Where and how do people install deer whistles? - Honda CTX700 Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Where and how do people install deer whistles?

Good timing the other day gave me the chance to connect with TIP as he took a little jaunt through eastern Ontario, western Quebec and part of the near north. Nice to meet him in person and get a chance to talk with a very knowledgeable and nice guy. One thing I noted, but not in too much detail, was his deer whistles.

I have scanned a few of the threads on the site about them, but haven't found any info about how anyone actually mounted them. Do most people just use the two sided tape that comes with them? From what I have heard, that is a good and quick way to have them disappear and provide trinkets for people walking down the road.

As I will be travelling in deer (and moose) country, and remember a close encounter I had with a coyote in the GAspe that I don't want to repeat, I would love to hear from people as to where exactly they mounted their whistles and how they did so.

After parting from TIP, I passed a nice looking dark blue C with faring on my way home: never saw two other C's in one day before.
SpartaPanther likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 06:55 PM

Garage
Zoom in just above the horn in front of her left foot, you can see one hidden on the panel below the fairing. The opposite side is about the same.

https://www.ctx700forum.com/forum/me...new-jacket.jpg
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
We don't! There is absolutely no proof that they work after decades of research. Attach it next to your Gremlin Bell, both are just as useless, just comfort objects.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 09:40 PM
TIP

Hey reb, there is no proof that they don't work either. According to the Ontario Provincial Police a number of years ago they tested them on cruisers in the Grand Bend area and the instances of deer collisions declined. The company I worked for are based out of northern Ontario with over 500 trucks. They install them on all new units. I really couldn't care less if there is no scientific evidence, if by chance they scare 1 deer from being in my path, I feel they are worth it. I have them on all my vehicles and the were on the trucks that I put millions of miles on and maybe luckily, I have never hit a deer. Had a black bear come to the edge of the highway this week while on the bike and as I started to slow, he turned and ambled back into the woods. Maybe he heard my whistles and thought he was a deer.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIP View Post
Hey reb, there is no proof that they don't work either. According to the Ontario Provincial Police a number of years ago they tested them on cruisers in the Grand Bend area and the instances of deer collisions declined. The company I worked for are based out of northern Ontario with over 500 trucks. They install them on all new units. I really couldn't care less if there is no scientific evidence, if by chance they scare 1 deer from being in my path, I feel they are worth it. I have them on all my vehicles and the were on the trucks that I put millions of miles on and maybe luckily, I have never hit a deer. Had a black bear come to the edge of the highway this week while on the bike and as I started to slow, he turned and ambled back into the woods. Maybe he heard my whistles and thought he was a deer.
MAYBE the Bogeyman is watching you.......give me a break!

All of what you said is pointless suspicion! I stand by and repeat what I said the first time, just a comfort object.

How do you feel about loud exhausts?

post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Kujawskir and TIP; did you both just use the two sided tape or did you secure them in some other manner, if so, how?

TIP, glad you and the bear kept your respective distances and you both made it home safely. If you feel like another little jaunt, I'll keep you posted. Heading out to take a ride with Muised in Nova Scotia at the end of the month; you are free to join us if you like. Currently will be a CTX700N, NC750(S or X, forget which) and possibly a Stateline.

Looking to get my Brake Away installed this weekend. By the way, next time you are up this way, there is a small town called Delta just north of Brockville. largely restored automated water powered gristmill that was originally built around 1815 is fascinating to see.

Phil
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 10:46 PM
TIP

Vulcan, I ran into the bear shortly after leaving Mont Laurier. Kind of took me by surprise. Always looking for moose or deer, but it is the first bear encounter I have had. By the way if you have never traveled that 327 out of La Chute Quebec, it is awsome. Steep hills and tight corners for miles. Great scenery . Some of those hills were at least 10 to 25 % grades and 90 klm speed limit ., down the other side and a 25 klm curve. Was at Timmins last night and am now at Barry's Bay for the night. WILL visit my 2 daughter tomorrow, 1in Apsley and the other in Anton Mills. My son in law gets tomorrow pm off so we will do a bit of riding . Should have about 3000 klm by the time I get home. So far a great trip.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIP View Post
Vulcan, I ran into the bear shortly after leaving Mont Laurier. Kind of took me by surprise. Always looking for moose or deer, but it is the first bear encounter I have had. By the way if you have never traveled that 327 out of La Chute Quebec, it is awsome. Steep hills and tight corners for miles. Great scenery . Some of those hills were at least 10 to 25 % grades and 90 klm speed limit ., down the other side and a 25 klm curve. Was at Timmins last night and am now at Barry's Bay for the night. WILL visit my 2 daughter tomorrow, 1in Apsley and the other in Anton Mills. My son in law gets tomorrow pm off so we will do a bit of riding . Should have about 3000 klm by the time I get home. So far a great trip.
Great riding throughout the Laurentians. I know the area around La Chute through to Mont Tremblant quite well. I ignore the speed limits (often driving well below them) as many of the roads get quite intimidating due to many of the drivers and totally blind curves.

You will have a nice ride tomorrow as the roads around Barry's Bay, Bancroft and the like are gorgeous with all the exposed granite of the canadian shield and all the lakes and rivers. Trivia: how many lakes in Quebec? over 1,000,000.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 01:09 PM

why do those who have a different opinion on something feel the need start an argument complete with insults?
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 06:28 AM

DSC 0946

This a test signiture

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CTX700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in