Honda CTX700 Forum

Honda CTX700 Forum (https://www.ctx700forum.com/forum/)
-   Engine and Powertrain Discussion (https://www.ctx700forum.com/forum/engine-powertrain-discussion/)
-   -   Rear suspension (https://www.ctx700forum.com/forum/engine-powertrain-discussion/79225-rear-suspension.html)

J Rod Pinky 07-10-2019 07:06 PM

Rear suspension

I have my rear suspension maxed out. Is there a coil aftermarket that can help me out? Give my fat ass more give.

BobWitte 07-10-2019 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Rod Pinky (Post 924297)
I have my rear suspension maxed out. Is there a coil aftermarket that can help me out? Give my fat ass more give.

You can get yourself a couple more inches of throw by doing the NC750x swap out that only costs about C-note. Check my write up linked in my signature for details. I'm a petite huge 255# bundle of joy and I'm quite pleased with the results.
:)

TIP 07-10-2019 11:14 PM

Just thought I would throw this in for the guys who are not quite as portly. I did the suspension over this winter by putting the 4 machine washers in the suspension. Rode it about 4000 kilometers and was happy with it. Didn't bottom out any more on big bumps. I got to thinking if I could improve on that so with nothing better to do one rainy day, I pulled the suspension and removed 1 washer on the top and 1 on the bottom. I left the locking washers the same place they were,at about 6 thread down from the top. It is far better now. It rides much softer on the normal pitches on the pavement but still is solid enough to not bottom out. I weigh about 170 and my ride is nearly perfect.

GonzoB 07-11-2019 01:13 AM

Pinky:

Your options are:

1. Modify the stock shock. See my signature for "Spaced rear shock". This is the cheapest, and does a reasonable job. I used a plastic spacer to preload the spring more, but others (like TIP) have used steel washers.
2. Use a NC shock as Bob suggests. I haven't done this, and I don't know of anyone who has done it on a non-trike.
3. Buy an after-market shock. I bought a Matris (see my signature again) and it works very well, but it cost a lot. Others have used Ohlins, etc.

Gonzo

maurimy 07-11-2019 12:15 PM

I decided to get rid of the OEM version and ordered a new one from Wilbers. The model is 641, rather expensive, but I have some old photo gear to sell and I try to get funds by selling it at eBay. I'll report more after I have got it. The price was 600 euroa, including delivery costs.

maurimy 07-11-2019 12:33 PM

Forget to mention that Wilbers makes 3 types for CTX700: without rebound adjust 300 euros, with rebound adjust 430 euros and with separate reservoir 620 euros, all including posting costs and individual settings made by Wilbers.

Diama 07-13-2019 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maurimy (Post 924379)
Forget to mention that Wilbers makes 3 types for CTX700: without rebound adjust 300 euros, with rebound adjust 430 euros and with separate reservoir 620 euros, all including posting costs and individual settings made by Wilbers.

congratulations! wilbers is a great brand!

maurimy 07-14-2019 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diama (Post 924601)
congratulations! wilbers is a great brand!

Thanks. I have now a long waiting, it takes over a month to have it in my hands, because all orders are delivered straight from the manufacturer with individual settings. I wonder why eBay didn't give hits to USA. It is pity if Wilbers are not available in USA, because Wilbers is priced very close YSS and would be a good alternative. I don't know are they equal to Ohlins, but individial settings make a huge advantage.

Diama 07-14-2019 01:18 PM

surely you will be happy with this shock absorber! however ohlins and wilbers are the same!

HarriR 07-14-2019 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maurimy (Post 924633)
Thanks. I have now a long waiting, it takes over a month to have it in my hands, because all orders are delivered straight from the manufacturer with individual settings. I wonder why eBay didn't give hits to USA. It is pity if Wilbers are not available in USA, because Wilbers is priced very close YSS and would be a good alternative. I don't know are they equal to Ohlins, but individial settings make a huge advantage.

Where did you order it? www.wilbers-shop.de says that they will deliver it in two weeks.