Power commander - Honda CTX700 Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

Power commander

Hey guys has anyone ever installed a power commander on there Honda CTX 700. I have a 2014 model and sometimes I feel like want a little more from the bike.
kujawskir likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 09:09 AM

This has been discussed many times, particularly the Magnum chip. Seems we can't get any takers for the first one. An old member Devilsfan did have his ECM re-programed and claimed it helped, but he had a Clutch and very hard to do on the DCT

2014 CTX700 dct
2016 NM4
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 12:44 PM

A little more what? Engines work inside a triangle of Power, Mileage and Emissions. You want more power and your mileage will go down. Honda spent $millions getting what they felt was the best compromise. There is no magic that breaks that reality with a Power Commander or any other fuel mapping mods.

Steve
Kickapoojim likes this.

2014 CTX700D

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 01:29 PM

Garage
It was my understanding, that the computer will override anything that is set outside limits. Smart Hondas. I may be wrong though.

CTX 700ND
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 02:14 PM

These bikes weren't built to be "go fast bikes," not even close. Suggest you look into a good used sport bike, there're thousands out there for sale @ steal prices.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 03:24 PM

Normal Power Commanders won't work on the DCT equipped bikes. Honda built in systems that won't accept the input. There is a system from a company in Europe that has circumvented this, and that was discussed on a thread earlier this year. I believe the cost was around $800 US.

I'll echo what was previously said... If you want more power, the least expensive thing would be to trade for a different bike. #Rebel13 did a ton of work to his engine, modifying the ports, eliminating the Catalytic Converter, and more, and his outcome was that it wasn't worth the effort. This engine was developed from the original Honda FIT car engine. That engine was designed to be cheap, basic, transportation. Some of the design parameters eliminated possibility of easily improving performance. It would take a whole new head, and other parts, to make this puppy growl. And, if you did, then the economy, and longevity, would suffer. The chassis wasn't designed for performance either, so like has been said... look for a good used sport bike.

Last edited by Daddy Dave; 11-02-2019 at 03:32 PM.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 03:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevindpeiza View Post
Hey guys has anyone ever installed a power commander on there Honda CTX 700. I have a 2014 model and sometimes I feel like want a little more from the bike.
I see this is your first post and thanks for participating. I don’t think there is any hidden or repressed performance that can be gained by any FI remapping. Hondaprokevin is an excellent resource for all of the design ideas of what Honda wanted to create concerning the CTX, especially the color DCT diagrams of how they married the dual clutch to the standard motorcycle transmission. One quote “The 670cc liquid-cooled 8-valve SOHC parallel twin-cylinder engine powering the CTX700N was designed from the outset to deliver outstanding bottom-end and mid-range torque – the rpm area many riders use the most on the road – with superb fuel efficiency” pretty much says it all. Not a high performance design but stop light to stop light it can hold its own for basically a closer to 650cc engine. Save your money and run the bike to its limits which most people never explore. According to the chart the sweet spot is at about 5200 RPM where HP meets torque. In other words ride it like you stole it.
You searched for ctx | Honda-Pro Kevin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15-CTX700_dyno_honda.jpg (83.5 KB, 3 views)

2014 CTX700ND
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 05:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevindpeiza View Post
Sure! I call it the "DAG".

I mean, I'm almost always cruising between 2000 and 4000 RPM, where there's enough power to keep speed steady. I Drop A Gear and the RPM goes up a couple thousand - instant extra power up to about 5200, like dgall said.

It's not "blow your doors off" power, but it commands the power that is available to show up for the party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgall View Post
... run the bike to its limits which most people never explore. According to the chart the sweet spot is at about 5200 RPM where HP meets torque. In other words ride it like you stole it.
You searched for ctx | Honda-Pro Kevin
BobWitte and dgall like this.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgall View Post
According to the chart the sweet spot is at about 5200 RPM where HP meets torque.
The horsepower and torque curves always cross at 5252 RPM

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...ss-at-5252-rpm

cheers,
Michael
dgall likes this.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 07:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Moore View Post
The horsepower and torque curves always cross at 5252 RPM

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...ss-at-5252-rpm

cheers,
Michael
Just a novice but always learning , is it correct to achieve the most efficient forward motion is it best to shift at the point of where max torque is just declining and HP rising meet or is there a better strategy.

2014 CTX700ND

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CTX700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in