Mods: 12volt, Ram GPS Mount, Windshield - Honda CTX700 Forum
 7Likes
  • 4 Post By gleng
  • 3 Post By susietronti

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

Mods: 12volt, Ram GPS Mount, Windshield

Just wanted to share a few mods I did on my CTX 700. Just did a Phoenix to Orange County to San Diego and back (first ride with the bike) and made a few mods before I left. I was having a hard time figuring some things out and found this forum AFTER my ride.

12 Volt Outlet - Only thing I could find on it was the very expensive and very hard directions for the OEM outlet on the Honda website. Instead (see photo) purchase a very inexpensive but well made outlet that mounted right on the handle bars from Cycle Gear, $12 or so. Problem, had no fuse, so added one from an old battery tender wire I had. Then, paid a motorcycle repair buddy of mine to run the wire from battery up to handle bar. He pretty much had to remove 80% of the tupperware on the bike for a clean run of the wire. Really no easy way to do it.

Ram Mount - Purchased on line a mount that fits into side (not top) of brake fluid res. or Clutch handle. Only about $15 online and Ram Ball mount goes right on it. Right next to 12 Volt outlet, perfect for seeing GPS and getting power.

Windshield - Gotta say the CTX is not an easy bike to get a tall windshield for. But installed the OEM Honda Tall and the Wunderlich Extension Adjustable Screen (see photo) and works perfect and I think looks great. Totally fixed the buffeting I was getting on helmet.

Anyway, I'm not a handy guy but these little things really made the long ride a lot more fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0710.jpg (157.6 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0709.jpg (117.7 KB, 42 views)
Drplastic, LoJo, outie555 and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 06:31 AM

Interesting windshield extension but that would not work for me as it would be in my line of sight and would cause a fixation issue. Some states don't allow things like that due to windshield obstruction laws.

2014 CTX700D DCT-ABS in Candy Red

U.S. Army Retired 1978-1998
Riding since 1975
9 year member of the AMA
MSF Experienced

Former rides:
1973 Yamaha LT3 100
1982 Yamaha DT125
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1997 Suzuki Marauder
2007 Suzuki M50
2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster 1200 Low
2008 Harley-Davidson Electra Glide Standard

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" -Albert Einstein
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drplastic View Post
Interesting windshield extension but that would not work for me as it would be in my line of sight and would cause a fixation issue. Some states don't allow things like that due to windshield obstruction laws.
Yeah, I see what you're saying but I have no issue. It's a small piece of metal when you're riding. Never heard of any state having an issue with extensions on motorcycles like this but what do I know ;-). If any thing most states encourage as much windshield / eye protection as possible. I"ve checked, legal in AZ.

Thanks!

Glen

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 03:14 PM

They don't line out a windshield extensions like yours per say but they do state that solid objects (like you mount) cannot be in direct line of sight. Like GPS's and Virginia actually does not allow anything to hang from your rearview mirror but usually is not enforced unless the officer wants to be a jerk! Could be a safety thing. I would tend to fixate on it and that takes my concentration off the road!

2014 CTX700D DCT-ABS in Candy Red

U.S. Army Retired 1978-1998
Riding since 1975
9 year member of the AMA
MSF Experienced

Former rides:
1973 Yamaha LT3 100
1982 Yamaha DT125
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1997 Suzuki Marauder
2007 Suzuki M50
2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster 1200 Low
2008 Harley-Davidson Electra Glide Standard

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" -Albert Einstein
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 04:33 PM

Congrats on your new purchase and welcome to the forum. Sounds like you had a great trip.
quietguy, gleng and 350Four like this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 06:25 AM

Congratulation for your new bike and about installing the new windshield also. I must also go for windshield replacement with my bike also.

Last edited by LeeMarkus; 09-29-2019 at 06:29 AM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 11:43 AM

Welcome to the machine about the machine...

Power/lighter socket outside of glovebox and aiming up.....??? Heavy rain while in use = short circuit

You do not need to remove any tupperware if you use a plastic coated coat hanger and carefully thread

your wiring under the gas tank following existing wiring runs....

I have removed all tupperware and installed the octopus wiring harness from Honda and none of it was
"Expensive" ????

Anything else ????

My CTX So Far

This a test signiture

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CTX700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in