Centerstand problem 2014 CTX DCT - Honda CTX700 Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Centerstand problem 2014 CTX DCT

Recently bought and installed centerstand . I cannot get the bike to move up onto stand without first placing an piece of 2X6 board under rear tire and even then my weight 170#The bike is barely enough to get bike to roll up onto stand. Bike has original tires and is the Fairing model DCT. The bike was in NEUTRAL WITH PARKING BRAKE OFF. Came with Hepco-Becker instructions for mounting . Any suggestions or help appreciated. wvirnwkr
Ruby likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 02:22 PM

Yep. Several of us were just not able to do it. The tire raises off the ground more than a factory center stand. Guess I need to bulk up. Anyway you'll hear all about Technics and rightfully so, but alas, some of us just can't do it.
Ruby and SpartaPanther like this.

2014 CTX700 dct
2016 NM4
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

thanks MTVIC for the reply---was hoping there was a technique that someone had discovered that I could try to to get the bike up without putting on extra body weight ---- perhaps making a longer removable/portable extension arm on the stand whjere you apply weight/foot pressure for more downward leverage. wvirnwkr
Ruby likes this.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvirnwkr View Post
thanks MTVIC for the reply---was hoping there was a technique that someone had discovered that I could try to to get the bike up without putting on extra body weight ---- perhaps making a longer removable/portable extension arm on the stand whjere you apply weight/foot pressure for more downward leverage. wvirnwkr
I think i remember seeing a post where some one added a lifting strap where the passenger hand holds typically are, and that helped them.
Ruby likes this.

Keep 2 Wheels Down, 73
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Drey87----- Since I ride solo I turned the left passenger footrest over so it is solid to use as a lifting handle but it did not help much maybe a strap or other gismo would help. wvirnwkr
Ruby likes this.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 06:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvirnwkr View Post
Recently bought and installed centerstand . I cannot get the bike to move up onto stand without first placing an piece of 2X6 board under rear tire and even then my weight 170#The bike is barely enough to get bike to roll up onto stand. Bike has original tires and is the Fairing model DCT. The bike was in NEUTRAL WITH PARKING BRAKE OFF. Came with Hepco-Becker instructions for mounting . Any suggestions or help appreciated. wvirnwkr
Is your stand a Honda part from WeBike/Japan?
I think WeBike also sells a similar Honda centerstand, which is taller than the one being used by many of us, (& Too tall). On my stand, I have about 1.5" clearance under rear tire.
With my left hand on left grip, right hand on the passenger "handle", right foot moving centerstand down, I level the bike, begin to pull up slightly with my arms and, MORE Importantly, push my body weight downwards onto the stand, (then actually standing on it), kind of rocking the bike rearward in one motion. Body weight pushing down, does most of the work, arms do more just to guide the motorcycle. It helps to have long-ish arms and you must wear sturdy soled boots/shoes to avoid hurting your foot.

Make sure you have read about the weak mounting bolt supplied w/stopper, it is known to break. (btw; posting this without knowing who Hepco-Becker is)

EDIT: just found "Hepco-Becker" online. Appears to be a good product, method of using remains the same.
Ruby likes this.

Last edited by 350Four; 06-08-2019 at 06:47 PM. Reason: add
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 07:08 PM

i grab the saddle bag bracket and lift and step down....much...much easier than my old kawasaki concours....what i used with the kawasaki was a tapered board(more that 45 degrees if you can) ,placed it tight under the real wheel and that helped tremendously...some find leaning towards the rear and pulling(as was mentioned) on the handlebars(which need to be straight) aids in the process...i also make certain that the center stand is touching level on both pegs...practice on a flat and level surface and you'll get the hang of it
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 07:55 PM

I've got a easyup center stand for my Harley Ultra and with this stand I can put the bike on center stand with my wife sitting on the passenger seat with me straddling the bike. The best I can tell it's because the arm is longer that you step on, with factory Harley one it's as yall are saying it's extremely hard to lift.

I think if you would get a small peace of pipe to put over the arm that you step on it would help tremendously. I am posting a picture of the arm on my easy up stand it's 12 inches long from where it's welded to the stand to the end hope this helps.🤗

Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190608_183626_1560038087231.jpg (249.2 KB, 11 views)
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 11:32 PM

wvirwkr,

two things:

1) did you get the right stand? It may be the wrong one, and too high.

2) assuming you did get the right stand, have you wound the preload on the rear suspension up all the way? As you have found out, it helps if the back of the bike is higher, and increasing the preload does that. Unfortunately, it also makes the bike lean more when it is on the side stand.

See the link in my signature - I ended up chopping 20mm off the legs of the centrestand, and it's really easy now. With the bike on the stand the tyre is about 32mm (1-1/4") off the ground, and on the side-stand with no-one on the bike the shock is at full extension.

Gonzo
Ruby likes this.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Gonzo and everyone who replied. Hepco-Becker stand is correct size. Tire is 1.25 inches off pavement fully extended. Must now increase rear shock spring to raise back of bike . Hopefully find a sweet spot for ride comfort and stand operation. The members and Forum are Awsome many thanks for your time and concern. WVIRNWKR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CTX700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in