replacing front fender - Honda CTX700 Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
replacing front fender

I had a little accident this morning and now want to replace my front fender which got cracked. The job sure looks easy, three bolts on each side, then I looked at the exploded diagram that comes with the part ordering system and there a help of a lot more parts then you would expect. Has anyone taken off their front fender and is there anything I should know about it? Is it hard to get the fender brace lined up with the holes on the fender?
Ruby likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 11:15 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTCTX700 View Post
I had a little accident this morning and now want to replace my front fender which got cracked. The job sure looks easy, three bolts on each side, then I looked at the exploded diagram that comes with the part ordering system and there a help of a lot more parts then you would expect. Has anyone taken off their front fender and is there anything I should know about it? Is it hard to get the fender brace lined up with the holes on the fender?
As I remember, remove the six bolts you've identified, lift it up a bit and tilt to one side, then pull it forward to remove. The misc stuff (the brace, reflectors, brakeline guide, etc.) you see in that drawing all connect in one way or another to those six bolts. Not hard.
Ruby and explorecaves like this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Yep, lift the front wheel off ground, detach brakes, remove wheel and the rest of the fender brackets and brake line holders. Fender slides up and down, not forward and back.

Not easy to do if you have no proper tools or equipment!
Ruby likes this.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
You have to remove the wheel to replace the fender?
Ruby likes this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
You have to remove the wheel to replace the fender?
Absolutely, the fender shapes around the forks. Common practice on most plastic fendered bikes.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
And you have done this before? Removed the front fender on a CTX700 and you had to remove the wheel?
Ruby likes this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel13 View Post
Absolutely, the fender shapes around the forks. Common practice on most plastic fendered bikes.
Negative. I did not pull my wheel when I painted my bike. Once you have everything disconnected, you can slide the fender up and tilt a touch to clear the forks. Then you just rotate it out.
BobWitte likes this.

2016 CTX700 DCT ABS (His)
2016 CTX700N DCT ABS (Hers)
If you thinking you're a person of some influence, try ordering someone else's dog around. - Will Rogers

Rear Electrical Harness Adapter
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 01:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorecaves View Post
Negative. I did not pull my wheel when I painted my bike. Once you have everything disconnected, you can slide the fender up and tilt a touch to clear the forks. Then you just rotate it out.
Yep, that's how I remember doing it, although it has been a couple of years since. I can't promise that CRS may have taken that part of my brain over in the meantime.
explorecaves likes this.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorecaves View Post
If it works for you great. With the fork brace, everything in the way and keeping an eye on the paint/body, the risk is yours.

Quote:
And you have done this before? Removed the front fender on a CTX700 and you had to remove the wheel?
Yes, I have done it before.... https://www.ctx700forum.com/forum/wh...tml#post420042

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 11:08 PM

Garage
Not rocket science nor brain surgery, Reb. Besides, they've got a bunged up fender to practice on while they find a new one to replace it. By the time it is removed/replaced a couple of times their steady hand could do it blindfolded with the speed & precision of a pit crew chief.

Taking off the front wheel is a huge pain (and I've done that more than once as well). Being lazy enough, I'd do mine with a twist in a heartbeat.
explorecaves likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CTX700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in