Ridley Motorcycle - Page 2 - Honda CTX700 Forum
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrgh View Post
I think of my Nekkid as a “standard”, especially since I swapped out the quasi-apehanger handlebar.

As to the CVT vs. DCT question, here is an interesting comparison test:
https://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-out...c700-dct-video
Thank you for the link. I've actually read that article before. Before posting here, I did quite a bit of research online. It would seem that the Honda DCT & the Ridley would be aimed at the same group of riders, but finding someone that has ridden & written about both is difficult.

For anyone that is interested, the Aprilia & the Ridley do differ. The Ridley is 738cc vs Aprilia's 839cc, Ridley has only one driving mode vs Aprilia's sport & touring modes, Ridley offers no manual shifting but also has no buzzing that the article mentions about the Aprilia.

I have a few complaints about Ridley. Its top speed is about 75mph. It seems a little sluggish from a stop but I'm not sure how much better the CTX700 would be. The seat height is 24.5" & I'm 6ft. I have a 2007 so its getting a little long in the tooth and, as previously mentioned, they aren't making any new ones. Unfortunately, there aren't many CTX700 DCTs out there and finding one to test drive is a challenge. There was a new one last year at the dealer, but they wouldn't let me ride it.
Ruby likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 10:00 AM

If I were 6ft I would be riding an NC750XD. Better riding position, more suspension travel, more power and 3rd gen DCT.
Morefilling likes this.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrgh View Post
If I were 6ft I would be riding an NC750XD. Better riding position, more suspension travel, more power and 3rd gen DCT.
More power sounds good. I didn't even look at the "adventure" bikes on Honda's website. I can't use my left arm to support any of my body weight. I need a bike where 100% of my body weight is on the seat (ie like sitting in a chair - not leaning forward). The pictures of the VFR1200, Africa twin, and the NCs look like you lean forward when you sit on them. Do you?

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morefilling View Post
I have a few complaints about Ridley. Its top speed is about 75mph. It seems a little sluggish from a stop but I'm not sure how much better the CTX700 would be.
Based on your statement, I would put down money that the CTX DCT would smoke the Ridley from a stop.
BobWitte and Morefilling like this.

Tony

2014 CTX 700N DCT

Kuryakyn Floorboards - Centerstand - Gonzo Shock Mod -Freeway Blaster Horns - Elcheapo Handguards - Madstad kickstand shoe - Madstad 22" Windshield - BrakeAway Cruise Control - Brake light flasher - Throttle Tamer - Oxford Heaterz - Riderscan Mirror - JFC Brackets - Michelin Road 5
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
More power sounds good. I didn't even look at the "adventure" bikes on Honda's website. I can't use my left arm to support any of my body weight. I need a bike where 100% of my body weight is on the seat (ie like sitting in a chair - not leaning forward). The pictures of the VFR1200, Africa twin, and the NCs look like you lean forward when you sit on them. Do you?
The CTX DCT with floorboards is perfect for you based on your criteria. I really don't think you could go wrong.
BobWitte likes this.

Tony

2014 CTX 700N DCT

Kuryakyn Floorboards - Centerstand - Gonzo Shock Mod -Freeway Blaster Horns - Elcheapo Handguards - Madstad kickstand shoe - Madstad 22" Windshield - BrakeAway Cruise Control - Brake light flasher - Throttle Tamer - Oxford Heaterz - Riderscan Mirror - JFC Brackets - Michelin Road 5
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 11:43 AM

Garage
Quote:
Thank you for the link. I've actually read that article before. Before posting here, I did quite a bit of research online. It would seem that the Honda DCT & the Ridley would be aimed at the same group of riders, but finding someone that has ridden & written about both is difficult.

For anyone that is interested, the Aprilia & the Ridley do differ. The Ridley is 738cc vs Aprilia's 839cc, Ridley has only one driving mode vs Aprilia's sport & touring modes, Ridley offers no manual shifting but also has no buzzing that the article mentions about the Aprilia.

I have a few complaints about Ridley. Its top speed is about 75mph. It seems a little sluggish from a stop but I'm not sure how much better the CTX700 would be. The seat height is 24.5" & I'm 6ft. I have a 2007 so its getting a little long in the tooth and, as previously mentioned, they aren't making any new ones.

Unfortunately, there aren't many CTX700 DCTs out there and finding one to test drive is a challenge. There was a new one last year at the dealer, but they wouldn't let me ride it.
First of all, welcome from Florida, the land of 333 day riding seasons!! Reading this thread right now we all know where you are from, but the next time you post elsewhere, most of us will not have a clue (especially us old guys!). So, let me suggest that you put your city/state/region in your profile (at least your state). Knowing where you are in general terms, helps readers of your future posts to have a "context" to draw on.

And knowing where you are might help you find someone who'd let you try out their CTX.

Since you are new to this forum (and their "mechanics" are all different!). Here's how to edit your Profile for your location:

1) Click on "User CP" tab in the upper right corner of this screen. If you don't see it, you are not at the top level. Scroll all the way up and it is just under the Search dialog.
2) Once on the User CP (Control Panel) page you'll see "Edit Your Details" click on the upper left side frame entry labeled "Your Profile"
3) Now scroll down to "Additional Information" & click "Location." Just put in your location at whatever level of detail you prefer (Country, Region, State/Prov, and/or City).
4) Continue to scroll down until you see "Save Changes" at the bottom of the page, click that and you are done.

Note, since most smart phones are not smart enough to allow you to perform the above steps with their truncated screens, you'll likely have to do it using your PC.

Again, welcome!
Ruby likes this.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Yes, a bit. The CTX OTOH is definitely configured for sitting up straight. I like leaning forward some, which is why I changed the handlebar. But I still need the DCT.
Ruby likes this.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 12:10 PM

I don’t want to leave the wrong impression. Yes, I need the DCT but that doesn’t mean that I don’t love it. It works beautifully with the torquey CTX engine. I don’t miss shifting one bit. I’m one who keeps it in Sport mode, occasionally overriding it with my thumb or forefinger. Sweet!

Also, while marketed as a cruiser (naked version) the CTX handles like a modern standard, which is to say very nicely indeed.
Professor*76 likes this.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:

I have a few complaints about Ridley. Its top speed is about 75mph. It seems a little sluggish from a stop but I'm not sure how much better the CTX700 would be. The seat height is 24.5" & I'm 6ft. I have a 2007 so its getting a little long in the tooth and, as previously mentioned, they aren't making any new ones. Unfortunately, there aren't many CTX700 DCTs out there and finding one to test drive is a challenge. There was a new one last year at the dealer, but they wouldn't let me ride it.
I test rode a Ridley once and it rode very hard ...the seat was like concrete...but that's me....I also go for comfort...my 2017 DCT is very comfy and in sport mode very fast with great gas mileage.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CTX700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in