CTX700 touring capabilities - Honda CTX700 Forum
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

CTX700 touring capabilities

I did a search and read lots of postings but didn't find a definitive answer. My CTX is the six speed and with me and my gear weighing 210-220 pounds, can the CTX handle a 75-80 mph cross country run? I have bigger touring bikes, but thought it might be fun to ride a smaller bike.
kujawskir likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 01:34 PM

Garage
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timan View Post
I did a search and read lots of postings but didn't find a definitive answer. My CTX is the six speed and with me and my gear weighing 210-220 pounds, can the CTX handle a 75-80 mph cross country run? I have bigger touring bikes, but thought it might be fun to ride a smaller bike.
My total load is 40lbs more to begin with and my CTX trike is hauling a two wheel rear axle arrangement on top, and I have no trouble running my age (75+). Although I don't take any long trips (the longest being 150+), I wouldn't hesitate in adding another zero to that, especially with my Russell Daylong seat in place!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timan View Post
The answer is a definite 'YES'. In the spring of 2017 I took a 44 day, 9400 mile cross country jaunt on my 2014 6 speed. At the time, I weighed in at 215. Add another 20 pounds or so for my protective gear, another 30 pounds for my camping kit and soft side cooler, and appx 30 pounds for clothing, medical kit, tool kit and souvenirs carried in my hard bags and you're at around 300 pounds. My highest mileage days were the three days it took me to get home from Mount Rushmore in South Dakota back to North Carolina. I covered 1800 miles and averaged a little over 600 miles a day. Virtually all of this was interstate riding and I generally rode about 10 mph over the limit, i.e. appx 80 mph the whole way. i was able to travel as fast as I felt comfortable riding. The main issues I had, all minor, were as follows:

1. Due to the realitive light weight of the CTX, crosswinds were wicked bad crossing southern New Mexico and the South Dakota prairie.
2. This trip convinced me that my next bike will have cruise control. Several days I took ibuprofen solely for my right wrist.
3. This trip convinced me my next bike will NOT have a chain drive. Every morning, rain or shine, I was on my knees inspecting the chain, applying chain wax, and wishing I had shaft drive.

I posted some pics below so you'll get an idea of the load I carried (and the sites I saw). Don't sweat the CTX's capabilities. It's not the perfect touring machine, but it's certainly capable. Put on fresh rubber, fresh oil, and a decent windscreen, load up and go!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1060934.jpg (415.0 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2552.jpg (336.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg P1060941.jpg (493.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2651.jpg (261.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg P1070139.jpg (444.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg P1070649.jpg (244.4 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg P1070900.jpg (87.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg P1070755.jpg (385.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg P1070423.jpg (181.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2866.jpg (169.1 KB, 27 views)

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. (Mark Twain)

2014 CTX700e, 6 speed, white

Corbin low
Cee Bailey 23 w/vent
Shad SH36's
Shad SH50 trunk
Oxford heated grips
Kuryakyn 4357 foot board and 8815 splines
Denali DM Micro LED driving lights
Tutoro Auto oiler

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 03:58 PM
Abk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keco View Post
The answer is a definite 'YES'. In the spring of 2017 I took a 44 day, 9400 mile cross country jaunt on my 2014 6 speed. At the time, I weighed in at 215. Add another 20 pounds or so for my protective gear, another 30 pounds for my camping kit and soft side cooler, and appx 30 pounds for clothing, medical kit, tool kit and souvenirs carried in my hard bags and you're at around 300 pounds. My highest mileage days were the three days it took me to get home from Mount Rushmore in South Dakota back to North Carolina. I covered 1800 miles and averaged a little over 600 miles a day. Virtually all of this was interstate riding and I generally rode about 10 mph over the limit, i.e. appx 80 mph the whole way. i was able to travel as fast as I felt comfortable riding. The main issues I had, all minor, were as follows:

1. Due to the realitive light weight of the CTX, crosswinds were wicked bad crossing southern New Mexico and the South Dakota prairie.
2. This trip convinced me that my next bike will have cruise control. Several days I took ibuprofen solely for my right wrist.
3. This trip convinced me my next bike will NOT have a chain drive. Every morning, rain or shine, I was on my knees inspecting the chain, applying chain wax, and wishing I had shaft drive.

I posted some pics below so you'll get an idea of the load I carried (and the sites I saw). Don't sweat the CTX's capabilities. It's not the perfect touring machine, but it's certainly capable. Put on fresh rubber, fresh oil, and a decent windscreen, load up and go!
I've exact same bike color etc. Lovely pix. Wondering what is the windscreen you have.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abk View Post
I've exact same bike color etc. Lovely pix. Wondering what is the windscreen you have.
ABK, the wind screen is a Cee Bailey 23 inch with vent. Great screen, but they're no longer made. The 'wing' on top is made by MRA and is called an X-Creen.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. (Mark Twain)

Corbin low
Cee Bailey 23 w/vent
Shad SH36's
Shad SH50 trunk
Oxford heated grips
Tutoro Auto oiler
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 11:51 PM

Reasonably priced drive chain?

Let me know when you are ready to trade in your old chain.

Thanks for the photos and info.
Keco likes this.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
This trip convinced me that my next bike will have cruise control. Several days I took ibuprofen solely for my right wrist.
@Keco sorry to hear about your wrist pain spoiling your trip a bit. Have you ever considered one of these?

https://usa.kaoko.com/

https://usa.kaoko.com/throttle-stabi...&manFilters=17

https://usa.kaoko.com/how-it-works

-Sloppy
kujawskir likes this.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppyburpfest View Post
@Keco sorry to hear about your wrist pain spoiling your trip a bit. Have you ever considered one of these?

https://usa.kaoko.com/

https://usa.kaoko.com/throttle-stabi...&manFilters=17

https://usa.kaoko.com/how-it-works

-Sloppy
Hi Sloppy, thanks for the reference. i did actually consider several mechanical throttle locks, including the Kaoko. In the end I decided that, for me, they were an imperfect solution to the problem. I think I've been spoiled by today's electronic wiz-bangery. Perhaps I judged them too harshly and if i had the opportunity to use one prior to purchase, my decision would be different. In any event, none of the items I mentioned above ruined the trip, they were simply "sub-optimal" experiences that have become targets for improvement if/when I purchase my next bike.
kujawskir likes this.

Corbin low
Cee Bailey 23 w/vent
Shad SH36's
Shad SH50 trunk
Oxford heated grips
Tutoro Auto oiler
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 03:32 PM

Look at the Honda GW F6B. I have a '13 & I just love it. This time of year you could steal one.
Keco likes this.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
I think I've been spoiled by today's electronic wiz-bangery.
@Keco, if you want electronic wiz-bangery have you looked at these guys? https://www.mccruise.com/

https://www.mccruise.com/collections...nt=47586368132

Still a little cheaper than buying a whole new bike.

-Sloppy
kujawskir likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CTX700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in