Rear suspension - Honda CTX700 Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Rear suspension

I have my rear suspension maxed out. Is there a coil aftermarket that can help me out? Give my fat ass more give.
Ruby likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 08:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Rod Pinky View Post
I have my rear suspension maxed out. Is there a coil aftermarket that can help me out? Give my fat ass more give.
You can get yourself a couple more inches of throw by doing the NC750x swap out that only costs about C-note. Check my write up linked in my signature for details. I'm a petite huge 255# bundle of joy and I'm quite pleased with the results.
Ruby likes this.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 11:14 PM
TIP

Just thought I would throw this in for the guys who are not quite as portly. I did the suspension over this winter by putting the 4 machine washers in the suspension. Rode it about 4000 kilometers and was happy with it. Didn't bottom out any more on big bumps. I got to thinking if I could improve on that so with nothing better to do one rainy day, I pulled the suspension and removed 1 washer on the top and 1 on the bottom. I left the locking washers the same place they were,at about 6 thread down from the top. It is far better now. It rides much softer on the normal pitches on the pavement but still is solid enough to not bottom out. I weigh about 170 and my ride is nearly perfect.
BobWitte and Ruby like this.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 01:13 AM

Pinky:

Your options are:

1. Modify the stock shock. See my signature for "Spaced rear shock". This is the cheapest, and does a reasonable job. I used a plastic spacer to preload the spring more, but others (like TIP) have used steel washers.
2. Use a NC shock as Bob suggests. I haven't done this, and I don't know of anyone who has done it on a non-trike.
3. Buy an after-market shock. I bought a Matris (see my signature again) and it works very well, but it cost a lot. Others have used Ohlins, etc.

Gonzo
Bleys, Ruby and david1954 like this.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 12:15 PM

I decided to get rid of the OEM version and ordered a new one from Wilbers. The model is 641, rather expensive, but I have some old photo gear to sell and I try to get funds by selling it at eBay. I'll report more after I have got it. The price was 600 euroa, including delivery costs.
Ruby likes this.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 12:33 PM

Forget to mention that Wilbers makes 3 types for CTX700: without rebound adjust 300 euros, with rebound adjust 430 euros and with separate reservoir 620 euros, all including posting costs and individual settings made by Wilbers.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurimy View Post
Forget to mention that Wilbers makes 3 types for CTX700: without rebound adjust 300 euros, with rebound adjust 430 euros and with separate reservoir 620 euros, all including posting costs and individual settings made by Wilbers.
congratulations! wilbers is a great brand!
Ruby likes this.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diama View Post
congratulations! wilbers is a great brand!
Thanks. I have now a long waiting, it takes over a month to have it in my hands, because all orders are delivered straight from the manufacturer with individual settings. I wonder why eBay didn't give hits to USA. It is pity if Wilbers are not available in USA, because Wilbers is priced very close YSS and would be a good alternative. I don't know are they equal to Ohlins, but individial settings make a huge advantage.
Ruby likes this.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 01:18 PM

surely you will be happy with this shock absorber! however ohlins and wilbers are the same!
Ruby likes this.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurimy View Post
Thanks. I have now a long waiting, it takes over a month to have it in my hands, because all orders are delivered straight from the manufacturer with individual settings. I wonder why eBay didn't give hits to USA. It is pity if Wilbers are not available in USA, because Wilbers is priced very close YSS and would be a good alternative. I don't know are they equal to Ohlins, but individial settings make a huge advantage.
Where did you order it? www.wilbers-shop.de says that they will deliver it in two weeks.
Ruby likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CTX700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in