Bye bye CTX... Hello Goldwing DCT - Honda CTX700 Forum
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

Bye bye CTX... Hello Goldwing DCT

Finally took delivery of my new 2018 pearl brown stallion DCT goldwing. It was a leftover model from a dealer several hours away. Couldnít pass up the incredible deal. Now that Iíve got some seat time my obvservations are as follows. The seat height is a tad taller than the ctx mainly because the seat is wider. My feet still plant the ground but not as secure as the ctx. The wing is about 250 heavier. Even with the weight honestly it is so well balanced that it isnít an issue for me. All the gadgets and gizmos and technology is insane on the wing. Cornering and turns the wing takes them like being on rails. So smooth and controllable. Straight line riding the wing doesnít wander at all like my ctx would. The acceleration of the wing is insane. But at lower speeds when coming off a stop at a stop sign etc, the throttle on the wing is so sensitive that you can really get your self into trouble if your not careful. Just a slight blip and this bike lunges. Even in the lower modes like economy and rain mode when it de tunes the throttle it sill is touchy. All in all itís a dream come true bike for me. Has everything I could ever want, the price was right, and I can go anywhere no matter the distance and feel comfortable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E65C5F1A-0765-4133-BA83-DBB1216AF32C.jpg (278.9 KB, 14 views)
dgall, Ormond, Daddy Dave and 3 others like this.

2014 candy red 700D dct abs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 07:37 AM

Garage
Congratulations! There are many who say that this is the finest touring motorcycle that has ever been developed. I tend to agree. Not sure if I am going to eventually replace the VFR with this or go the other direction and go smaller. In any case, I'd love to continue to hear about your experience with the bike. Enjoy it and ride safe!
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 07:58 AM

Garage
It is a beaut, that's for sure! Be careful in getting use to it and enjoy yourself!
Troup1998 likes this.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

What turned me on the most about the new wings besides the DCT transmission is the size. Side by side to the previous generation wings the 2018+ are much smaller in size. Much narrower when you compare the fairings and the shelters of the two bikes. Itís really not a whole lot wider than the faring model of the CTX. Honda made this bike more sporty than touring. The size, looks, and styling I think they geared it forwards the younger generation of rider. With me being only 38 years old it sure caught my attention. I like the bagger look much more than the touring model with the rear trunk. My wife has no intentions of riding so it was no need to invest the extra cash on the touring model. But if down the road she does, Honda has made these new wings easily able to install the rear box as an accessory which is a nice touch. Have you ever had that feeling in an elevator when your feel weightless and your stomach hits you in the face with a touch of nausea? If so thatís the feeling I got the first time I went 3/4 throttle in the sport mode. The acceleration is so intense that the G forces had me feeling light headed.
Arrgh likes this.

post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 09:21 AM

Garage
Very nice looking bike. I've considered but I still like the size of the CTX700. BTW, do you have a wooden garage floor?

http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/hon...6/troup/670877

current ride 2016 CTX700 DCT
Cee Bailey 22" w/vent, center stand, USB adapter, LED strip lights, Saddlebags & Rack, Kuryakyn Floorboards
previous Linhai 275cc scooter
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troup1998 View Post
Very nice looking bike. I've considered but I still like the size of the CTX700. BTW, do you have a wooden garage floor?

12x24 utility shed with double doors on the end with ramp. Keep the bikes in there during the winter and under my open garage in the warmer months with a cover Over them
Troup1998 likes this.

post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 11:30 AM

Congratulations. That is one sweet ride.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. (Mark Twain)

2014 CTX700e, 6 speed, white

Corbin low
Cee Bailey 23 w/vent
Shad SH36's
Shad SH50 trunk
Oxford heated grips
Kuryakyn 4357 foot board and 8815 splines
Denali DM Micro LED driving lights
Tutoro Auto oiler
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 11:07 PM

If I wasn't built like a cross between Yoda, Papa Smurf, and a Keebler elf, I'd go for one myself.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

If anyone has ever seen the CTX1300 bike, the new wing is about the same size and weight of that bike.

post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 12:35 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
850lbs, 350lbs heavier than the CTX700.

Beautiful bike, but very expensive and very bad fuel economy. A whopping 35mpg on a 20k bike~

Congrats on the beast.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CTX700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in