Ridley Motorcycle - Honda CTX700 Forum
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Ridley Motorcycle

Has anyone rode both the CTX700 DCT & the Ridley? Which did you prefer & why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 11:46 AM

Garage
I've never ridden a Ridley (although I'm quite familiar with them from my Trinity Trike days), but the Ridley had a standard CVT transmission like unto most of the super scooter class (Bergman, Silver Wing, et al), many of which I have driven. So, I'm confident in saying to you that the DCT is worlds apart & above from a CVT. It is no contest that the DCT is a superior technology.

And for full disclosure, mine is a 6 speed manual (not a DCT). I specifically sought out a manual when buying my CTX because I didn't want to give up the manual shift experience.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobWitte View Post
I've never ridden a Ridley (although I'm quite familiar with them from my Trinity Trike days), but the Ridley had a standard CVT transmission like unto most of the super scooter class (Bergman, Silver Wing, et al), many of which I have driven. So, I'm confident in saying to you that the DCT is worlds apart & above from a CVT. It is no contest that the DCT is a superior technology.

And for full disclosure, mine is a 6 speed manual (not a DCT). I specifically sought out a manual when buying my CTX because I didn't want to give up the manual shift experience.
Thank you for the reply.
What will the DCT give me that the CVT won't (ie faster from a stop, higher top speed, ect)?
kujawskir likes this.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 02:50 PM

Garage
Ridley mcs were discontinued in 09, meaning the parts are 10 years out of date. Good luck obtaining them. They are cruisers based on a standard cruiser design ie Harley, Yamaha etc. The CTX last made n 2018 still has parts, is a nicer ride, and there still may be a 2020.
BobWitte likes this.

CTX 700ND
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
Ridley mcs were discontinued in 09, meaning the parts are 10 years out of date. Good luck obtaining them. They are cruisers based on a standard cruiser design ie Harley, Yamaha etc. The CTX last made n 2018 still has parts, is a nicer ride, and there still may be a 2020.
Ridley still makes parts for their bikes, albeit very expensive parts. Genuine Ridley Motorcycle Parts : Parts, Accessories, & Technical Help for Ridley Auto-Glide & Speedster Motorcycles
They say the stuff isn't old stock but is still being manufactured.

I thought the CTX was also a cruiser style like a Harley. How does it differ?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 03:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morefilling View Post
Thank you for the reply.
What will the DCT give me that the CVT won't (ie faster from a stop, higher top speed, ect)?
All that and more. The DCT is a true, geared transmission. The CVT is two variable pulleys and a belt. Time proven, but, old school technology.
kujawskir and Morefilling like this.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 08:59 PM

Garage
howdy, i've had both types of transmission though not specifically the model you were asking about and can say without doubt the cvt is higher maintainance with belt replacement for most required frequently while the dct is not going to leave one stranded when the belt or rollers or clutch disintegrates.
ken

lotsa miles and smiles to ya
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 12:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morefilling View Post
Ridley still makes parts for their bikes, albeit very expensive parts. Genuine Ridley Motorcycle Parts : Parts, Accessories, & Technical Help for Ridley Auto-Glide & Speedster Motorcycles
They say the stuff isn't old stock but is still being manufactured.

I thought the CTX was also a cruiser style like a Harley. How does it differ?

If you look at the ridleys the front wheel is kicked out as in a typical cruiser. Thus rack is larger causing a required wider turn but does give more stability. The Trail is shorter. The CTX has the front wheel closer to the frame, smaller rack allowing shorter turns and more control. The trail is larger. If the ctx had mid pegs it would be a street bike, but is listed as a cruiser due to the forward rider pegs. Ridley is a good bike but is a classic cruiser style. CTX is more of a sport bike.
Morefilling likes this.

CTX 700ND
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 01:00 PM

I would classify the CTX more as a small touring bike. I call mine a baby Goldwing. The naked model might be closer to a cruiser, albeit a sporty one.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 09:35 PM

I think of my Nekkid as a “standard”, especially since I swapped out the quasi-apehanger handlebar.

As to the CVT vs. DCT question, here is an interesting comparison test:
https://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-out...c700-dct-video
Morefilling likes this.

Last edited by Arrgh; 08-21-2019 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Clarity

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CTX700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in