Being Careful - Page 2 - Honda CTX700 Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 03:27 PM

Yes, I too would like more details. I am assuming this driver should not have been driving a commercial truck with a couple of DUIs. New Hampshire is one of 3 states with NO helmet law whatsoever (so google tells me). I would like to know how many of these riders were wearing helmets? I figure the only way one pickup with trailer can take out 7 people at once is if they were riding too close together. Not saying it was not their fault at all just that you have to be extra careful when riding in groups just because of this. Space out, use a staggered formation, etc. I cringe when I see other riders riding side by side in the same lane. Heck, POLICE do this ALL THE TIME! Bad example for the rest of us. Very sad.
explorecaves likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawatwo View Post
Yes, I too would like more details. I am assuming this driver should not have been driving a commercial truck with a couple of DUIs. New Hampshire is one of 3 states with NO helmet law whatsoever (so google tells me). I would like to know how many of these riders were wearing helmets? I figure the only way one pickup with trailer can take out 7 people at once is if they were riding too close together. Not saying it was not their fault at all just that you have to be extra careful when riding in groups just because of this. Space out, use a staggered formation, etc. I cringe when I see other riders riding side by side in the same lane. Heck, POLICE do this ALL THE TIME! Bad example for the rest of us. Very sad.
I would think that they were pulled up close in readiness to pull off or coming up to a stop light/sign. Otherwise, you are right, good group riding observes the 2 second rule normally.
Daddy Dave likes this.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob witte View Post
I would think that they were pulled up close in readiness to pull off or coming up to a stop light/sign. Otherwise, you are right, good group riding observes the 2 second rule normally.
Could have been like Bob says. They were about 500' from the Hotel that they were staying at.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy Dave View Post
Could have been like Bob says. They were about 500' from the Hotel that they were staying at.
That would make more sense. If they were just coming to a stop or slowing down to turn in to the hotel that would bunch up any group. Dang. Hard to account for idiots We all just do our best an hope for the best I guess.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 08:26 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSollyLama View Post
This was up north in NH, closer to the Canadian border than Concord.

Apparently the truck driver was 23, and had a DUI in 2013. Meaning he barely had a license before getting a drunk driving charge. He had another just this year.
Whether that was a factor in this crash is unknown so far (according to the local paper this morning). He has been charged with 7 counts of Negligent Homicide as well as many other charges for the 3 injured riders.

His original story was that his tires dropped off the road surface and when he over-corrected the trailer pushed his truck over the yellow lines. Again, how true that is remains to be seen.

A tragic loss perpetrated by someone that had zero business even having a driver's license. In my opinion it just proves that traffic laws exist more to generate revenue in the court system than for the protection of the public. This guy has been driving for less than a decade and has 2 drunk driving charges and now murdered 7 people, possibly crippling 3 more. But he paid a bunch of money in fines-- and that is is enough for the gov't to let him keep driving.
Ontario has a graduated licensing system, so that it now takes a couple of years to get a full license, be it for a car or a motorcycle. While it likely wouldn't have addressed this situation, I think it has good merit and should be expanded. From the sounds of things, the truck driver should not have been driving for many reasons.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawatwo View Post

Connecticut notified Massachusetts that this driver failed a DUI test.
MA did nothing about it. Head of MA RMV resigned yesterday over his departments failure to pull this guys license.
As far as wearing helmets or not, if you are hit head on by a truck pulling a car trailer, a helmet will NOT help. You will have a crumpled body. I will not ride without a helmet, but if a person wants to, that is their choice. This is still America, or is it?
bob witte, explorecaves and Yupo like this.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Update, and more info on the driver in this horrific collision. This young man had NO business being on the road.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CTX700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in