7Likes
  • 2 Post By Evangelos k
  • 3 Post By Athena
  • 1 Post By Evangelos k
  • 1 Post By The_Bachelor

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Sold one for Honda

Went to the dealer today with a friend, who is very new to motorcycling, and after I convinced him that cruisers are not “his thing” and that the right bike for him would be a standard lightweight naked... he saw the light. He is not comfortable yet on a bike, and he had bought a 98 shadow 750 and a 13 Triumph America. Sold the America to his brother. Not the right type of bike for someone new who is not comfortable riding. The shadow was a little better.

Anyway, I’m all for test riding different bikes. So he and I test rode a used 18 CB650F with 2300miles. He had ridden my Street Triple in the neighborhood before, and that was when it clicked for him how much better and nimble these bikes are. Long story short, the CB650F is a very nice bike. Tame enough down low for him, a good screamer with top end at 11K RPMs for fun. Finally it made its way to the US from Europe, and it is one of the few non “yawn” Honda US models. Dual disk setup, 89HP, great sitting position, 450lbs, good handling and nimbleness, 4 cylinder is a breath of fresh air in this vastly ruled 2 cylinder category of Ninjas and FZ-07 and CB500’s and SV’s.

Put my new Ridgeline to work, bringing it home since the weather sucked.

-2013 Triumph Street Triple R
-2018 Triumph Tiger XRx
-2019 Kawasaki Z900RS Cafe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 01:26 PM

Garage
Of course the seat height of 31.9 leaves a lot of riders out of the equation. https://www.cycleworld.com/2018-honda-cb650f-review/ Seems to be a lot a bike for a new rider.

CTX 700ND
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
Of course the seat height of 31.9 leaves a lot of riders out of the equation. https://www.cycleworld.com/2018-honda-cb650f-review/ Seems to be a lot a bike for a new rider.
Perfect bike for a new rider, who dove into long wheelbase, 560 lbs, feet forward cruisers as a 1st bike, with lacking brakes. He rides in a walking pace, and those heavy bikes where an issue for him.

There is not too much power. To me, I won’t accept someone cannot control his wrist. However, THERE IS too much bike size wise, and you cannot control that.
The_Bachelor likes this.

-2013 Triumph Street Triple R
-2018 Triumph Tiger XRx
-2019 Kawasaki Z900RS Cafe

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 11:28 PM

Garage
I've never been a proponent of larger CC bikes for new riders just seen to many people get hurt. That being said this bike has alot of merrit. The relatively small 4 cylinder needs to spool up to really generate power, so early on if he has the discipline to keep off the throttle and short shift a bit, the bike will have plenty of room to grow into. If he goes straight hooligan well........
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 09:06 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelos k View Post
There is not too much power. To me, I won’t accept someone cannot control his wrist. However, THERE IS too much bike size wise, and you cannot control that.
Funny story EK..... My wife was following me back on my CBR300R... I decided to leave her in the wind, so at a stop sign. I took off turning left with my right wrist buried. I never thought a 300 would get the front wheel off the ground through the gears, but it did just enough to give er a nice little head shake......and calm that right wrist right on down...... (...for the record.... my wife was not impressed.......)
Evangelos k likes this.

Brad Bachelor
"Marrying an old bachelor is like buying second-hand furniture." - Helen Rowland

Current: 2018 CBR300

Former Rides: 1971 Honda CT90, 1973 Honda CB175, 1978 Yamaha XS650, 1981 Honda CM200T, 1983 Yamaha XJ650 Turbo,1983 Honda VF750S, 1985 Kawasaki GPZ550, 1989 CBR600F1, 2006 Yamaha TW200, 2006 Suzuki GZ250, 2014 Honda CTX700N
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 05:39 PM

My brother had a 1980 RD400 Daytona Special, hit 4000 it started to wake up, at 6000 the front end was coming up and stayed up through the gears if you really wanted to. Some small bikes are small, but not all of them!
Pierre

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/1...-rd400f-roots/

Quality tools wear out, cheap tools break. No exceptions

2017 CTX700T Canadian version manual shift with ABS in Red

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CTX700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in