Back in the saddle again! - Honda CTX700 Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Back in the saddle again!

The accident wednesday 4/18/18
I was at a stoplight waiting for it to change when a car impacted the back of my motorcycle.The cars left side front bumper impacted the rear wheel and ended up being raised off the ground allowing for the cars front wheel to spin freely. The driver on realizing that that their wheel was spinning proceeded to let off the gas and the car rested on the right “brake light” and saddle bag. After disengaging the two vehicles I made my way off the street to a business parkinglot with the driver of the car following.
The woman driving said that she was busy trying to steady her grocery bag (s) and looked away from the road. Liability was clearly established by her actions,confession and she was ticketed for the infraction.
I called the police to come oversee the ordeal and the officer that arrived began to take notes for the police report. In his dealings with myself and the other driver I was aware that there was a difference in his attitude towards me and the woman. I got the impression that he looked at me as if I was the offending party or just wasting his time. Sure enough his report listed the damage to mybike as if it was nothing more than a ding in the paint. But the motorcycledealership damage assessment proved otherwise -------- $9000.
That cop’s attitude bothered me and still does; so I tracked him down and made him change the report to reflect the true damage amount.
My emotional state was calm at the scene of the accident but I could also tell that adrenaline was numbing me up. But within an hour I started to have spasms in my mid back. I then called a chiropractor and was able to get in.
My feelings that first day where one of first disappointment that I am hurt. Secondly disappointment that my favorite past time was going to be interrupted for awhile. Little did I know it would be interrupted for a whole year.
Three months of therapy put me back together; although I still experience some phantom shoulder and neck pain at times. The worse part was yet to come; that being dealing with the insurance company. Their motto is “we have the money and we have the power, but if we don’t have the power then we delay, delay, delay. They delayed by sending me through a maze of 13 different agents and stringing out the claim for a whole year. Most every motive when an insurance company has to pay is about leverage; the first time I encountered this side of them was after I got the damage assessment.
They wanted me to leave the bike with the motorcycle dealer; “because that is how they do things”. Yet I wasn’t about to leave the bike with over 2k of custom work and accessories on the bike. This was a smart move on my part, since they never intended to pay for anything other than a stock bike.
An attorney was not an option for me since the accident was considered minor and besides there was no way for me to pay out of pocket fees for hiring one. So I had to find alternative ways of gain legal assistance.
One such avenue was to put in a complaint with the State Insurance Commissioner. Supposedly insurances companies hate to be sitedby the Insurance commissioner because they do keep records of company infractions. However I hate to say this; the impression I got from them is that they function under the color of law and really don’t have any real power. But I still took advantage of their services and frequently sited the insurance company’s infractions as if the commissioner could apply pressure.
A second avenue of support came from my use of online legal services; mainly “ask a lawyer” web sites. Two or three different sites answered a lot of questions for me; plus I had access to their QA forums.
I was also having to adopt a legal frame of mind in the event that my claim ever did end up in court. In this respect I kept two sets of daily records; my physical pain and my emotional pain. These records covered a lot of issues which could be useful in court as well as indetermining a settlement.
Legitimate issues that normally determine the course of a settlement are as follows.
1. Loss of use
2. Loss of joy
3. Physical impairment
4. Emotional impairment
5. Potentially shortened lifespan
6. Mental anguish
7. Loss of companionship (riding buddies)
8. Loss of enjoyment of life
9. Emotional distress ----------- bouts ofdepression, lack of energy
10. Bodily injury Pain and suffering
11. Loss of consortium (Loss of friends)

Another matter that was on my shoulders was my need to read the contracts that the insurance company sent me. Wherever I was being asked to sign a form it required that I scrutinize the legal as I would anyother contract. Insurance companies add language that work against you and can be binding if not detrimental to your claim and future resolve. One such example that I found in a release form went like this;
The form says that they want to be released from liability,but on execution of the release “it does not bar the right of the released parties to pursue legal remedies against me, my heirs, executors, agents and assigns.” “Against me and my heirs? !!!”
I wrote back and I told them that I can’t sign this release unless you allow me to modify the language. In their typical fashion they said; “let us know when you are ready to sign”.
This attitude did delay my settlement simply because I didn’t know what recourse I had and they weren't offering any support. Eventually an “ask the lawyer” suggested that I just modify the release to my own satisfaction and see if they agree. Itworked; from that time on I was modifying every form they were sending me and within short order we were moving towards a finalizing the claim.
The difficulty in this whole process is going through the physical, emotional, intellectual and spiritual struggles all by my self. Besides the biker withdrawals that hampered me for months there was a lot of psychological stress which hampered my health. To this day I trying to over come IBS. In essence I was being held against my will for a year. Make no mistake an insurance company is a master at manipulation and control when it comes to having to pay out money; they do this for a living.
They're your best friend when you are handing them money, but ask to be compensated for damages and their game sends you down a dark hole of fear, anxiety and depression. It’s a prison I never want to experience again.
But the good news is I’m back in the saddle, I have a new CTX with only 2500 miles on it, the weather is nice and I have a date with150 miles of open road.

Last edited by Gordon; 06-12-2019 at 04:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 07:58 PM

Sorry to hear of your accident but glad you're getting back in the swing of things again. However, you were dealing with a poor company, and not a sweeping representative of the industry. I've worked in auto insurance for 40 years, and oddly enough 4 of 4 companies I worked at handled claims professionally, promptly and fairly.
jgrandmont, CTX2fer and Daddy Dave like this.

2015 ctx700 faired dct
my other toys:
UNFORTUNATELY UNABLE TO BE IDENTIFIED
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdaniels4 View Post
Sorry to hear of your accident but glad you're getting back in the swing of things again. However, you were dealing with a poor company, and not a sweeping representative of the industry. I've worked in auto insurance for 40 years, and oddly enough 4 of 4 companies I worked at handled claims professionally, promptly and fairly.

State Farm

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 11:48 AM

Garage
howdy gordon former riding buddy. wow, i certainly wish i had known some of this so i could remembered ya in prayer. yuppers on keeping your eyes on the ball when dealing with insurance companies. a month ago i bought a new car and on my way to salem to be with family dealing with open heart surgery, i was rear-ended on I5 at the aurora exit with little visible damage. i went and had an estimate in salem and they found the attachment points severed which wasn't visible. when i got home i had an estimate which included "refurbished" bumper cover. on a new car---come on. so i went to another and insisted it be a new bumper cover which was how it was bid by them. i got it back yesterday looking new , but what if i had not noticed "refurbished"?
i'm glad to hear you are back on a scoot. i know a little of how you might have been feeling. i hope you will be recovered enough to be comfortable riding again and able to customize the newer one well. i'm still riding some , but the meds seem to have made me less adaptable to heat and cold so i find less times when there is just no question that i'll investigate and experience the world outside the cage.
i notice a few new potential riding buddies in your general area and i hope you can find some that want to do the same places as do you.
ken

lotsa miles and smiles to ya
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctxdawg View Post
howdy gordon former riding buddy. wow, i certainly wish i had known some of this so i could remembered ya in prayer. yuppers on keeping your eyes on the ball when dealing with insurance companies. a month ago i bought a new car and on my way to salem to be with family dealing with open heart surgery, i was rear-ended on I5 at the aurora exit with little visible damage. i went and had an estimate in salem and they found the attachment points severed which wasn't visible. when i got home i had an estimate which included "refurbished" bumper cover. on a new car---come on. so i went to another and insisted it be a new bumper cover which was how it was bid by them. i got it back yesterday looking new , but what if i had not noticed "refurbished"?
i'm glad to hear you are back on a scoot. i know a little of how you might have been feeling. i hope you will be recovered enough to be comfortable riding again and able to customize the newer one well. i'm still riding some , but the meds seem to have made me less adaptable to heat and cold so i find less times when there is just no question that i'll investigate and experience the world outside the cage.
i notice a few new potential riding buddies in your general area and i hope you can find some that want to do the same places as do you.
ken

Thanks Ken. I miss our rides. Think about a three wheeler if you find the scoot is not staying upright.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 02:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Thanks Ken. I miss our rides. Think about a three wheeler if you find the scoot is not staying upright.
Go for it! Three is my preferred number! (as everyone knows by now!!)
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 03:46 PM

Garage
sorry to hear about such a drastic situation. Glad to hear that things have finally worked out and that you are recovered and back riding. We often take our safety and health for graned and only realize that when either is endangered. Hope you have lots of safe and enjoyable miles to ride.
350Four likes this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 08:44 PM

Wow Gordon the stress and anguish that you must of been under so glad you got it all worked out. I pray that you don't have any lingering problems and the ones dealing with the temperature go away. I PRAY BLESSINGS upon you in Jesus name amen.

Bryan
350Four and CTX2fer like this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Roadrunner View Post
Wow Gordon the stress and anguish that you must of been under so glad you got it all worked out. I pray that you don't have any lingering problems and the ones dealing with the temperature go away. I PRAY BLESSINGS upon you in Jesus name amen.

Bryan
Thanks brother
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
State Farm
Well from experience I can tell you state farm can be real pitas when they have a mind to. I'd been stiff armed by them many times professionally between carriers. Sometimes you run into a good adjuster. Tell the truth there's not many of those anymore. They take these kids, teach them nothing, toss them out in the field or on a desk.
350Four likes this.

2015 ctx700 faired dct
my other toys:
UNFORTUNATELY UNABLE TO BE IDENTIFIED

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CTX700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in