Keyless Gas Cap - Honda CTX700 Forum
 51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Keyless Gas Cap

I can't find any old threads about this so here goes. Anybody put a keyless gas cap on their CTX? I fill up every day due to commute distance and I don't like messing with the key every time. I replaced the cap on my Suzuki Burgman with a keyless one and it's been fantastic. I found an HTT model for many Honda models, but the CTX isn't specifically listed. I'm down the rabbit hole of cross referencing the OEM CTX cap with the OEM version of one of the HTT compatible models.

Thanks in advance for any input and I'll keep this thread updated with my progress.
Ruby likes this.

A long commute is just more miles to spend on your motorcycle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 02:07 PM

I had my locksmith make a spare key. I keep in my wallet. So when I pull out the debit card to swipe I pull out the key and remove the cap while the pump is processing my debit info. By the time I place the cap on top of pump itís usually ready to begin pumping.
Ruby likes this.

2014 candy red 700D dct abs
2015 silver 700N dct abs
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 05:26 PM

I did see somebody on the Kawisaki forum that got one, but that required also replacing the ring attached to the tank. Of course nothing like that is available on the CTX. The poster that mentioned a spare key made me think. As you are obviously are not worried about the gas tank being accessible to anybody, perhaps you could get a spare key and just leave it in the lock on the current gas cap. I think it would fit underneath the plastic cover that you pull up. Then you would not have to mess with the key that is in the ignition and could just open the gas cap as you wish. Just an idea.
Ruby likes this.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcintucson View Post
I did see somebody on the Kawisaki forum that got one, but that required also replacing the ring attached to the tank. Of course nothing like that is available on the CTX. The poster that mentioned a spare key made me think. As you are obviously are not worried about the gas tank being accessible to anybody, perhaps you could get a spare key and just leave it in the lock on the current gas cap. I think it would fit underneath the plastic cover that you pull up. Then you would not have to mess with the key that is in the ignition and could just open the gas cap as you wish. Just an idea.
Spare key could be used to start the bike too, so it might not be a good idea to leave one in the filler cap.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 05:54 AM

Am I missing something here? Is it really that big a deal to take the key out of the ignition and put it back after you're done fueling? What an ordeal!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 01:17 PM

"Spare key could be used to start the bike too, so it might not be a good idea to leave one in the filler cap."
Thanks Daddy D. You are right. I hereby withdraw my previous suggestion.
Ruby and CTX2fer like this.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalewman View Post
progress.
I leave a spare key in the gas cap; one that I cut it down in size and added a knob on the top for easy twisting. The short key can't be used to start the engine.
The filler gas cap only uses the first half inch of the OEM key. Where as the ignition uses the whole inch and a quarter.
kujawskir, dgall, Ruby and 3 others like this.

Last edited by Gordon; 09-06-2019 at 03:36 PM.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donquixote View Post
Am I missing something here? Is it really that big a deal to take the key out of the ignition and put it back after you're done fueling? What an ordeal!

Yes. My ring only has 3 keys plus a bottle opener on it, but it's a pain in the butt to deal with it everyday, especially wearing gloves.
Troup1998 and Ruby like this.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
I leave a spare key in the gas cap; one that I cut it down in size and added a knob on the top for easy twisting. The short key can't be used to start the engine.
The filler gas cap only uses the first half inch of the OEM key. Where as the ignition uses the whole inch and a quarter.

What kind of knob did you add? I ordered a used cap & key on eBay and I'm going to do the same thing. I've been kicking around different ideas on what to put on top of the cut down key to make it easy to twist with gloves on. Thanks!
Ruby likes this.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 04:33 PM

Garage
Am I missing something here, Is anyone thinking about bike theft? Leaving a key is the gas cap is an excellent way for a bike thief to steal your bike!
Ruby and SpartaPanther like this.

2018 Honda CTX700D
2017 Burgman 650 Executive
2017 Honda CTX700D (Totaled)
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe (Sold)
2015 Honda CTX700nd Sold
2014 Honda Forza 300 (Sold)
2005 Burgman AN650K5 (Sold)
2009 Burgman AN400K9 (Sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CTX700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in