Lane Filtering - Honda CTX700 Forum
 67Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Lane Filtering

Call me uninformed. Just today I noticed last year Utah passed a bill that went into effect May, 2019 allowing limited areas where motorcycles can "filter" between stopped cars at intersections.

Please read the rules, then tell us what you think:
» The main reason is to prevent being rear-ended at red lights, i.e. it's safer between cars than behind them.
» Traffic must be stopped, no provision for any lane splitting between any moving vehicles at any speed.
» Must be between two lanes headed in the same direction.
» Maximum speed while filtering: 15 MPH
» The road must have a 45 MPH or lower speed limit. (Several sights say "under 45 MPH", the news site that seemed to be checking their facts said 45 or lower)

So what do you think, would this be good for other states as well?
JH700CTX, TGR-MAVERICK and Ruby like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'll chime in with a few of my personal thoughts:

1) There's mountains of mole-hills to argue both ways about the problems in CA caused by splitting way outside the allowed CA law.
I'm interested more in IF we could follow any law in general and be courteous to cagers while doing it, what would make us the most safe?

2) I'm thinking the bikers between lanes should merge about even with the cagers to show them respect and gain their trust. Sure, if there's room in front of the stop line without blocking the walk-way, all MC in front will be gone before a car crossed the intersection. If MC's are lined up between two lanes, merging every other one shows more respect. Maybe more than they deserve, but a little can go a long way.

3) (In PA where splitting is not recognized as legal,) I usually line up behind the last car, aimed at and ready to jump into that space or the shoulder. I'm more nervous than I should be watching for the first car behind me to not be on the phone. I'd be more than willing to stay beside the car I was behind, and let that car go first if I could just be in more protected space, especially right after a hill or curve.

4) 45 MPH why? The danger when stopped in front of higher speed traffic is worse. This makes no sense at all to me.
Ruby likes this.

Last edited by kujawskir; 05-15-2019 at 12:53 PM.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 03:53 PM

I love anything what makes US close to lanesplitting legality.
The only thing I don't understand here is 45 mph rule. I don't see any reason for it except preconception.
JH700CTX and kujawskir like this.

Last edited by Patam; 05-15-2019 at 06:19 PM.

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
First off, there aren't many over 45mph intersections. Those roads traveling that fast anyway are considered highways. Highways are designed to move mass flow quickly and orderly. Lane sifting is considered a small form of disorderly. I see two reasons to enact this rule. One, to keep the flow uniform - orderly. As for highways, you can always easily pass so there is no real need anyway. On the contrary, passing in slow speed area's are nearly impossible in traffic, so sifting becomes a plus at a red light to take advantage. Sifting in slow speed is beneficial for slower speed orderly cause slower speed is far less orderly, we have all seen how these crazies drive. Bikes ahead of the line usually disperse well ahead of traffic naturally, so this helps get them out of the equation.

So as to where you think the primary reason for sifting is rear end collision's is not the case. The real argument is traffic/logistics. The small safety factor here is just a bonus. A car behind a bike driving down the road isn't much different than one coming to a red light.

As for general lane spitting, it is total disorderly - chaos. Safety goes down for all!
DanFelix, kujawskir, Ruby and 1 others like this.

post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

Lane filtering and lane splitting are two completely different animals. Filtering allows a motorcycle to move slowly to the front at traffic lights while traffic is stopped. Lane splitting forces another vehicle at great risk to share the lane with a motorcycle while traffic is moving. Filtering is considered much safer over splitting in actual practice since it minimally interferes with the flow of traffic if done correctly. It normally poses only a small risk to rider and other surrounding vehicles compared to lane splitting. Its still a compromise and risk still does exist but not nearly as much. The biggest problem with filtering is overcrowding. Too many motorcycles and cars packed together at a controlled intersection can create logjams thereby interfering with traffic movement. Left and right turns can become a serious problem adding to the confusion. Another major problem deals with vehicles pulling out of parking lots. Filtering forward between stopped cars can easily result in T-bone type collisions.
kujawskir, TGR-MAVERICK and Ruby like this.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 11:38 PM

I "filter" at intersections and "lane share" (that's the legal term in CA) at slow speeds. We have many times, on freeways with 65 mph speed limits, and sometimes on the ones with 70 mph limits, that traffic is dead stopped for long periods. I "filter" through the stopped traffic, and "Lane share" when it's just crawling. My personal limit is around 20mph. CA Guidelines (not laws) suggest that the rider should not be going more than 5mph faster than the cars or truck they are passing between, so If traffic is moving at 15, I'm doing 20 and that's enough for me. Many times, I have to pull into a lane to let other, faster, riders go by me. My feeling is if they want to piss-off every cager, I'm not going to get in their way, but I won't participate in high speed lane splitting.

As I've said on other threads, I won't be sitting, stopped, behind a black smoke belching diesel pickup, unless I'm in a cage with a HEPA cabin air filter, on the A/C system.

This is just my opinion on what I see as "right" for me. I recognize all other riders' and cagers' opinion.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 11:45 PM

I hope anyone who against lane splitting has a huge experience of it to know all the pros and cons.
I was driving motorcycle with lane splitting for about 15 years. I think that it must be legal. And if there is right rules of it - it is safe.

Last edited by Patam; 05-15-2019 at 11:48 PM.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:24 AM

Saw lane filtering occur in Florida one day and immediately a cop chases the guy down into a Lowes parking lot....I followed and could hear the cop giving the guy "The Briefing" from a long ways away...

"I don't care how they do it in California, this is Florida and If I see you do that again"
Whew...

Shaking his finger at him and holding a ticket book in other hand...

This a test signiture
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 08:13 AM

So for those in the state that don't know the law exists, will see the bike coming up the side of his car and stop at the line, making the car guy mad.
NOT a good thing.
They had better make this WELL KNOWN.

And why only at a stop?
DO you have a lot of problems with bikes/cars getting rear ended in Utah??
Haven't heard of any here.
I just see this as a bit weird.
kujawskir and Ruby like this.
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel13 View Post
So as to where you think the primary reason for sifting is rear end collision's is not the case. The real argument is traffic/logistics. The small safety factor here is just a bonus. A car behind a bike driving down the road isn't much different than one coming to a red light.
I agree with you, and the true hidden reason might be as you say. Most of the news articles on the new Utah bill state directly they used rear end collisions as the "stated" main reason, some including the statistic that 102 people were rear ended in 100 days.
Ruby likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CTX700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in