This year is to Prairie du Chien.
Nice to have you here! Mark
I am interested in the group. I am a member of the Japanese Antique Motorcycle Club and am going to join the Viking club.

Welcome to the forum. Great folks and info here. Those GL's are great bikes

I have included a link to my bike that is all set up for long distance cruising. Had a great trip around Lake Superior on this bike a fews years ago. However I have put it to bed for the winter since I too live in Mpls, but if your interested give me a call maybe we could work something out.

https://www.ctx700forum.com/forum/ctx700-vehicle-sales/79703-2015-blue-ctx700-w-dct-abs.html
Thanks Mark! That sure looks perfect!

#3 · (Edited)
Man am I jealous. Your GL is really awesome. I have few regrets. But one regret I have is selling my NC700. It is a great machine, not exciting by any means but so easy to ride and does anything. You do sit higher in traffic which does allow you to see farther downroad than on the CTX. There is an argument that you can be seen by others too with the increased height. The NC does have sidecar kits available commercially, color-matched. Don't get me wrong, the CTX is a great machine too. The NC is far more versatile with its increased ground clearance, ride height, and increased displacement. It is also currently in production. I plan on adding an NC to the stable soon. But, both the CTX and the NC have really generic suspension and forks (fork stiction and springs suck) and crappy seats. but you are obviously competent mechanically so relatively easy remedies to do on your own.

#4 · (Edited)
Greetings!

I resurrected an '82 GL500 last summer. My neighbor put it in his garage when his 14 year old daughter was born and hadn't ridden it since then. She started right up with a jump battery after I put Mystery Oil in the cylinders and cranked it with the plugs out and sat overnite. She started right up!

I want to put a sidecar on it so my Akita can ride with me and also so I can ride all winter. That has me looking for something to tour with. I thought of keeping my eye open for a GL650 but I've also been looking at other Hondas. At first, the NC700/750X. But I ride on pavement and the adventure styling seems to just be styling. The CX500forum.com has been extremely helpful with my GL500. When told folks what I was looking for there, someone said I should check out the CTX700. It really meets my needs more closely than the NC750X.
I've seen new 2016 CTX700s on sale in neighboring Wisconsin for under $4,000, which is less than used ones are going for on CL or Marketplace. My only wish is that the CTX700 had a driveshaft and not a chain.

I won't be buying until next year. I turn 66 in December and this is how I will celebrate. My daughter lives in Grayling Michigan and I'd like to take trips there riding through northern WIsconsin and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

So I am here to learn as much as possible.

Thanks,

Lee
Willkommen, bienvenue, welcome!! Ah yes, welcome from sunny Florida, the land of 333 day riding seasons!!

The 82 GL500i was my previous ride. I triked it as well and there is an extensive thread on the CX Forum about what all I did. I had the same handle on there as here (Bob Witte) or you can search for "Dances-With-Trikes" which was the bikes moniker because of the classic Indian fender skirts front & rear that I made for it.

Here's what my trike looked like in its "glory days" just before moving on:

You might also enjoy seeing this drawing:

Okay, let's take care of a little business -- reading this thread right now we all know where you are from, but the next time you post elsewhere, most of us will not have a clue (especially us old guys!). So, let me suggest that you put your city/state/region in your profile (at least your state). Knowing where you are in general terms, helps readers of your future posts to have a "context" to draw on.

Since you are new to this forum (and their "mechanics" are all different!). Here's how to edit your Profile for your location:

1) Click on "User CP" tab in the upper right corner of this screen. If you don't see it, you are not at the top level. Scroll all the way up and it is just under the Search dialog.
2) Once on the User CP (Control Panel) page you'll see "Edit Your Details" click on the upper left side frame entry labeled "Your Profile"
3) Now scroll down to "Additional Information" & click "Location." Just put in your location at whatever level of detail you prefer (Country, Region, State/Prov, and/or City).
4) Continue to scroll down until you see "Save Changes" at the bottom of the page, click that and you are done.

Note, since most smart phones are not smart enough to allow you to perform the above steps with their truncated screens, you'll likely have to do it using your PC.

Again, welcome!:D:D:D

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks! I made a .sig right after posting the original post. This is a test to see if it takes

It didn't, but somehow I ended up in Tapatalk. Will try to get out of it.

That's weird! Can't see the .sig in Tap but I can in normal mode.

Thanks everyone for the welcome. I'll write more soon.

#6 ·

I have included a link to my bike that is all set up for long distance cruising. Had a great trip around Lake Superior on this bike a fews years ago. However I have put it to bed for the winter since I too live in Mpls, but if your interested give me a call maybe we could work something out.

https://www.ctx700forum.com/forum/ctx700-vehicle-sales/79703-2015-blue-ctx700-w-dct-abs.html

#15 ·

SOLD
What seat is that and windshield?

#7 ·
Welcome, Lee! I'm in Apple Valley, 2015 ctx dct. Took the C to Montana last year, around Lake Superior this year. Bike is a wonderful tourer. We have a group called the minn maxxers, initially started out as a big scooter group but has evolved to can ams, my ctx and a smattering of other rides. All are welcome. We do one group ride a month, and then pick up rides. We also do one extended weekend ride a year. This year is to Prairie du Chien.

Nice to have you here! Mark

#9 ·
Welcome!

#10 ·
Thanks for the welcome TLeventry! It was a balmy 40*F yesterday, so I took the Silverwing out for a ride. It started a light rain. I have a Slipstreamer Turbo windscreen on her and it gives plenty of protection. Didn't need to put the raingear on.

#14 · (Edited)
I don't think that the Pacific Coast (aka PC800) had any kind of auto transmission. I never owned one, but in 2011, I researched them in detail and rode several when I was shopping for one of those or the Silverwing twisted twin to be in The Trinity Trike mid-sized shaft drive prototype. I found the GL500i before any PC800 and thus the rest is in my personal trike history documented in my trike build thread cited in my signature below.

There were some early Hondamatic "automatics" as documented in Wikipedia, which says:

"The Hondamatic was later used in Honda's 400, 450 and 750 cc motorcycles. In this application, it was not a true automatic transmission, as the driver had to manually select one of the two gears, though Honda's torque converter meant that no clutch was needed.

Applications:

CB750A (1976-1978)
CB400A Hawk Hondamatic (1978)
CM400A Hondamatic (1979-1981)
CM450A Hondamatic (1982-1983)"

I have driven a couple of those bikes, and you are able to take off in 2nd gear and thus not shift anything at all and which felt a lot like a CVT driven scooter.
:nerd: