Battery replacement - Honda CTX700 Forum
 45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Battery replacement

Anyone have any recommendations on battery replacement?
Ruby likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 08:32 PM

The lithium batteries can be hit or miss with the DCT. Some cause issues, some do not. There seems to be no reason why either.
henrypumpkin118 and Ruby like this.

2016 CTX700 DCT ABS (His)
2016 CTX700N DCT ABS (Hers)
If you thinking you're a person of some influence, try ordering someone else's dog around. - Will Rogers

Rear Electrical Harness Adapter
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 09:21 PM

Original battery lasted just over four years so I replaced it with the same battery.
mario and Ruby like this.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 12:19 PM

Garage
Purchased a Li and works fine.
Ruby likes this.

CTX 700ND
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 05:01 PM

Garage
I picked up an Antigravity ATZ10 last year after my stock battery finally died on me after work at 9PM, leaving me to spend the next 2 days after work pushing it almost 2.5 miles because I was too cheap to have it towed. The new lithium battery is definitely a nice upgrade over the stock with modest weight savings (though that doesn't really amount to much in the grand scheme of things), and the built-in starter function offers some piece of mind knowing if the battery does die on me, I will at least have enough power to get it moving until I can fully charge it.

However, here a couple of precautions regarding Li-Ion batteries:

1) You can't just use your existing battery tender/charger with it, as it was designed for lead/acid batteries like the stock battery, and they will damage your new LiIon. You will need to buy an appropriate charger/maintainer, which adds significant expense.

2) LiIon batteries hate cold weather (just ask anyone with a Nissan Leaf!), and I was reminded of that firsthand this week. I was late to work on Sunday because I had parked my bike outside my house as I usually do, having forgotten that we would have near-freezing cold & rain over the weekend that our area hasn't received in a while. When I went to start the bike in the early morning after a nice 3-day weekend, I couldn't get so much as a light to turn on. The cold weather had completely drained my battery over a couple of days, even though I had fully charged it after replacing a dead headlight earlier in the week.

That being said, I was able to put the battery's built-in jumpstart button to the test & get the bike moving again. After work, I still had enough charge to start the bike once more, go home, and get the battery fully charged in the safety of the garage.
kujawskir, Ruby, mzflorida and 1 others like this.

Last edited by henrypumpkin118; 12-05-2019 at 06:08 PM.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 07:13 PM

Garage
Yuasa has a pretty good reputation. Funnily enough, batteries plus' replacement gets really good reviews on forums and their website. I did recently have one Yuasa with a defect...next day replacement for what it's worth.
Ruby likes this.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzflorida View Post
Yuasa has a pretty good reputation. Funnily enough, batteries plus' replacement gets really good reviews on forums and their website. I did recently have one Yuasa with a defect...next day replacement for what it's worth.
+1 for Yuasa. Be sure to get an AGM, not sure if they make the regular lead/acid or not.
Ruby likes this.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 09:11 PM

Just like tires, windshields, oil, seats, helmets & the list goes on. Ask 10 people you'll get 10 different answers.....
Having said that, I've had great luck using the YUSA battery. I swapped out one 6yo because of it's age. 6yo one still sitting on the shelf, fully charged.
Dennis Kirk stands behind whatever they sell & their prices are good. Shipper dropped a battery & damaged the corner, send DK a pic, they had a new battery headed my way the same day. Sent me a shipping return label, shipper dropped off my new battery & took the damaged one. None deal.
kujawskir, 350Four and Ruby like this.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 10:38 AM

Unless you live and ride in the freezing cold, there is no sense of not getting a Li, with the prices of brand name standard batteries being almost the same. All 4 of my bikes have Li, I like Shorai, personally.

Having 4 bikes and each one getting about 2500mi a year, it is peace of mind I don’t have to deal with chargers.
Ruby likes this.

-2013 Triumph Street Triple R
-2017 Honda CBR1000RR
-2018 Triumph Tiger XRx
-2019 Kawasaki Z900RS Cafe
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 11:39 AM

The Yuasa lasted me 6 yrs. and started the bike in 10 degree weather. So you know what I replaced it with.
Ruby likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CTX700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in