Are backrests and new seats recommended? - Honda CTX700 Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Are backrests and new seats recommended?

First of all since my last name is Davidson so I always get asked "do you ride a Harley?

I am seriously contemplating buying a new old stock 2015 ctx700 with fairing (of course) at a dealership in my area. After reading and reading the posts here I am starting to wonder if the forward foot pegs would be a problem for me. I have almost always had my feet beneath me. Many here have made mods such as floor boards, seats with backrests, etc. It appears that the windscreen is a definite mod. I am a little confused about the differing riders measurements they use to determine the height for the Madstad though. I am trying to decide between the ctx700 and a Kawasaki KLR650, which would give me the "feet beneath me". Either bike needs some mods for each size and type of rider. Both agree on the Madstad.

I had a Yamaha V-Star for a short time but it's forward controls were way too forward for me. I tried a new seat with a backrest and I could not get comfortable at all.

So, I hope some of you may have some advice for me. I am 5ft 10 1/2 inches and an inseam of 30 1/2 inches.
Thanks in advance.
BobWitte likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 04:21 PM

Garage
howdy and welcome to the forum.
i also don;t generally like the feet forward thing and the back rest would throw all kinds of wickedness in it for me, however , i must say that on the ctx, the feet foward didn't really bother me after the first couple days of riding. i'm pretty sure it wouldn't bother you but i would definitely try first without the back rest. it does leave you hanging on rather than leaning on the bars and i don't prefer that. that said, i did add the floorboards and like the ability to change the foot position as i'm riding. on the highway , i use the closest place i can but in town use the best position to get to the brake pedal.
ken

lotsa miles and smiles to ya
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 05:26 PM

Garage
Welcome! You have a half inch more in both places on me. Installing the Kury footboards and adding my mid-position footpegs (for cruising) made all the difference in the world. BTW, you can't do the mid-position pegs with the stock muffler in place.

I currently have a low position custom Corbin with their back rest that works great in combo with ROX risers moving the handle bars up & back a bit.

I have the 6-speed manual and therefore, my left foot spends much of the time at the rear of the footboard as does my right since I like so many others, I seldom use the rear brake.

Works for me.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 08:20 AM

I got use to feet forward years ago. Became a real fan as I got older and love the sitting up position particularly for long scenic rides. Added a back rest to all of them and made the position much more relaxed. Even helped on the bigger bikes pushing backwards out of tight parking spots. To each their own, but a definite winner for me. Certainly not sporty and leaning more over the tank. That's too much pressure for this old body, both back and wrists
BobWitte likes this.

2014 CTX700 dct
2016 NM4
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 08:58 AM

Garage
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtvic View Post
I got use to feet forward years ago. Became a real fan as I got older and love the sitting up position particularly for long scenic rides. Added a back rest to all of them and made the position much more relaxed. Even helped on the bigger bikes pushing backwards out of tight parking spots. To each their own, but a definite winner for me. Certainly not sporty and leaning more over the tank. That's too much pressure for this old body, both back and wrists
That's what I call the CITO position!! (Cramps In The Outhouse)
mtvic likes this.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 11:13 AM

Garage
Im about 5'5"... and when i 1st got my CTX, those pegs out front felt pretty far out... i felt like i had to reach out for them.... but with the Kury floorboards... it all changed... Just those alone transformed the riding position for me... They may be "forward" controls.. but doenst feel that way anymore.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 12:53 PM

The KLR and the CTX are about as far apart as you can get in comparing bikes in the small to medium sized category.
The KLR is a single cylinder dual sport and the CTX is a twin mini-touring bike. Neither are still in production.
The KLR has a much higher seat height. Both are dependable with bullet-proof engines. The KLR borders on crude though.
Another one to consider would be the Suzuki SV650, a strong bike with pegs under you and also a bullet-proof engine. The Kawi Vulcan 650 is another some have looked at. It has a high revving motor and is not happy at speeds above 60 do to the high revs needed. The CTX is, to me, a much better choice over the Kawi.
First determine the type of riding you will do. Try to test ride any bike you are considering..
The feet forward on the CTX is not as severe as other forward control bikes. Floorboards can help offset that feeling.
The 2015 (and later) CTX seat puts you closer to the tank than the 2014. This can be an issue for longer legged riders. Many here have swapped seats.
Which ever bike you choose, wait until you have a couple hundred miles on it before you make any changes.
Get familiar with the bike so you can fully understand what you do/do not like. Do not rely on the opinions of others until you have experience with the bike (any bike).
350Four and Arrgh like this.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 01:48 PM

Garage
I can give you my viewpoint on your heading about the seat and backrest situation.
Backrests are discretionary. Some people canít live without one, others, like myself, donít really need one so itís up to the individual.
The seat, on the other hand is a different story. The engineers short changed us when it came to seat design. I compare it to sitting on a 2x4 and totally uncomfortable after a half hour or so of riding. I upgraded the seat so now itís an all day seat. It dramatically improved my riding comfort.
With with foot peg position being what it is, there is still a need for floorboards. My feet got very sore after a day of riding.
Windshields?.... meh... I think thatís discretionary, as well. I was fortunate to get a Cee Bailey for my C. No regrets. In my opinion, windshields are nowhere near important enough to use as a deciding factor of whether to purchase a C or not.
The absolute, 100%, ultra-mandatory thing I needed to do with the bike was install a throttle lock. Otherwise it was unridable with the wrist/arm pain I was getting.
Anyway, I love the C, I have customized it for my enjoyment. I wish you the best in doing so yourself.

Glenn

Smart Turn System
Smart Brake Module
Denali PowerHub
Center Stand (NC700S)
Crazy Iron crash bars
Givi E55 (55 litre) Maxia 3 top box with rack
AdMore lighting Kit
Givi 33 litre top case bag
Givi 15 litre bag
Cee Bailey pannier inserts
Saddleman BR3400 sissy bar bag
Kuryakyn 8" floorboards driver
Kuryakyn 4" mini floorboards passenger
BrakeAway cruise control (best mod)
Cee Bailey windshield with vent
Seth Laam seat
Denali D2 driving lights
Scott Oiler eSystem
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 11:01 PM

I'm 5'8" and wear a 30" inseam. I have a BMW with a 30 1/2" high seat as well as the CTX. On the BMW my feet are below me, and I can stand up on the foot pegs, and I like it just fine. When I get on the Honda after the BMW, I experience a momentary 'where do I put my feet?', but other than that I find my leg position on the CTX quite natural and comfortable; it doesn't feel overly forward to me.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 11:06 PM

Garage
I just finished a 7 day 4000 km trip to the maritimes (it would have been about a week longer, but with the hurricane coming, we headed west from Saint John, cut through Maine, NH, vermont and NY to get back to ottawa. My buddy was having problems riding a NC750 in that his but would get sore after about 40 minutes. Recognizing that was going to be a problem, we switched bikes for a while. The NC is a taller bike with pegs underneath. It didn't take long for either of us to get used to the other style, so I imaging you would be fine. He found the seat on teh CTX to be very confortable, but he got a new larger gel seat cover that worked well for him.

Like Glenn said, a good throttle lock can make a big difference. Of course, it depends on where you ride. If riding flat ground, once the set the speed you are good to go. Throughout the eastern provinces and states, with constant changes in elevation, it was good enough to give me a few minutes of rest that allowed me to shake out my right hand and get blood flowing again.

I have the stock seat and stuck with pegs, no floorboards. While not coming close to what many riders here have churned out, I found it a good ride for what I found to be long days of riding including the Cabot trail with constant 16 degree climbs (and declines) for several miles, with 180 degree slow speed turns and roads that are always close to the edge.

Ride the bike some more and find out how it feels and you may not want or need any upgrades for seat or back rest. Welcome to the forum; you will find it useful and entertaining as well as educational.
BobWitte, SpartaPanther and Arrgh like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CTX700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in