CTX700 vs CTX1300 - Honda CTX700 Forum
 47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

CTX700 vs CTX1300

Hello. I am seriously considering purchasing the CTX700 DCT.

I am 62 years old, 5'-11", 235 lbs, and have most recently owned 3 bikes - other than the bikes of my "youth."

When I got back into riding at 55, I bought a 2008 HD V-Rod. I rode that bike for a year. It was pretty difficult getting used to the heavy weight, and the raked front fork was horrible for slow speed handling. Gas mileage was horrible. I ultimately traded that in on a 2006 Road King, which I rode for about two years before trading it in on a 2009 Honda ST1300. I loved the ST, but if I am to be self-honest, I never got really comfortable with the high COG and the riding position. It could be downright scary when accelerating, the bend in the knees was tiring and I would start getting "shifter's wrist" from riding in town. I put 24,000 miles on the ST in two years.

Then the crash came. I was about 3 blocks from my home, going 35 mph in the neighborhood and went down. I was distracted by someone (too cute?) on the sidewalk and kept going straight while the road turned... hit the curb and went flying. Lucky for me I was wearing full gear... no broken skin... just blunt-force trauma to my right chest (8 broken ribs, punctured & collapsed lung, broken scapula.) The good news is, because of that incident, my underlying heart problem was discovered and I ended up getting a triple bypass. That was almost 2 years ago.

I was "out of the game" long enough to not know about the new CTX bikes. I was at the local Honda dealer last week and saw the CTX1300's on the floor, and was absolutely blown away. To me, these bikes are drop-dead gorgeous. I sat on the 1300 and have not been able to think about much else since...

Then, while researching the CTX1300, came across the CTX700. The styling and look is very close, then there is the PRICE, which is amazingly reasonable. After reading a ton of reviews, I am zeroing in on the DCT ABS with "bags" as the target machine.

My question is - would I be "disappointed" with a smaller, lighter 700cc bike after almost 5 years of 700+ lb. motorcycles? From all the reviews, the DCT looks like one of the best ideas in motorcycling for a long time too... the thought of no more left-wrist carpal tunnel twinge is extremely appealing.

P.S. - I very rarely ever ride with a passenger.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!!

Brian
apple2gs likes this.

Last edited by brianfromlouisville; 06-29-2014 at 02:59 PM. Reason: added my weight
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianfromlouisville View Post
Hello. I am seriously considering purchasing the CTX700 DCT.

I am 62 years old, 5'-11", 235 lbs, and have most recently owned 3 bikes - other than the bikes of my "youth."

When I got back into riding at 55, I bought a 2008 HD V-Rod. I rode that bike for a year. It was pretty difficult getting used to the heavy weight, and the raked front fork was horrible for slow speed handling. Gas mileage was horrible. I ultimately traded that in on a 2006 Road King, which I rode for about two years before trading it in on a 2009 Honda ST1300. I loved the ST, but if I am to be self-honest, I never got really comfortable with the high COG and the riding position. It could be downright scary when accelerating, the bend in the knees was tiring and I would start getting "shifter's wrist" from riding in town. I put 24,000 miles on the ST in two years.

Then the crash came. I was about 3 blocks from my home, going 35 mph in the neighborhood and went down. I was distracted by someone (too cute?) on the sidewalk and kept going straight while the road turned... hit the curb and went flying. Lucky for me I was wearing full gear... no broken skin... just blunt-force trauma to my right chest (8 broken ribs, punctured & collapsed lung, broken scapula.) The good news is, because of that incident, my underlying heart problem was discovered and I ended up getting a triple bypass. That was almost 2 years ago.

I was "out of the game" long enough to not know about the new CTX bikes. I was at the local Honda dealer last week and saw the CTX1300's on the floor, and was absolutely blown away. To me, these bikes are drop-dead gorgeous. I sat on the 1300 and have not been able to think about much else since...

Then, while researching the CTX1300, came across the CTX700. The styling and look is very close, then there is the PRICE, which is amazingly reasonable. After reading a ton of reviews, I am zeroing in on the DCT ABS with "bags" as the target machine.

My question is - would I be "disappointed" with a smaller, lighter 700cc bike after almost 5 years of 700+ lb. motorcycles? From all the reviews, the DCT looks like one of the best ideas in motorcycling for a long time too... the thought of no more left-wrist carpal tunnel twinge is extremely appealing.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!!

Brian

You'll find lots of positive feedback about the 700 here. What kind of riding do you want to do? Around town? 700 is cake. DCT means no need to shift in traffic. Long haul? yeah, but with a 3.1 gallon tank, you'll want to plan a bit. Good news is 60mpg+ is easy to get and you'll prolly wanna be off bike every hour or 2 anyway.

There's a small but growing aftermarket, which means seats, floor boards, luggage is something that's starting to get easier to get.

Differences in other bikes and this one, besides the dct? VERY low center of gravity which makes the just under 500lbs this bike comes in at feel like a 250cc bike when you swing a leg over. That low weight makes the bike handle so nice.

Welcome to the forum,and make sure to let us know what you decide.

--Tim
Current ride: CTX700nd
Previous rides: 2011 cbr250, 1980 suzuki 1100gl, 1981 yamaha 650, 1979 yamaha 750 special
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome Brian to the forum. I'm 54 and have some physical issues that make riding a manual bike difficult as well. Heavy weights are out of the question. The CTX700 DCT has been the perfect bike for me and I rate it as the best I've ever owned. The low center of gravity and light weight make the CTX a dream to ride. It handles better than any other cruiser on the market similar to a sport bike. The 680cc parallel twin produces plenty of low to mid range torque and the torque curve is relatively flat all the way to 6500 rpms. Acceleration is smooth and controllable. Passing is easy at Hwy speeds even when riding 2 up or carrying heavier loads. Its not a rocket so you don't feel like you just hit warp speed.

The DCT is incredible and as long as Honda keeps producing it, I will continue to ride one long after my current bike is gone. I cant say enough about it and I highly recommend it. Riding is so much more fun and enjoyable. I actually find my awareness has increased and I pay much closer attention to what's going on around me. Many people who ride manual bikes don't realize how much work and strain shifting really requires. I now ride much farther with less physical complaint. Breaks are much shorter. There's no comparison if you ride in city for any length of time and stop and go is actually easy. The Tank seems small but you can expect avg. 200 mile range since the bike avg. about 65+mpg.

Stick with the CTX700 DCT (fairing) model. Add a CeeBailey windshield and some luggage and I bet you never ride another bike.

Last edited by jfc77320; 06-29-2014 at 04:42 PM.

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Hey Brian,

Welcome to the site. Is there a reason you picked 3 heavy bikes? I have had many bikes in my life but I never had the big heavy cruisers though. If you need/want something that is heavy and powerful where you want to cruise the interstates at 80-90 mph the CTX700 may be a bit light for that, but it will do it. If you cruise the interstates at 70-75 mph the CTX700 does great.

It is a very fun and easy bike to ride and it so well balanced. The weight is very low and it keeps its track in curves. It is just a very fun bike and very smooth bike. I have cruised at 80 mph but wouldn't want to do for multiple days, but I have never tried to do that with any bike. Just plan on having to get a good aftermarket windshield and you will be good to go. There is plenty of info here on topcases and sidecases if you do get a CTX700. Good luck and tell us what you decide.
apple2gs likes this.

Ride safe,

JeffR

2014 CTX700D (9,000 miles)
24" Cee Bailey
Laminar Lip
52 liter Top Case
Low-profile Corbin (best mod)
Honda Rear Carrier

post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

CTX700 vs CTX1300

JeffR -
My reasons for getting a bigger bike were, 1. Being a "fattie", 2. I rode a smaller 250 for MSF training, which was not adequate, 3. I mistakenly thought the V-Rod was a high-tech bike, 4. I always liked the "bagger" look. In retrospect, the ST1300 was for much more advanced riders. I averaged around 12k miles per year (in Texas, that's easy) and I want a bike that can do either local commute or occasional road trips.

Thanks for your feedback!!
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

You should do very well on the CTX700 DCT. Easy to ride and very forgiving. As a commuter bike, you could find none better and its perfectly capable of making 300 mile trips with ease. What part of Texas if you don't mind me asking?
apple2gs likes this.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

CTX700 vs CTX1300

12 years in Keller (N. of Ft. Worth) and 2 years in Austin. I'm retired but my wife got transferred to Louisville... so, here I am.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator

I'm in Huntsville (East Texas). Have a daughter in Austin so enjoy making the ride there.
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianfromlouisville View Post
My question is - would I be "disappointed" with a smaller, lighter 700cc bike after almost 5 years of 700+ lb. motorcycles?
I can tell you I'm not disappointed -- after the same amount of time on bikes of that same weight class.

It took me 3 trips to the dealer to sit on the CTX700 to adjust to its small size. It looked and felt like a tinker toy. Then I took the plunge and I bought it (no test rides allowed in these parts), and started riding. I was delighted within mere minutes. It's tremendously competent all around. Won't make your heart race like the ST1300, but you're done with riding like that anyway, right?

However, I should point out that Honda took the ST1300's power plant, re-tuned it, and dropped it into the CTX1300. So the bigger CTX has a bullet-proof motor that should be very familiar to you.

Quote:
From all the reviews, the DCT looks like one of the best ideas in motorcycling for a long time too... the thought of no more left-wrist carpal tunnel twinge is extremely appealing.
It is. I freaking love it, especially in traffic and similar tight situations. A bike you CANNOT stall? Score!!

Quote:
Me, neither. That's one reason why an 800-pound cruiser is overkill for me, and why, much as I love it, my Victory is going up for sale. The CTX700 turns out to meet my needs very well, and it's simply more FUN than a heavy cruiser.

Hope this helps!

2014 Honda CTX700ND, "Flicker"
------------------------------------------------
Former rides
Cruisers: Victory Cross Roads, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic, Suzuki Boulevard C50, Suzuki Marauder 800
Scooters: Suzuki Burgman 650, Suzuki Burgman 400, Honda Elite 80

Last edited by Woodswoman; 06-29-2014 at 10:20 PM.
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 03:13 PM

Also the CTX700 handles great and brake's are also very good.

One thing Not Mentioned.

Narrow, light, Low CG, Low seat height.

Maintenance is also a Factor, this is without a doubt one of the easiest, newer bikes to maintain, i do all my own maintenance.

No shim under bucket, YES!! Valve adjustment is easy for home mechanic DIY.
One Brake in front to Bleed, YES!!!
No sync'g multiply throttle bodies, YES!!

Last question i had to ask myself was when was the last time i needed more power than what the CTX700/NC700 platform bikes put out.

If you keep up on all maintenance on your bike it should be all you need, and last a lifetime, or at least the rest of it.

Proper air pressure in the tires every two weeks is a frequent maintenance item for me.

I would ride with a friend of mine, on his bike he would check air in tires once a riding season, at the beginning only, then wonder why his bike ran so crappy mid season, with poor performance poor brakes, and poor handling. after we started checking his tires PSI, he realized how much better it road.

Now if i can just get him to evacuate brake fluid every 2 years, naw it will never happen.

2012 NC700X, 05' Burgman 650, 5 various 99', 88', 86' 84' 83' Goldwings

Last edited by westgl; 11-02-2014 at 10:12 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CTX700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in