• 1 Post By hondabum
  • 1 Post By dgall
  • 1 Post By hondabum
  • 1 Post By komiller
  • 1 Post By Evangelos k

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 02:02 AM Thread Starter

ECM Reflash

Anyone ever do an ECM reflash? Is it possible? Any benefits?
Ruby likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 03:13 PM

not a bad idea
probably not necessary
the dealer can do it easily
takes 20 min. or so
Ruby likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 09:00 PM

Garage
I believe the ECM and PCM are the same thing and is called the “PGM-FI UNIT” on the parts diagrams to make it more confusing. Similar to a re-flash, there are some posts on the NC700 forum of people resetting the PCM on their DCT equipped bikes using the “clutch initialize learning” process and claim their bike shifted smoother afterward. I have been tempted to try it myself out of curiosity but you know what killed the cat or in this case, curiosity bricked the PCM. If you do have a shop flash the ECM/PCM I would make sure its clear on paper that if for any reason it doesn’t take and they cant restore it to its previous condition they are responsible for the cost to replace it.

What’s also interesting is that nowhere in the service manual does it mention, recommend or explain how to flash the ECM/ PCM that I can find? I would think it is possible to do with the correct tool and software.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/12...age=321#manual
Ruby likes this.

2014 CTX700ND

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 08:59 AM

I do not know of any bike that has re-flash instructions in their service manual. It'd be interesting to learn of some.
Not sure what "tool" would be needed other than the correct plug for attaching to the harness.
The software for dealing with the bike's ECU is most likely proprietary to Honda. I know it is for Triumph and BMW.
You cannot run to the store and purchase the software.
There have been some home remedies for resetting on other bikes as mentioned for the NC700. There is a procedure used on BMW R1200Cs as well. Worth a try? Maybe? Does it work? Depends on who you believe.
A trip to the dealer is your best bet. First make sure he understands what you want. Can't imagine a charge of more than an hour labor. It will take less time than that.
Ruby likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

reflash the ECM

Thanks for the responses. I was curious because my neighbor pulled the ECM from his Yamaha and sent it cross country to a shop in Georgia where he had it reflashed. I think it cost something like $200. He had to provide info about exhaust system (i.e stock or other), etc and it was customized to his equipment and riding. He said it immediately smoothed out his bike and enhanced its performance. He said one of the differences was that when he came off the throttle previously the injectors immediately cut off and stopped flow of gasoline. Now they modulate giving the bike better overall response in all gears. Apparently bikes are typically "de-tuned" a bit initially at the factory/dealer. Reflashing optimizes performances. My neighbor is a bit of a gear head so he knows of what he speaks. (He had his diesel truck ECM refreshed and stripped off the emissions equipment to improve performance and eliminate the DEF system). I was not sure if reflashing the ECM would have any benefit for the CTX.

My general philosophy is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I''l just leave it be unless someone can give a compelling reason to do otherwise.
Ruby likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 04:49 PM

I very highly doubt anyone has or will make a reflash for the CTX. LOL
Ruby likes this.

-2013 Triumph Street Triple R
-2017 Honda CBR1000RR
-2018 Triumph Tiger XRx
-2019 Kawasaki Z900RS Cafe
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondabum View Post
I know it is for Triumph and BMW.
You cannot run to the store and purchase the software.
You actually can. Several - up to 16’ and earlier models now- Triumphs you can “run to the online store” and buy TuneECU

And for the big 4, WOOLICH is a big name with flash options for almost all popular Japanese bikes.

-2013 Triumph Street Triple R
-2017 Honda CBR1000RR
-2018 Triumph Tiger XRx
-2019 Kawasaki Z900RS Cafe
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelos k View Post
You actually can. Several - up to 16’ and earlier models now- Triumphs you can “run to the online store” and buy TuneECU

And for the big 4, WOOLICH is a big name with flash options for almost all popular Japanese bikes.
Was very familiar with TuneECU when I had my Triumph. It supplements (actually replaces) the ecu tune and changes it to what you want for your bike.
It does not, however, reflash the factory ecu.
Reflash being a reset to original spec.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CTX700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in