25 Oil Changes - 8 Sets of Tires - 100,000 miles - Page 3 - Honda CTX700 Forum
 85Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #21 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 01:05 PM

Have you tried AVON tires? Search AVONtyresUSA.com (yes tires with a "Y") call the 1-800 & ask the tech rep which tire your should use. Dennis Kirk always has good prices. I've always had great luck with them. great mileage, ride wet - dry handling, great tire. Use 1oz beads in the front, 2oz beads in the rear, smooth as silk @ 100+mph.

How about AMSOIL MC oil & filter? You can go twice as long between changes. Runs cooler, better mpg, less wear than other oils. Been using it in everything I own, since the mid 1980's. Never a oil related problem....just sayin'
Thumper likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 02:18 PM

Garage
I am lucky if I get 8,000 miles from the rear tire, front not much better.
I don't ride like an old fart or a racer. I think it is the road surfaces.
Thumper likes this.

CTX700 DE DCT ABS 35K+ Miles
Madstad W/S, Honda Side Cases, Bestem T2012 Top Box, Go Cruise throttle, HID headlight, Big Floorboards, Centerstand, Heated Grips, Accessory Socket, Crazy engine guard, Wind guards

Kawasaki Versys 300, 5K Miles

post #23 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroomr View Post
In 100,000 miles? Do you mean you only inspected (and possibly adjusted) twice, or that you inspected more times than that but only had to make an adjustment two times?
I have to look at the log book again but if memory serves me right, I did 4 inspections and twice I found valves out of spec. This last one had two exhaust (one for each cylinder) that were tight.

"The Road Goes On Forever" REK

IBA #23562

post #24 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olegoat345 View Post
Have you tried AVON tires? Search AVONtyresUSA.com (yes tires with a "Y") call the 1-800 & ask the tech rep which tire your should use. Dennis Kirk always has good prices. I've always had great luck with them. great mileage, ride wet - dry handling, great tire. Use 1oz beads in the front, 2oz beads in the rear, smooth as silk @ 100+mph.

How about AMSOIL MC oil & filter? You can go twice as long between changes. Runs cooler, better mpg, less wear than other oils. Been using it in everything I own, since the mid 1980's. Never a oil related problem....just sayin'
Thanks for the suggestions!
Actually I have installed Avons on her bike and they are great! She likes the Michelin PR4 better for rain and corners. We have been getting some pretty good mileage on these based on the kind of riding we do (ignoring her typo in the original post). We eat up a lot of road miles on all types of roads.
I do use beads in all our bikes and believe in them. They work!

As far as oil goes, I could go longer between changes but have always felt better changing between 3k and 5k miles. I use Mobile 1 Racing 4T in all bikes. The Amsoil is good too but I'm getting high mileage on my bikes and no problems so far. We are spontaneous travelers and never know where we might end up. I hate changing oil on the road in a Advance Auto parking lot!
TheMagster and Daddy Dave like this.

IBA #23562
post #25 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheels View Post
I am lucky if I get 8,000 miles from the rear tire, front not much better.
I don't ride like an old fart or a racer. I think it is the road surfaces.
Type of tire, road surface, rider weight, style of riding, balanced wheels. Lot's of factors affect wear. I would think you should get more than 8,000 miles though.

IBA #23562
post #26 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 04:18 PM

good afternoon....''I do use beads in all our bikes and believe in them. They work!'' where do you purchase these beads and what is the installation process?...i lost a stick on weight and was fortuate to notice it on the floor...taped it back on but like he concept of beads....put them in and forget about 'em....thanks
Thumper likes this.
post #27 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 04:56 PM
TIP

Some have been using sand in truck tires for years and swear by it. I would think beads would be better.
Thumper likes this.
post #28 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 05:27 PM

Question for the ones using beads. Yall haven't had any problems with tires staying balanced? The reason I'm asking I put some in the front tire just before we rode out to Florida a few years back and sometimes it was smooth as glass and sometimes it beat me to death. Tire was Dunlop American Elite it was bouncing so bad it cupped the tire slightly had the beads removed before coming home and spin balanced. Have any of yall experienced this. It was bad enough at times my wife was asking what was wrong. We were on our Harley Ultra. 🤔 I did alot of research before putting them in and I didn't find any negative.

Bryan
post #29 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderpat View Post
good afternoon....''I do use beads in all our bikes and believe in them. They work!'' where do you purchase these beads and what is the installation process?...i lost a stick on weight and was fortuate to notice it on the floor...taped it back on but like he concept of beads....put them in and forget about 'em....thanks
Just look up eztirebeads on the internet. I use 2oz in rear and 1oz in front. The newer tire manufacturing process is pretty good and most tires are well balanced. If you tire has a white or yellow dot on the side of it just line that up with the valve stem. To install them, you add the beads to a plastic bottle that comes in the box and before putting the valve stem in you squeeze the beads into the tire. Very simple actually!
SpartaPanther likes this.
post #30 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIP View Post
Some have been using sand in truck tires for years and swear by it. I would think beads would be better.
I read that somewhere! I haven't tried it but it sounds logical.

IBA #23562

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CTX700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in