OEM Saddlebags - Trick to taking off and putting back on?? - Honda CTX700 Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By edellow
  • 1 Post By wmjw

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

OEM Saddlebags - Trick to taking off and putting back on??

So, wondering who has cracked the code on easily taking the OEM saddlebags off (the easier of the two operations) and putting them back on (the harder op). It is easy to hook them onto the D ring if you don't along the tube first. When you align the tube to the post attachment point, even with the clamp wide open, its difficult to clear the top plastic lip of the bag attachment mechanism. Hoping somebody knows the 'easy way' to get these guys off and on. Other than that aspect, I love the functionality and the look of the bags.

Thanks!!

Brian

2018 Honda CTX700D
2007 Vespa GTS 250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 06:06 AM

Garage
You put the key in and unlock the lock, then you start twisting and grunting. After that you take a knee so you can get a different view and tug and grunt some more. Those bags are very difficult to remove (and I'm glad they are), I do not remove them enough to get a pattern for the procedure, I may take them off once a year to polish the area or adjust the chain. Each time I study the mount and think I have a plan, but it is always a tough job.
Keep trying!
Gary

Ride it if you can, mod it if you can't!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 02:35 PM

To Put on
1) Start at the bottom connection. Put the female end on the case onto the male end on the bike BUT only 1/3 to 1/2 of the way. Or as little as you can. If you put it all the way in, it makes thinks difficult.
2) Pull the handle on the luggage back while inserting the top on the metal loop. It should go on fairly easy with the bottom only partially on.
3) Rotate the bag (clockwise on the right side or counter-clockwise on the left side) to fully engage the bottom mount.
4) Close the handle

Removal is an easy 5 second job.

To put on, just reverse starting with a rotation of the bag to partial disengage the bottom first.

It helps if the rod on the back (with the female end) is a bit loose on the bag.

Want to remove the key from the bag while unlocked? I have a guide for that modification on this forum.
350Four and egkane71 like this.

Last edited by edellow; 10-08-2019 at 02:44 PM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys - I will try all suggestions including the grunting (think I already have that part down!).

Brian

2018 Honda CTX700D
2007 Vespa GTS 250
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:02 PM

I have to loosen the attaching support bolts about 5 turns. Then it comes off easily.
CTX2fer likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CTX700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in