I got Trashed - Honda CTX700 Forum
 52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

I got Trashed

Not in the stumbling, fall over, I'm king of the world kind of way, but nearly taken out by a flying trash can kind of way!
Yesterday, we were riding down a two lane country road and happened to make a turn onto another road just as one of those big trucks that has a crane attached to it went by in front of us. As we caught up to the truck, we were running probably about 60 mph and keeping at speed with him, maybe about 20 yards behind him.
All of a sudden, his draft picked up one of those large industrial plastic trash cans and flung it out in front of my bike! Maggie on the CTX in close pursuit of me. I barely had time to make an evasive move and ended up clipping the front of the can sending it into a spinning top right behind me. Maggie is a great rider and managed to see what was happening and prepared for her escape line and managed somehow to miss this massive obstacle spinning right at her. It took out my front reflector and my crashbar took the brunt of the force but no real damage to the bike other than that.
Over the years, we have had stoves fall of trucks in front of us, gas cans fly out of truck beds and many other odd pieces of debri come hurtling our way.
Lesson learned to always give plenty of room to those fast moving trucks in front of you for many good reasons! Be aware out there, because you just never know!
Kfrill, VFRrider, jfc77320 and 7 others like this.

"The Road Goes On Forever" REK

IBA #23562
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 07:24 AM

Wow!! High five to the motorcycle angels once again. Glad you both are okay.
jfc77320, fjones, quietguy and 1 others like this.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 07:38 AM

Dang glad you both are SAFE, Thumper...

And you are spot on... as we often heard in VN, keep your #### wired tight at all times.

It's a new year... Many happy and safe rides to all!

fjones likes this.

No longer a member of this site...

Last edited by quietguy; 01-01-2016 at 08:47 AM.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 08:42 AM

Garage
First, glad to hear you and your wife are OK!
Second, nice of you to share this incident as it should remind us all of how quickly something not "biker-friendly" can occur.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 11:34 AM

Garage
My WORD!!, Thumper. Glad you are well and safe.

Here in AZ, I remind my wife, who does not like to do over 65 on the freeways, to not stick herself behind open-top trucks, dumpers, and the ever-present yard crew "freight drags" [which ALWAYS go slower that traffic, and have all sorts of junk in their wire-caged trailers]. As much as she hate the cross winds, I waive her to go around and get well in front.

We've seen all sorts of stuff blow out of trucks. Never a DOT/DPS cop around to ticket these jerks.
Kfrill, fjones and susietronti like this.

Ride Often, Ride Safe
fmt
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

Brings back memories of lessons learned from the old days. We used to have a funny saying amongst riders that was based on a TV commercial that played in the Houston area. Basically, it went something like this. "How longs it been since you've had a good dusting from a gravel truck? Well, that's too long!"

I do have to admit I avoid any kind of construction or equipment truck like the plague.
Kfrill, fjones and El Gato like this.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 02:37 PM

Garage
howdy, from another perspective, you'll never know how nervous it made me when motorcycle riders stayed in the danger zone. I was the construction driver or other flatbed driver hauling stuff which is virtually impossible to secure in such a way that there is 0000 chance it or some portion of it will come loose and injure or kill someone. in the local area, a part of the brake drum split off and killed two motorcycle riders. no way to guarantee that will not happen. soo: when you come up behind a truck , LOOK and see if something of the load could come off and place yourself where if it did, you can survive. if you're going to pass, do so soon. stay back until ready to pass , then do it quick. word to the wise

ken

lotsa miles and smiles to ya
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 02:50 PM
Banned

could have been way worse that's for sure
parts not too expensive and the shorts will wash clean

Kfrill, fjones, quietguy and 1 others like this.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 04:03 PM

Garage
Thumper
your Guardian Angles were watching out for u.
You never know what life will throw your way.
Kfrill and quietguy like this.

1970 250 Triumph
1972 CB350 Honda
1958 BSA 650
2000 royal star Venture
2002 FZ1
2004 FZ6
1989 shadow Spirit 1100
2002 shadow Spirit 750
2005 C50 Suzuki
2006 250 Rebel
2004 Vstrom 650
2014 CTX700ND
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all! We are fortunate to be able to do what we do, know the dangers involved in our passion and are always on our game when riding. This was one of those situations that are hard to predict, but training and experience help get you through it hopefully. Ride safe, ride often and be ready for the unexpected.
We were able to to put on another 170 miles today. Our weather in Central Florida has been the best I can remember in many years for this time of season.
@ctxdawg - I totally respect the difficulties truck drivers have trying to negotiate traffic and know what's going on around them. I have been in that seat before. My situation was not the drivers fault at all. I should have been hanging back a little further on this one.

"The Road Goes On Forever" REK

IBA #23562

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CTX700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in