Discolored Sprocket - Honda CTX700 Forum
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Discolored Sprocket

Hi everyone. I accidentally sprayed the sprocket with some wheel cleaner which caused it to discolor. Any suggestions on how to restore it back to original or do you know if it is possible? Thank you all in advance! Apologies if this is not the right area to post this in.
Ruby likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Spray the rest to even it all out. It won't hurt the sprocket none, all you did was stain the galvanization.
BobWitte and Ruby like this.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
That is a very good suggestion. Thank you! But, I am that guy...bothers me knowing it is there. Any ideas on how to restore it short of replacing it? Thank you again for the suggestion.
Ruby likes this.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 09:37 AM

replacing just the rear sprocket would be a "no no" (and a lot of work) as you're suppose to replace front, rear & chain as a set so they'll all wear even / together / at the same rate. You might be able to loosen the rear axel slide the wheel enough forward to slip the chain off. Then clean & sand the sprocket enough to spray it whatever color you like. Then there's the problem of "over spray" on other parts of your bike...……………….If it were me, I'd do as Rebel said & just make whole sprocket match. You'll be the only person that'll ever notice it. But I understand wanting it to look like new, I'm the same way. Sometimes it worth all the extra work, sometimes it's not.
BobWitte and Ruby like this.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I hope you realize that the sprocket gets very dirty quickly and nearly permanently. Your concern about this is silly. It's like being concern about keeping the tire tread clear and armoralled, it is insignificant. Spray it to even it out and call it a day.
Jroper likes this.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by olegoat345 View Post
replacing just the rear sprocket would be a "no no" (and a lot of work) as you're suppose to replace front, rear & chain as a set so they'll all wear even / together / at the same rate. You might be able to loosen the rear axel slide the wheel enough forward to slip the chain off. Then clean & sand the sprocket enough to spray it whatever color you like. Then there's the problem of "over spray" on other parts of your bike...……………….If it were me, I'd do as Rebel said & just make whole sprocket match. You'll be the only person that'll ever notice it. But I understand wanting it to look like new, I'm the same way. Sometimes it worth all the extra work, sometimes it's not.
I have to tell you, I was entirely unaware of that recommendation to change all 3 at the same time. But makes perfect sense. Changes it from 40 bucks and a few minutes to 300 bucks and 4 hours. You are right. I will be the only person who will ever notice it. And it's my wife's bike. But, I think I am still going to try to find a way. I guess it is the military in me...clean, dry, serviceable.
Ruby likes this.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel13 View Post
I hope you realize that the sprocket gets very dirty quickly and nearly permanently. Your concern about this is silly. It's like being concern about keeping the tire tread clear and armoralled, it is insignificant. Spray it to even it out and call it a day.
Nope. Not silly at all. Yes, I do realize that the chain and sprocket become dirty very quickly. Part of the enjoyment I get from motorcycling is through the maintenance and improvement of the machine. Keeping them running and looking new gives me quite a bit of pride and enjoyment. That might not be part of why you are a motorcyclist, but it certainly does not make my choice silly.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 01:01 PM

Garage
I would check to see if your wheel cleaner is safe for painted surfaces. The sprocket is probably permently stained or etched. Keep any kind of chemical cleaner from running down the sprocket directly into the rubber o rings of your chain. You could try some vinegar, metal polish or rubbing compound. A steel wool soap pad might also work. Last you could use a brass brush to polish the entire sprocket to a consistent finish. You wont get a perfect score at the Concours d'Elegance but the bright side is the more you ride it the sooner your going to have to replace it with a shinny new one. I have had o ring chains fail and bind up way before the sprockets were sufficiently worn and threw a new chain on them with no issues so I don’t subscribe to it is a must to change all three together. Ideally yes but mandatory no. Every situation is different.
https://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-brass-wheel-and-brush-set-66114.html
Ruby likes this.

2014 CTX700ND
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 01:15 PM

If you're as anal as I am, you'll find away to make that sprocket look like new...
dgall has a few ideas you may want to try one of them.
I always figured that "wheel cleaner" had to be some strong stuff, I'd also bet It'll harm wheels over a period of time. My G/F uses it on her car wheels. I use car soap & a soft brush.
Ruby likes this.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Some ride and some polish....

It is an ugly sprocket to begin with, why not just get an aftermarket one while you are at it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CTX700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in