post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

On The Drag Strip???

Check out this video at about 2:30 -
https://youtu.be/3XJ-smUFfAQ
Ruby and PilotBiker like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 05:46 PM

I'm confused. They kept calling it VTwin racing, but the CTX isn't a V. In any case, I can honestly say I never imagined the CTX as a drag bike.
Ruby likes this.

Current Ride: 2014 CTX700 "Vivian"
Past Rides: 2003 Shadow Spirit 750 "Annie" (Sold)
1976 Kawasaki KH400 2-stroke triple "(inappropriate for young readers)" (Sold and wish I hadn't)
1975 Kawasaki KZ400 (Crashed)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
People can race anything. Notice the long head start for the slow ctx? Bracket racing blows~
BobWitte, Ruby and Daddy Dave like this.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel13 View Post
People can race anything. Notice the long head start for the slow ctx? Bracket racing blows~
Bracket racing is closer to a video game than an actual race. Sort of like golfing with a handicap. About all it proves is who has better reaction times, nd who can play the game and not break out at the top end. Real racers don’t use computer controlled stutter boxes,
Rebel13, BobWitte, Ruby and 1 others like this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy Dave View Post
Bracket racing is closer to a video game than an actual race. Sort of like golfing with a handicap. About all it proves is who has better reaction times, nd who can play the game and not break out at the top end. Real racers donít use computer controlled stutter boxes,
Race the clock or race the man? I choose the man! Otherwise there is absolutely no need for a second or more lanes or other racers....or even a track really.
Ruby likes this.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 07:04 AM

Garage
Most people I know that race; Bracket Race. I really care for it myself, but to each his own. The people I know that race probably could not afford to go "full bore" racing.
Ruby likes this.

Ride it if you can, mod it if you can't!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 08:50 AM

I’m completely unfamiliar with the rules or types of drag racing, but if you race the person, and cross the line 1st, wouldn’t you be faster on the clock too?
Ruby likes this.

-2013 Triumph Street Triple R
-2018 Triumph Tiger XRx
-2019 Kawasaki Z900RS Cafe
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelos k View Post
I’m completely unfamiliar with the rules or types of drag racing, but if you race the person, and cross the line 1st, wouldn’t you be faster on the clock too?
Bracket racers pick a time bracket that they think their car will be competitive in. Maybe you have a fast car, so you compete in the 7 second bracket, and somebody else has a slower car, so they compete in the 14 second bracket. The other car gets to leave 7 seconds before you do, and then you have to try and beat him to the finish line.

Now, to answer your question...
Not necessarily. If you cut a "Good Light", and get off the line faster than the guy in the next lane, with everything else equal, you'd be the first to the top end lights. He could have slower reaction time, and not accelerate when the light turns green, as quick as you, but his car may be faster, so although you get to the finish line first, his elapsed time (from the time he crossed the starting line to the time he crossed the finish line, might be less. Also, in bracket racing, you select a specific bracket (E.T.) that you can not exceed. Let's say that you are in the 10 second bracket, but you actually cross the finish line in 9.90, you have "Broken out", so you lose, even if the other guy is slower. Some drivers, use computerized ignition cut outs called stutter boxes, that recognize your bracket and if you're going too fast they interrupt the ignition circuits to slow you down. In the early days of bracket racing, it wasn't unusual to see drivers actually touching the brakes to slow down, but that was deemed "Illegal", so they had to resort to other devices.

I never bracket raced. I only competed in "Heads up" racing. That's where you both leave the starting line at the same time and the winner is the guy who crosses the finish line first. We ran in classes determined by dividing the weight of the car, by the cubic inches. There were other class qualifications but that's a lot to get into here.
Evangelos k and Ruby like this.

Last edited by Daddy Dave; 09-15-2019 at 01:14 AM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel13 View Post
Race the clock or race the man? I choose the man! Otherwise there is absolutely no need for a second or more lanes or other racers....or even a track really.
That goes back to the origins of Drag Racing. Line up at a red light, and when it turns green you dump the clutch. First one to the next intersection is the winner. Didn't matter if you had a '55 Chev with a 265, a Pontiac Bonneville with a 389. or a Deuce coupe with a blown flathead. It was "Run what you brung".
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy Dave View Post
That goes back to the origins of Drag Racing. Line up at a red light, and when it turns green you dump the clutch. First one to the next intersection is the winner. Didn't matter if you had a '55 Chev with a 265, a Pontiac Bonneville with a 389. or a Deuce coupe with a blown flathead. It was "Run what you brung".
That's real drag racing!

The only purpose for bracket reason is simply track and general racing consolidation. When races and vehicles can be tweaked to a thousandth of a second, the void between one another can be huge! Therefore bracket is set up to allow some or any time range to race one another. The stupid thing that you see is that there are head starts like shown in this video, slow starts then run hard or run hard and than cut off. That is not racing one another at all, it is ALL about time. The same can be accomplished with one or a thousand lanes, it makes absolutely no difference. If you run 12's, you shouldn't be running with 9's, that is just common sense! Watching bracket is the dumbest thing there is.

Daddy Dave likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CTX700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in