jfc - Honda CTX700 Forum
 116Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

jfc

I was finally able to talk to John for about a half hour this afternoon.

John is having some very serious health issues, and will neither be able to ride again, or to participate in the forum again, at least in the position of moderator. He did want me to let members know that he has instructed his daughter to issue refunds to the members who have ordered brackets from him. At his request, I'm not going to go into the particulars of his health, but I do want to let you know that he is getting a lot of very advanced treatments, and his care providers have a positive outlook. Even so, I ask you to keep him in your prayers, as he certainly will be in mine.

We talked about the brackets, and I got his permission to seek another supplier. The current fabricator only wanted to do business with John. There is an issue with the fact that the fabricator obtained a design copyright, so some modifications may be needed to avoid any legal problems. I will try to keep them as close to John's original design as possible. This will take a little time to get going, so I'm not sure I can deliver a product to those who were expecting them in short order. Please PM me and we can discuss off the board.

I've notified the other moderator, Rebel13, and the Forum Administrator. They already have their hands very full taking care of this site. As I previously stated on another thread, there is an immense amount of highly technical work that goes on behind the scenes and we are privileged to have a couple people who work so hard to take care of it.

I'll keep the Forum informed of any changes to John's situation. Please pray, he really needs it.

All the best,

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 06:58 PM

Garage
Thanks for the update, Dave.
Daddy Dave likes this.

2015 CTX700DF in Gray Blue Metallic
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 07:07 PM

Thanks for the update and prayers going out to John and his family and friends
Daddy Dave likes this.

2015 silver 700n dct abs
Kuryakyn boards
Mutazu bags
Clear lens
Led headlight
Led spot lights
Madstad kick pad
Grab grips
Fiamm horn

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 07:19 PM

I've already been praying for John since his absence was very telling to me -- and will continue to do so.
Daddy Dave and dbmachine like this.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 08:24 PM

Garage
Thank you, Dave, for the info and for what is clearly your loving concern for a friend. I believe everyone who has been on here for any length of time, shares a deep concern along with our Best Hopes & Wishes for John.
Also, thank you on behalf of our members for your effort to assist regarding John's "trademark" saddlebag brackets which many have benefited by.
God Speed your recovery, John...we all are connected.

Thanx, also to Rebel13 & our Administrator.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 09:25 PM

Garage
Thanks for your efforts Dave and I wish John all the best in his recovery. If it helps, I have custom made brackets. I made a pattern out of thin aluminum roof flashing and took it to a local metal supplier and asked if they knew anyone who could cut and bend 3/16 steel to reproduce the pattern. They directed me to a business that does architectural steel fabrication. The guy initially was not interested because they were so busy with other money making projects until I explained my issues with my left arm and how I had to ride an automatic bike that they dont make any accessories like saddle bag brackets for. I think showing him the bike and never discussing how much they would cost bought me some good will.

These are very simple and basic to make as you can see from the pictures and were perfectly sheared and bent exactly like my pattern. I asked him at the time if he was interested in making more of them and he said NO!!! I think he did them after hours when he had time just to help me out. I asked how much he wanted for them after they were finished and he said $40.00 so I gave him $60.00 for his effort. It took some work to align and drill the holes, prep and paint them.

In the United States, a design patent is a form of legal protection granted to the ornamental design of a functional item. Put four holes in it instead of one in the center and ornamentally it looks different than Johns in my opinion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bracket.jpg (130.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg bracket1.JPG (116.9 KB, 12 views)
BobWitte and Daddy Dave like this.

2014 CTX700ND
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 10:39 PM

Thanks for the info Dave.

John:

My best wishes and thoughts for you and your family for the best possible outcome.

While it is probably the last thing on your mind right now, I hope you are able to at least check in with us here in the near future.
Daddy Dave likes this.

Tony

2014 CTX 700N DCT

Kuryakyn Floorboards - Centerstand - Gonzo Shock Mod -Freeway Blaster Horns - Elcheapo Handguards - Madstad kickstand shoe - Madstad 22" Windshield - BrakeAway Cruise Control - Brake light flasher - Throttle Tamer - Oxford Heaterz - Riderscan Mirror - JFC Brackets - Michelin Road 5
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 11:13 PM

Prayers out to JFC. When I decided to get rid of my 2014 CTX 1300D for a CTX 700 fairing and DCT I came here looking for advice. John had some great info for me. After getting my brackets from him. I then decided to basically copy his CTX. I put on the Bestem 2012's for side bags and the 920 for the top box. Hooked up all the lights and away I went. Much respect to John for the help he provides on the forum. Get better soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170928_165347.jpg (272.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20170928_165305.jpg (287.5 KB, 7 views)
Daddy Dave and david1954 like this.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 11:36 PM

Garage
Thank you DD. I have only been on here a short time, but I have read dozens of JFCs very informative posts. Hope and pray that the treatments are effective.

JW
Daddy Dave, david1954 and VShep like this.

Jimmy W

2014 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS
2019 BMW C400X

Madstad kickstand shoe Webike Centerstand Givi E460N Top case FIAMM Low Note Freeway Blaster Kuryakyn 4357 Floorboards w/8863 adapters Two Brothers Racing slip-on exhaust...so far
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 01:26 AM

Im very sorry to hear. Pls. Let him know I do wish him the best.

-2013 Triumph Street Triple R
-2018 Triumph Tiger XRx
-2019 Kawasaki Z900RS Cafe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CTX700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in