CTX 700 Forum banner

Is 670cc engine big enough for long hwy trips?

26K views 77 replies 47 participants last post by  Keco 
#1 ·
I just got my CTX700 fairing model with automatic.

I hope to go on some long rides with this thing but I am curious if the engine on this is suitable for long highway trips.

Is there some rule of thumb used when considering a bike for long highway trips? Obviously a 1200cc engine would be better, but all I've got is my CTX700.

Will it be too much for this engine?

Thanks

#35 ·
I ride mine up and down the freeway love it.

Long distance I would say get a new seat! But it can make it. One of the biggest things is new tires! and some extra cash for a blow out or bubble in tire. On one of my "tours" I went coast to coast and back. I changed my oils and always checked it once a day.

Have fun!

#37 ·
400 miles this weekend....no problems with power D on the highway, S in town, also I now have absolute comfort in changing to the “high” Corbin seat and the larger floorboards....I can do 5 hours in the seat no problem now. I really didn’t think I was being jammed up against the tank with the stock seat until I got the Corbin and boards, I was......

#39 ·
Completed the Iron Butt challenge by completing 1,024 miles in less than 24 hours (17.5 hours). CTX did well with wind, mountains, luggage, desert straights, passing semi trucks on two-lane highways, and ~180 miles per tank. If the rider is up for it, this bike will perform.

#40 ·
Holly crap, it almost takes me that time to drive a car 1200mi to NY... actually 22hrs, including stops and food. No way I would drive a straight shot on a bike. :eek:

#42 ·
I cant see myself doing the Iron Butt Challenge at my age but the CTX is perfectly capable of doing it and more than a few of our members have successfully completed it while riding it. The faired version with good seat and windshield plus an iron butt and plenty of determination is really all you need.

#45 ·
you could have done better on a bicycle versus a 50cc bike. :p

#53 ·
I find the lower highway/cruising RPM's of the CTX to be delightful, that coming from riding old CX500's and a 100 HP Kawi ZZR600. I prefer back road riding but have been on many 80-85 MPH interstate stints on the CTX with no complaints. As someone else mentioned, at the time I started riding a 700 was a big bike. The CTX engine makes about 50 HP. What did Harley's stock Twin-Cam engine make? I think around 68 HP, but that bolted on 700-800+ lb. bikes?

#62 ·
Agreed I have the manual version of the CTX700. I typically ride at 705-720 lbs of gear (the bike, bike accessories, work stuff and me). The bike comfortably keeps up with traffic at 65mph-85 mph interstate speeds I drive. I do notice if I try to push it further it is pretty anemic going up a hill. That said the fastest I dared to travel on the bike was while driving up a hill @ 92mph. However, I am pretty confident on level ground given the altitude I typically ride at the bike is capable of well over a 100mph if I full tuck. More so, if I get rid of the extra weight / drag of the luggage racks and top box.

#54 · (Edited)
Yesterday I put my CTX to the test. I hit the road in at 3:37am and rode from Lancaster PA to Salt Lick Kentucky, had some good southern style BBQ, and then headed back to Lancaster for a total of over 1050 miles. Temperatures were everywhere from mid-50s to a high of over 90. The CTX ran like a dream the whole way, usually between 70 and 80 mph. She never had trouble with the WV mountains. The only thing I noticed is a significant decrease in fuel economy at 80mph, but that's true of any bike. I'd venture that the CTX is capable of more distance than any of us are.

#55 ·
Yesterday I put my CTX to the test. I hit the road in at 3:37am and rode from Lancaster PA to Salt Lick Kentucky, had some good southern style BBQ, and then headed back to Lancaster for a total of over 1050 miles. Temperatures were everywhere from mid-50s to a high of over 90. The CTX ran like a dream the whole way, usually between 70 and 80 miles. She never had trouble with the WV mountains. The only thing I noticed is a significant decrease in fuel economy at 80mph, but that's true of any bike. I'd venture that the CTX is capable of more distance than any of us are.
That was one expensive BBQ!

#57 ·
Mine feels good and has plenty of power up to about 72mph past that the bike doesn't seem big enough and lacks acceleration so I avoid the interstates, keep in mind most of my riding is done from 6,000 to 8500 elevation which will put additional strain on any internal combustion engine.

I'm patiently waiting for that 1300ctx dct rumored to debut in 2019.

#65 ·
Ok, so several years ago I rode from Portland, OR to Bend, OR and back on my Shadow VLX. Small saddle bags and tank. So I had to watch for petrol stations (at least plan ahead). Over three years ago, I sold my Shadow for my CTX. Then two years ago I took it to Victoria from Portland. Riding was great except my back hurt like h-e-double tooth picks. Lots of stopping just to rest me bums and back. Then last year, I rode to Klamath Falls and back. Same butt story. Then I upgraded the stock seat for a Seth Laam seat and two month later went to Whistler and Victoria. Being a lighter bike makes for a more enjoyable ride. The seat upgrade was heaven sent. Less stops. So yes, the CTX700 is rode worth. Next trip (in 2020), is to Calgary.

#66 ·
This bike is GREAT for long rides.
Look at the post i just made today.
I have mine outfitted for the highway.
My wife and i love this thing.
I've been riding for over 40 years, my biggest bike was a Kawasaki Nomad.
But this CTX will do anything i ask.
My first cross country ride, 2500 miles round trip in 8 days, was on a Honda GL500 Silverwing Interstate in 1986. That was a 500cc engine and it did wonderfully.
Don't be afraid of the CTX. you won't over tax the engine.
Just take it even and smooth and
enjoy smelling the roses along the way.

#69 ·
I think anything 500cc and over is plenty fine for long highway trips provided:

- You have 6 gears. 5 gears are enough, but without that true OD, I know that my Iron will be a pain when I do decide to take her long distances.

- Proper seating. I don't think anyone who's ever taken a long trip hasn't either swapped out the stock seat or complained about the stock seat afterwards, regardless of make/model. HDs are notorious for this. My seat LOOKS phenomenal. I wouldn't trust it for more than 80-100 miles without a serious break.

- Fairing/windshield. Even on my short jaunt on the highway and across the bridge the other day (which is over Lake Ontario) at 55MPH, I had to hunker down in order to not feel like Mike Tyson was kickin' my butt. Either I stick to all local roads, or a windshield will be needed.

- Large enough tank or MPG rating. My tank is 3.3 gallons. Even at 50 MPG (which I doubt I'll get on an HD), I'm going to start getting nervous around mile 100. Getting stranded is no joke. Never happened to me via bike (car, yes), and I refuse to let it.

Just think of it like this - people have been riding motorcycles long distances for the better part of more than a half-century; and they aren't as powerful, fuel efficient, or well made as they are now. Personally, I'd hate to be riding long distance on a temperamental carb-equipped bike right now, regardless of how much power it had.

#70 ·
Dynoing this bike is a waste of a perfectly good dyno and gas.

Anyhoo it's not the engine, it's how comfortable are you with the idea of sitting in that saddle for 8 hours or more? How comfortable are you with having to stop and refuel every 130 miles or less?
(you could go further between stops but the odds of you missing a fuel stop go up exponentially, this bike realistically has a range of 145 miles before reserve.)

Reactions: SteelSteed
#77 ·
This is exactly my experience with the CTX. I'd love to see exactly how far I can go once the red bar starts flashing. I need to strap on a gas can and run her dry some day. The red bar starts almost exactly at 160 miles.

#72 · (Edited)
I don't live in flat country so your experiences may vary but a 145 is a reliable number and time tested over 50k miles in many states of the PNW.

The bike I sold it for was easily reaching 260+ before reserve when touring.

Reactions: Keco
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.